Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Trips / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 am

bsd
Do you like suprises ? Some people don't. What about if you're told it will meet your greatest expectations.You still would rather know beforehand. Or maybe just maybe something deep down says-
this time ....go for it!
Have a good one;
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

Re: Trips / WeeksEnd wine

by YoelA » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm

I think what we will do tonight is open 2005 Four Gates syrah for the red and 2010 Domaine Netofa for the white.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Shavua Tov Harry!

It was so hot this shabbat in Jerusalem, almost a 100F!!! I felt like a chicken roasting in the oven...

Friday night:

Ella Valley, Merlot 2005: This was truly great! :D Dark garnet and full-bodied, a mature wine with jammy raspberries on the nose, these showing then also on the palate with blackberries, dark chocolate and well integrated tannins leading to a spicy and veeeeeeeery long, luscious, mouth-filling finish. YUMM! I'd drink any bottle left over the next 12 months to avoid wasting one of the very best Merlot.

Shabbat lunch:

- Tishbi, Cabernet Sauvignon Estate 2007: Still a very solid wine.
- Teperberg, Silver Late Harvest Riesling 2010: Same here, very pleasant and refreshing when served well-chilled.
- The BBB (Bartenura Blue Bottle Moscato) 2011: First time with the 2011. Almost as transparent as Sprite. Tasted like Sprite. Was it Sprite?! :roll: (Btw, I love Sprite! But why adding 5% alcohol?!).

Hoping (I know I will be disappointed) for a less hot week, all the best!

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:57 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2007 Binyamina, Zinfandel, Reserve
2009 Bartenura, Ovadia Estates, Morellino di Scansano

Enjoyed both immensely. The morellino, after 2 1/2 hours at the table, started to show "heat", sharp alcohol. I do not know if what I ate affected the taste buds, or that whatever supplies of the wine, one might have left over, should be consumed ASAP.

A good week to all,

Isaac
Last edited by Isaac Chavel on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:08 am

2009 Recanati Carignane Reserve with a 40 oz dry aged prime rib steak. The wine was delicious but only really opened up toward the end of the meal. It was a lot more closed than the last bottle I had.
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:21 am

Erev Shabbat treated by host to Yarden Cab Single Vineyard Jonathan. They dont come much better.
Shabbat Livni Pinot Noir, which was ok.

Have a good week
User

Jon Tabak

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 am

Los Angeles

by Jon Tabak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:04 am

2007 Covenant Cabernet Sauvignon
2003 Yarden Syrah
2005 Yarden Syrah
2007 Yarden Yonatan Syrah
2009 Bravdo Shiraz
2010 Psagot Shiraz
http://www.KosherWino.com - Supporting your kosher wine habit
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:13 am

Shavua tov.
Quiet shabbos without guests so enjoyed one of my personal favorites: Yarden Mediterranean '07. Great as always.
no avatar
User

Alek W

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

by Alek W » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:00 am

Friday evening: Abaya Le Rouge 2009 - a blend of Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignan, and Petit Verdot. Rogov had not tasted this vintage; the blend is different from 2008, with a significant share of Shiraz, but it remains deeply aromatic with soft tannins and abundant fruit. Very good!
Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 - needed time to open, reached its peak after two hours, but somewhat faded within an hour. At its peak was marvelous. Apparently, drink up.

Shabbat lunch: Black Tulip 2007 - an interesting wine, I'd score it at least at 90 (as opposed to Rogov's 88). I wonder how good was 2006 vintage that earned Rogov's 91.
Saslov Adom Shiraz-Cabernet 2005 - a decent wine, but not very exciting.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:32 am

Jon Tabak wrote:2007 Covenant Cabernet Sauvignon
2003 Yarden Syrah
2005 Yarden Syrah
2007 Yarden Yonatan Syrah
2009 Bravdo Shiraz
2010 Psagot Shiraz

Jon:
The '03 Yarden Syrah wasn't over the hill?
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:53 pm

2010 Segal's Fusion Red
2007 Gilgal Cabernet -- A quick note about this one -- I forgot the history of how this brand came into development, but this bottle was brought over to me and I thought it was great for the price (apparently it only cost $7). Very reminiscent of Yarden Cab
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:08 pm

We had a bunch of people over for Shabbat.

DALTON RESERVE SAUV BLANC 2011-DELIGHTFUL

TEPERBERG KINOR FORTIFIED SEMI SWEET WINE-PORT STYLE, PERFECT FOR KIDDUSH AND THOSE WHO WANTED A SEMI
SWEET RED

FALESCO UMBRIA 2006- EVEN AFTER IT WAS DECANTED FOR 3 HOURS, IT STILL WAS NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE 2005. TRIED IT THE NEXT DAY AND STILL WASN'T INTERESTING

SHIRAH POWER TO THE PEOPLE SYRAH- DAMN THAT WAS GOOD. PERFECT WITH THE ROAST MY WIFE MADE.

THEN A BUNCH OF LIQUOR- MACALLAN 25, LAGUVILLAN 1988, DEATH'S DOOR WHISKY (CLEAR), VILLA MASSA LEMONCELLO, GLENFIDDICH CASK OF DREAMS.

Good week to all.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

by Andrew B » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Shawn Johnson wrote: MACALLAN 25 ... GLENFIDDICH CASK OF DREAMS.

How about some TNs for these?
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:2010 Segal's Fusion Red
2007 Gilgal Cabernet -- A quick note about this one -- I forgot the history of how this brand came into development, but this bottle was brought over to me and I thought it was great for the price (apparently it only cost $7). Very reminiscent of Yarden Cab

Gilgal + GHW line formerly known as Gamla (and still sold in the rest of the world under that label). Where do you get it for $7???
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Awesome
Great
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

by Andrew B » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:

Gilgal + GHW line formerly known as Gamla (and still sold in the rest of the world under that label). Where do you get it for $7???

Apparently it was purchased in a Los Angeles area kosher supermarket.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi Harry,

Domaine Bunan Bandol Rose' 2011 - Its color of light peach with copper tones sets the table for the breezy elegance that follows. The nose is nicely perfumed with dominant notes of red grapefruit and jasmine, leading to a mouth of racy ripe strawberry, orange blossom and some cotton candy. While the wine is well made, it is on the ripe side, with luscious fruit but lacking focus and acidity. Luckily, it is completley dry. The alcohol level is rather high for a French Rose' at 13.5% AbV. This Provencial rose' is a traditional blend of Mourvedre, Grenache and Cinsault. I paid $30 at Schnapps. B/**

Galil Mountain Alon 2009 - The components of this blend are Cabernet Sauvignon 46%, Syrah 42%, Petit Verdot 9%, and Cabernet Franc 3%. The wine opens with a nice spiciness, standing in lieu of acidity, that is backed-up by red and black fruit. It doesn't shine on its own, though it pairs well with food. It has its place at the table as an every day, entry level wine. 15% AbV. I paid $20 at James Richardson, but after the discount it came out more on the order of $14. C+/**

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Friday night - Gvaot Herodion Merlot 2008.
Shabbat morning kiddush at friends - first tasting of Scapa 16 year - much smoother than the 14.
Shabbat lunch - Flam Rose 2011 (Thanks GG for the recommendation) and Tzora Or 2011 Dessert wine.
Zvi
User

Daniel Kovnat

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 am

Israel

by Daniel Kovnat » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Elie Poltorak wrote:

I saw this post and said to myself, "What the heck is Gilgal?" I never heard of it! So I did my internet thing and came to the first URL in a Google search and that confused me further, as there was a TN by Victor Schoenfeld, the vintner at Golan Heights Winery. But further searching, brought me back to this forum and a concise clarification of the situation by our dear mentor, Daniel Rogov, z"l. I paste it here:

Gamla/Gamla/Gilgal – Let the Carnival Begin (K)

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:35 pm
A fair amount of time has been devoted in recent weeks to the question of the Gamla wines currently being produced by Royal Wines, the Gamla wines being produced by the Golan Heights Winery and The Gilgal wines also being produced by the Golan Heights Winery.

No politics and no speculations on my part this time – simply the reporting of facts and tasting notes.

Even though the wines in the Gamla series were produced by the Golan Heights Wines since their inception, the intellectual property (that is to say the "brand") in the USA has been under the ownership of The Royal Wine Corporation which is based in the United States and Royal imported and distributed those wines in the United States. For reasons best known to CEO's, economic advisors to those CEO's and perhaps psychologists, Royal decided to break from the Golan Heights Winery production and to produce their own wines under the Gamla brand. Simply stated, from now on those Gamla wines from the 2009 vintage and on appearing in the USA will have been produced by Royal in Israel for shipment to and distribution in the USA.

As to the Golan Heights Winery, the wines produced under the Gamla label will continue to appear under that label in Israel and in some thirty countries in which the winery distributes their wines. Not to lose out on sales, the winery has simply re-branded these wines for export to and sale in the USA and the new brand will be Gilgal, those bottles now appearing in the USA from the 2008 and 2007 vintages.

This was written last year and included his TN on the Gamla/Gigal wines at [url]http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=37855
[/url]
I especially like the part where he says,
"For reasons best known to CEO's, economic advisors to those CEO's and perhaps psychologists..."
At least here in Israel it is clear that Gilgal doesn't exist and Gamla is made by the Golan Heights Winery.
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:00 pm

hi; as PinchasL i too had the Alon and reading his tasting notes helped me clarify in my mind what i had experienced;up to the point of classifying it as as entry level table wine.Granted it can be attributed to a lower level of sophistication in pallete appreciation yet i wonder if that classification could have been colored by a thread a few weeks ago where the galil mt wines were termed as entry level.Is the Alon in the different category than the yiron which often scored above 90 and will benfit from some more bottle age? also enjoyed a bottle of tabor shiraz 2009;now thats a wine thats a good bottle but definitely a table wine.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Harry J wrote:hi; as PinchasL i too had the Alon and reading his tasting notes helped me clarify in my mind what i had experienced;up to the point of classifying it as as entry level table wine.Granted it can be attributed to a lower level of sophistication in pallete appreciation yet i wonder if that classification could have been colored by a thread a few weeks ago where the galil mt wines were termed as entry level.Is the Alon in the different category than the yiron which often scored above 90 and will benfit from some more bottle age?

Hi Harry,

My classification of the wine as entry-level was indeed referencing that post by Chaim Shraga, consciously intended to concur with the opinion expressed therein.

-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Fri Night - Flechas Malbec 2009 - not as impressive as when I first had it, but the quality and variety of kosher wine has gotten better... Still, different enough to be worth a look as long as you can get it in the 20 buck range
Sat lunch - Affligem Tripel - truly truly great beer
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:25 pm

gaston k wrote:Fri Night - Flechas Malbec 2009 - not as impressive as when I first had it, but the quality and variety of kosher wine has gotten better... Still, different enough to be worth a look as long as you can get it in the 20 buck range
Sat lunch - Affligem Tripel - truly truly great beer

This is the second time someone has said they did not like the 2009 Fleschas - is it going bad? That wine was close to unapproachable a few months ago!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:26 pm

I had my last bottle of Harkham Aziza Shiraz, 2009 - loved ikt but it is gone now - so drink up:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/06/18 ... hort-ribs/

Had it with braised short ribs - a simple and lovely recipe that kills!
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
Next