Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mixing a Smokey Peach Salsa with ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Mixing a Smokey Peach Salsa with ?

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:12 pm

I have some really nice bone-in center cut pork chops I want to grill tonight. Sides are roasted asparagus with a little walnut oil and a drizzle of balsamic, and Japanese sweet potatoes. I have a little Trader Joe's Smokey Peach Salsa left in a jar. What can I mix with it to make a nice glaze for the chops? Soy sauce? Oyster Sauce? We usually like home made applesauce with our chops but I ran out of last years supply a few days ago. Any ideas?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Re: Mixing a Smokey Peach Salsa with ?

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Here's what I did. Chopped up a chunk of shallot very fine, threw it in the salsa jar, added a tad of freshly ground nutmeg, zest and juice from one lime, and a little wild honey. Shake it up....tastes so good! Should be a great glaze for the chops, with the rest served on the side.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:00 pm

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

Just the Smokey Peach Salsa sounds interesting. Will look for it when I step inside my first TJ on our next trip to Porland. What else should I look for there?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Just the Smokey Peach Salsa sounds interesting. Will look for it when I step inside my first TJ on our next trip to Porland. What else should I look for there?

Pastures of Eden imported Feta Cheese...from Israel. By far, the best Feta I have had, very creamy, wonderful taste.
Bright yellow and green plastic covering.

I love their dried nuts and fruits section....great ingredients for making a lot of interesting additions to salads. The only place I can find shelled nuts of all types.

A boneless leg of lamb marinated in Burgundy wine and pepper. In the fresh meat section, very good. We always grill it.

If you have a significant other....I love their Tea Tree Tingle body wash....very refreshing and clean smelling. Or maybe you would love it, as well.

Chipotle Salsa in glass jar

Hearts of Palm in glass jars

Their boxes of frozen Croissants are very good, come 8 to a box, I think

Fage Greek yogurt with the honey cup

They always have interesting breads

The small square bottle of balsamic vinegar with red label, " Trader Joe's Aceto Balsamico di Modena I.G.P."

They have a salad dressing with pear and Gorgonzola....it is in the refrigerated section above the clam shells and bags of mixed lettuces.

Orange Muscat Vinegar....with the vinegars....excellent

You can find some really nice cheeses there, as well. I love an English Cheddar layered with Stilton, the caraway Havarti.

http://ilovefoodfromthemed.blogspot.com/2007/12/pastures-of-eden-feta-cheese-from.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Karen, we were off camping so I wasn't able to answer, but my first thought was maple syrup and citrus. You pretty much got into the same zone.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov