Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Yiron 2007

User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

WTN: Yiron 2007

by Ryan M » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:08 pm

Opened for a forum offline at my place this past weekend, I do believe this impressed those who had little or no experience with Israeli. I thought it was lovely, and held it's own against some big hitters.

Galil Mountain, Yiron, Galilee 2007
Nice, aromatic but low key nose, with prominent notes of white pepper and juicy dark fruit. On the nose and palate, a personality of tobacco, blueberry, cassis, bright red fruits, herbs, and earth, with dried rose petal aromatics. Juicy, with Mediterranean acid balance and personality. I like it a lot. 5 more years. 62% Cab Sauv, 31% Merlot, 7% Syrah. Kosher ***1/2
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: WTN: Yiron 2007

by Gabriel Geller » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:20 am

Hi Ryan, nice to see some of you guys on this side of the forum. The Galil Mountains Yiron is indeed consistently one of the very best values from Israel and an excellent one to present to newbies of Israeli wine.

Wishing you a pleasant weekend,

GG
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks for sharing

By Mediterranean acidity, do you mean it's relatively low or relatively high?
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Yankton, SD

by Ryan M » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Lior Yogev wrote:Thanks for sharing

By Mediterranean acidity, do you mean it's relatively low or relatively high?

Relatively high, with a citrusy tone to it - and being a Italophile, that's something I love in a wine. I generally see Israeli reds in a Mediterranean context, a thought inspired by our dearly departed Rogov.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:05 pm

I was curious because some international tasters (most famous is probably Squires) pointed out a relatively low acidity for (many) Israeli wines

Personally I think it is indeed true in general, but "many" is definitely not "most"

Lior
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Yankton, SD

by Ryan M » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Lior Yogev wrote:I was curious because some international tasters (most famous is probably Squires) pointed out a relatively low acidity for (many) Israeli wines

Personally I think it is indeed true in general, but "many" is definitely not "most"

Lior

Well, I guess I would have to agree that, amongst Old World countries, Israeli wines have lowish acidity - but acid is still more important to the wines than for any New World country. I should clarify that when I talk about "Mediterranean acidity," I'm referring more to the character of the acid rather than the level of the acid per say - but it still has to come through. However, I think the lowish acidity of some Israeli wines gives them a supple quality that I find attractive.

The Yiron certainly was lower in acid than the rest of the mostly French and Italian lineup it was in.
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

Lior Yogev

Rank

Wine guru

A green Israeli campus

by Lior Yogev » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:06 am

Hi Ryan,

No argues about your impressions! I just wanted to understand what you meant
Everybody loves the Yiron :)