Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Taking Sides / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Taking Sides / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:44 am

b'sd
Constructive criticism.When breaking them down;which is easier construction or criticism? One can take mere moments and one ussualy takes time.
Fighting for a point or a cause can be integral and or illuminating.Yet we must be wary of the motive.Should it be even slightly tainted by self interest it will be doomed to reach its potential.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

Re: Taking Sides / WeeksEnd wine

by Yossie Horwitz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:15 pm

To celebrate the birth of a baby girl earlier this week, we will be having the Yarden Syrah Ortal 2004 and for a "simchat bat" later, a 2 wines each of my other children's birth years - the Capcanes Peraj 2001 and Recanati Special Reserve 2001, Bazelet Hagolan Merlot Reserve 2006 and Yatir Shiraz 2006 and Shirah, Syraph, 2008 and Brobdignagian, Besomin, 2008. Hoping 2012 yields some good stuff...
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Opening tonight: 1995 Louis Marini cabernet. Hope we don't have to give it any criticism, constreuctive or otherwise.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi Harry Shavua Tov and again, mazal tov to Yossie!

Friday night:

Hevron Heights, Isaac's Ram, Cabernet Sauvignon 2005: As good as my recent previous experiences.

Shabbat Lunch:

Gvaot, Herodion, Vineyards Dance 2010: needed time to open up (last time was at the winery 6-7 weeks ago and then the bottle had been opened for a while) but then was as great.

Wishing all a quiet, safe and blessed week,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:47 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2010 Teperberg Red. nice. nothing fancy.

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:32 am

Cantina Gabrielle Pinot Noir this shabbos, along with some Springbank 15 to celebrate my first half-marathon length training run, and some Balcones Brimstone, which was given to me by a client for having done him a favor.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
no avatar
User

E Segel

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by E Segel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:14 am

Brobdingnagian Grenache 2007 - drank my last bottle, clearing out space for the 2010 vintage (just got in my shipment!). Great full-bodied wine.
Capcanes Peraj Petita 2010
Regards,
Eli
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:22 am

Mazal tov Yossie! Lots of nachas!

Ella Valley '06 Merlot B++/***
Ella Valle '10 Sauvignon Blanc B+/***
Both were delicious as you'd expect from Ella... Restrained, really shows the varietal. The merlot was especially good. The SB wasn't very complex but nice acidity and balance, very food friendly.
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:29 am

Quiet Shabbat
Barkan Assemblage Eitan. Very nice and very good value for money.
I like occasionaly diffent blends
Shavua Tov and see you in Raanana this week
no avatar
User

Adam N

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 am

by Adam N » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:10 am

Mazal Tov Yossie!

Had a Carmel Appelation series Cab Franc 2008. Didn't need much time to open up and had a pleasant palate with soft earthy tones.
Great value at 75 nis.
Hope everybody's Shabbat was as good as mine.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:09 am

hi;second time with golan zion creek 2010. dark red, tastes of chocolate and plums and a nice finish. h
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Yossie Horwitz wrote:To celebrate the birth of a baby girl earlier this week, we will be having the Yarden Syrah Ortal 2004 and for a "simchat bat" later, a 2 wines each of my other children's birth years - the Capcanes Peraj 2001 and Recanati Special Reserve 2001, Bazelet Hagolan Merlot Reserve 2006 and Yatir Shiraz 2006 and Shirah, Syraph, 2008 and Brobdignagian, Besomin, 2008. Hoping 2012 yields some good stuff...

WOWOWOWO

Mazal Tov May She Merit.. Torah, Chupah V'Masim Tovim..
We are very happy for you and wish you the best!!!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Shalom Harry and a Good Week to all.

2007 Gush Etzion Cabernet Franc... Kind of basic and Acidic on Opening then got better thru the meal and realy nice the next day...
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:49 pm

2010 Ben Ami Merlot? Cabernet? Who knows? It was at a shul function and effectively washed down barbeque chicken. Also had a pomegranite wine (not Rimon-- maybe Revah? from Armenia) that tasted like, well, pomegranites. Fruit wines are not generally my thing but this was ok if your goal is an alcoholic pomegranite fruit juice. Got into an argument with somebody that insisted you couldn't call it wine, that it should be called a liqueor.
By the way the chicken was outstanding.

Shavua Tov!!
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:24 am

Hi Harry,

Yarden Odem Vineyard Chardonnay 2010 - The wine has an inviting nose of tropical fruit and green melon. Although some of it is lost in the transfer from nose to palate, there is enough left to keep the mouth engaged. Add to that a nice dose of smokiness and vanilla and you've got quite an enjoyable wine, that is not weighed down by butterscotch and excessive creaminess. 14% AbV and $23 at the James Richardson duty free shop in Ben Gurion airport, but after the discount was applied the total cost was closer to $18. B-/**

Ella Valley Cabernet Franc 2009 - With this wine showing up on the local shelves in the past few weeks, I opted to taste a bottle to decide whether or not to purchase some for later use, understanding that it is not in its optimal drinking window. The wine is indeed closed, showing a substantial amount of mouth drying tannins that cover a thick layer of intense red fruit. Lurking behind all this is another layer of decadent chocolate and contraband cuban cigars. I will most likely buy some to start drinking in two years and then assess its development over a five year period, but had the wine shown acidic spunk and possesed a heavier body, I would have felt even more comfortable about its long term prospects. Although I'm scoring it based on its present appeal, the promise of future development is already somewhat tangible in the way it teases the senses, therefore contributing to its score. 14% AbV and $27 at Schnapps B/**

-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 am

I had the Dalton Petite Sirah 2010 Friday night. This wine was amazing, full bodied, a great nose and mouth bursting with dark fruits and a deliciously smooth and buttery finish that gently coats the mouth. It was so good I finished the whole bottle on my own.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:10 pm

No wine but polished off a growler of Brooklyn Brewery Gold Standard Kellerbier over Shabbat - reminded me of a very upscale Carlsberg - refreshing and smooth
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:05 pm

TEPERBERG MERITAGE 2010

DALTON ROSE 2011

Superb all around. Good week to all.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:20 pm

2010 binyamina reserve Carignan . This is a very enjoyable bottle of wine.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Mazal Tov on your new tax exemption, Yossie!

Was in Tel Aviv and Naharia for a wedding/Shabbat Hatan. Drank 1848 Special Reserve 2006, 2006 Yatir Forest and the 2009 Erez fume Blanc the entire weekend.
no avatar
User

Adam N

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 am

by Adam N » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 am

Adam M wrote:Mazal Tov on your new tax exemption, Yossie!

Was in Tel Aviv and Naharia for a wedding/Shabbat Hatan. Drank 1848 Special Reserve 2006, 2006 Yatir Forest and the 2009 Erez fume Blanc the entire weekend.

Adam,

I need to start hanging out with your friends more. :wink:
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:27 pm

Well I had a few bottles of Tio Pepe Sherry Fino - more about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=44434

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Adam N wrote:
Adam M wrote:Mazal Tov on your new tax exemption, Yossie!

Adam,

I need to start hanging out with your friends more. :wink:

Hi Adam - Yes, life was indeed very good for a few days. I actually went back to read my post and only now observe that it was quite snotty sounding, which wasn't my intention. So I will add that (i) it was terribly hot in Tel Aviv during my time there, (ii) numerous times I was forced to rich, full bodied red wine with fish and (iii) the wine glasses were so dirty that they seemed as though they has just returned from a picnic on the beach. 8)