The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Wine Focus for June: Rosé!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:37 pm

WTN : 2010 Cabernet de Saumur, Reserve des Vignerons.

Wines from this co-op show up in AB from time to time so I am always interested to sample. 100% Cab Franc, $18 Cdn, 13% alc, synthetic cork.

Medium reddish strawberry color, light nose with floral tones and berries. Nice structure here, zippy acidity, cherry, strawberry. "Quite berryish" from across the table, seems quite dry and has good length. Think I might try to find that Mulderbosch Cab Sauv.

**** Like the sound of that 2011 François Chidaine Touraine Rosé James D posted on.
no avatar
User

D. Updike

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu May 04, 2006 4:34 pm

Buffalo

by D. Updike » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:04 pm

A few this year so far:

WTN:

2011 Skouras "Zoe" Rosé (Greece): Moderately dark color with some raspberry, black cherry flavors. Very soft, juicy finish. Would have like to see a little more structure or zip, but this is nore than acceptable. $11.99

2011 Tres Ojos Rosado (Calatayud, Spain): VERY, VERY dark in color. 50/50 Garnacha/Tempranillo blend. Extremely fruity, and gulpable with raspberry, strawberry, and electric-cherry-kool aid flavors. A big boy at 14.5% alc. Did I mention that this was dark in color? $6.99

2011 Zinc Rosé (Vin de Pays d'Oc): Comes in a 1 liter bottle (oh yeah!). Very light salmon color, very nice flavors with no dryness or austerity. This would be a great choice for a pop-and-pour at a party. Not life changing but you could drink this all day and not tire of it. $7.99
Dan Updike
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Salil wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:As can be found in the Goodbye Ryan thread, I recently opened a bottle of the 2010 Baudry Chinon Rosé which was, as usual, drop dead gorgeous: less fruity now than a year ago, but still quite lively with great mineral and herbal notes and a delightful lightness. At its price point, I can't think of a finer rosé.

Even at other price points, does rosé get much better than Baudry's?

Have you tried the 2011 yet Mark?

That probably depends on outlook, Salil. Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Rosado is a very different, but very appealing, wine. Tempier Rosé is also fantastic, but it's been years since I've tasted some.... because of pricing. And, no, haven't tried the '11 yet and probably won't until the Fall shipping season rolls around.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Calling Fla. Jim

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Thomas G wrote:Bedrock Ode to Mouverde 2011 is pretty good. Hey where's Fla. Jim?

He just got back to Sonoma from Florida a few days ago. I'm sure his posts will be back.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Masciarelli Rosato Colline Teatine 2011. Stunning deep ruby red color. Cranberry and cherry nose. Tart cherries, cranberries and what..? ..plums on the palate. Has that nice tart finish that lingers. Quite the bargain at 9.99 Ohio price.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Tavel Les Vallognes 2011 - SCA Jean Olivier, Aquéria - Alc.14% - (c.€10), made from Grenache and Syrah.
Tavel used to have the reputation of being France's most serious rosé but amongst the Mediterranean appellations its reputation has been overtaken in recent decades by pinks from Bandol, Palette and the best estates in Côtes de Provence, Languedoc and Roussillon.

This was a lot more enjoyable than the surprisingly inexpressive Ch.Simone Palette which I wrote about a week or so ago. Colour was the usual Tavel ruby, quite different from the Provençal salmon. Body was fuller and there was more generosity and structure than with most pinks and there was plenty of perfumed red fruit, which just stopped short of the boiled sweet taste which disfigures a lot of Mediterrean pink, together with sufficient freshness and acidity to make the bottle dangerously easy to finish in spite of the high alcohol; 15.5/20.

(This producer also makes the better know Château d'Aquéria. Is it a different wine or the same wine masquerading under a different label for sale through supermarkets? Does anyone here know? I don't find it inferior to my memories of bottles with the Ch. d'Aquéria label.)
Tim York
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Wine Focus for June: Rosé Rose' of Sangiovese

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:26 pm

2007 ALEXANDER VALLEY VINEYARDS ROSE' OF SANGIOVESE, SONOMA COUNTY, CA. Wetzel Family Estate. 13.5 alcohol. Screwcap. Pinkish-coral color. Pomegranate and berries on the nose and palate (or perhaps watermelon as the label suggests.) Surprisingly fresh and young. I had forgotten about this rose' and was relieved to find it still very drinkable and pleasant. Good with fried chicken. I would give it 87 or 88 points as a very good rose'.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:41 pm

For me, Spanish roses are the most consistently satisfying (especially for the price), and this is amongst my most favorite. Had it sometime in the past few weeks.

Bodegas Faustino, Faustino VII Rose, Rioja 2009
Black cherry, blackberry, strawberry, with hints of leather and spice on the finish. Very nice fruit and body, a very satisfying rose. ***

Should also give a shout out to my notes in the Goodbye Ryan thread, and the awesome Baudry Chinon Rose 2010!
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Ryan M wrote:For me, Spanish roses are the most consistently satisfying (especially for the price), and this is amongst my most favorite. Had it sometime in the past few weeks.

Bodegas Faustino, Faustino VII Rose, Rioja 2009
Black cherry, blackberry, strawberry, with hints of leather and spice on the finish. Very nice fruit and body, a very satisfying rose. ***

Should also give a shout out to my notes in the Goodbye Ryan thread, and the awesome Baudry Chinon Rose 2010!

Hi Ryan,

I tend to agree with you. I had a Muga rose once that was just delicious and spot on for a rose. Nice strawberry nose, good red fruit on the palate with nice acidity. Good finish too.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

David Raccah

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:31 am

Of the kosher rose this is the best that I have had in sometime.

2011 Castel Rose – Score: A-
The wine is unique a real nice kosher rose that has more than just strawberry and nice fruit. This wine has complexity and concentration that belies it obvious youth. Clearly not a wine for cellaring but one that should be fine for a year or two, which is saying something for a kosher rose. The nose starts off with rich mineral, heavy attack of citrus, strawberry, raspberry, and nice cherry. The mouth is filling with good mineral, slate, bramble, and ripe red fruit.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:48 am

2008 Fringe Petit Rosé, Avidan, Israel

The winemaker, Tzina Avidan, passed away earlier this year.
In her memory, her daughter is holding 4 tasting meetings, each Friday in June.
Last Friday it was the time for wines from the achieve.

This bottle, forgotten in my fringe, originally gave fresh strawberries, both on the nose and in the palette.
I was very curious to check it after 4 years - an aging Rose????

Surprisingly, it was very nice. The fresh strawberries gave way to a fruity confiture.
A very nice experience indeed.

Tzina, this was a toast in your memory, indeed a Fringe wine!

Eli
no avatar
User

Lyn Archer

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:57 am

Seattle

by Lyn Archer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Have been out of town - see June is all about one of my favorite flavors, rosé!

Just got back from SW France and Spain - on board with listed recommendations.

Must add my all-time fav American pink (~$19) : Adelsheim Willamette Valley Rosé. (Pinot Noir, Saignée method, 19% oaked- rest steel-tanked.)

Flirty pink slip color w/ elegant, dry finish - pairs nicely with any summer fare or venue, BBQ to beach house. Small production makes this one hard to find, but worth the search. Cheers!
Lyn
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Tom and Ryan:

Since you like Spanish roses, here is a TN from the only rose I've managed to consume this month:

2010 Flor de Paramo, Rosado Prieto Picudo, Vino de la Tierra de Castilla:

Prieto Picudo is the grape, and it is one of those local rarities that had almost vanished. This is a rather dark colored salmon with maybe some magenta hints. It is quite fragrant, with lots of floral and grassy notes (not unlike some reds I've had from this grape). Quite full bodied for a rose, with strawberry and pomegranate fruit and a hint of tar. Almost tannic, but well balanced. Very good, had a synthetic cork. $14.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:15 am

2011 Arnot-Roberts Touriga Nacional Rosé Luchsinger Vineyard
Literally my first word on tasting this was WOW! What a great blend of berry and tropical fruit tones. There's great balance as well, with the wine drinking so easily I thought it was evaporating in the glass. Amazingly refreshing and really just fabulous. This is my favorite Rosé, eclipsing even the vaunted Baudry.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2011 Arnot-Roberts Touriga Nacional Rosé Luchsinger Vineyard
Literally my first word on tasting this was WOW! What a great blend of berry and tropical fruit tones. There's great balance as well, with the wine drinking so easily I thought it was evaporating in the glass. Amazingly refreshing and really just fabulous. This is my favorite Rosé, eclipsing even the vaunted Baudry.

This is special, wish I had more.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Wine Focus for June: Rosé! another Tavel

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 pm

2009 Ferraton Pere et Fils Tavel rose' "Les Lauses." 13% alcohol. Deep coral color with transparency. Red berries, subtle herbs, a little bland. Probably not a great wine to begin with and no longer as fresh and young. I have one more bottle that I will open this summer. IMO inferior to the 2010 Tavel Les Vignes des Precheurs Rose' that I had previously. I did find it "acceptable" and even found a hint of rose petals on the third evening.

Bob Parsons, I have two bottles of the 2011 vintage of the Cabernet de Saumur (from 100% Cabernet Franc). You posted on the 2010 vintage. I am saving them for a tasting scheduled for July 21st so haven't tried one yet.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 am

DOMAINE DES CARTERESSES TAVEL ROSÉ 2011
A blend of Grenache (50%), Mourvèdre (15%), Clairette (13%), Picpoul (12%), and Syrah (10%)

Bright cherry red in the glass. A bit darker than I am accustomed to seeing in a rose.
Cheesy, spicy on the nose.
Medium weight, cheesy, apple, raspberry, cherry, good acidity, clean and refreshing, juicy, with a bitter bite.
Rather bitter on the finish.
Weighing in at 14 abv, which, to my mind, is rather high.
Purchased at $15.95 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:07 am

Bandol (rosé) 2011 – Domaine La Suffrène – Alc.14% - (c.€10), a blend of Mourvèdre (40 %), Cinsault (30 %), Grenache (20 %) and of Carignan (10 %). In August 2010 I drank the 2009 and enjoyed it a lot. There were, of course, strong similarities between the two but I think that this was slightly inferior. Colour was the typically Provençal very pale pink with a salmon tinge and the nose was discreet but had pleasant notes of red fruit with an agreeable tang. The palate was much more structured and body fuller (medium+) than with 95% of pinks and was graced with nice red fruit (some strawberry) with a sweet touch which I didn't note on the 2009, touches of liqueur and slight rose aromas; the finish was quite firm and a trace of alcoholic warmth gave extra support. However, as the wine warmed up during the sticky warm evening, I was slightly disturbed by a dusty old book touch which I like in old wines but seems inappropriate in a one year old; 15/20+.
Last edited by Tim York on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:DOMAINE DES CARTERESSES TAVEL ROSÉ 2011
A blend of Grenache (50%), Mourvèdre (15%), Clairette (13%), Picpoul (12%), and Syrah (10%)

Bright cherry red in the glass. A bit darker than I am accustomed to seeing in a rose.
Cheesy, spicy on the nose.
Medium weight, cheesy, apple, raspberry, cherry, good acidity, clean and refreshing, juicy, with a bitter bite.
Rather bitter on the finish.
Weighing in at 14 abv, which, to my mind, is rather high.
Purchased at $15.95 (Canadian).

Bruce, I've just read an article in the RVF saying that the darker than usual cherry colour, which you note here and I noted in another Tavel, used also to be the norm in Bandol. Nowadays Bandol has been seduced by Provençal paleness to the extent that wines showing the historically traditional darker colour get refused the appellation on grounds of non-typicity!!

I once asked an Aussie wine-maker why his rosé was so much darker and more ruby than those in Provence and he replied with typical Oz arrogance "I can get that colour too by committing several wine-making errors" :? . In fact, errors or not, the Provençaux go to a lot of trouble to obtain the pale salmon pink.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:35 pm

WTN: 2011 Chateau de Lancyre Coteaux du Languedoc Pic Saint-Loup Rosé.

Just arrived in time for this months Focus wind-up. Could be some bottle shock here but Lancyre always delivers!
Light salmon pink color, cherry and roses on the nose which is rather light. Lovely palate feel with tart features plus berry fruits. "Watermelon and strawberries" from across the table, adding " this wine always delivers eh".

***** Tim your Domaine La Suffrène shows up here from time to time at one of the original privatized wine stores.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Wine Focus for June: Rosé! a Sancerre rose'

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:44 pm

2009 Terre du Maimbray Sancerre Rose', Loire Valley, France. Pascal et Nicolas Reverdy. 13 % alcohol. Presumably from Pinot Noir grapes. Eye of the partridge (Oeil de Perdrix) or pale salmon color with transparency. Astringent watermelon/unripe strawberry flavors with suggestions of citrus also--lemon or pink grapefruit. This was pleasant with garlicky bagel chips and chicken tenders but a little on the tart side. Of six rose' wines I tried this month my favorite was the 2010 Tavel Les Vignes des Precheurs bottled by Ravoire et Fils and second places goes to the 2011 Domaine du Salvard Cheverny rose'.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:56 am

I've been promised a taste next Tuesday of a legendary pink rarity, le Rosé des Riceys http://www.wineterroirs.com/2009/11/ros ... iceys.html made from Pinot Noir grapes in the Aube part of the Champagne region. I don't think I have ever seen a bottle of this on sale so I am quite excited about it.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:04 am

Tim, that should be a real treat. Wine Terroirs is a great website eh. Hope you can smuggle a bottle or two past the in-house PO!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Tim York wrote:I've been promised a taste next Tuesday of a legendary pink rarity, le Rosé des Riceys http://www.wineterroirs.com/2009/11/ros ... iceys.html made from Pinot Noir grapes in the Aube part of the Champagne region. I don't think I have ever seen a bottle of this on sale so I am quite excited about it.

And here it is.

Rosé des Riceys 2009 - EARL Champagne René Bauser - Alc.12% http://www.champagne-bauser.com/bauser-uk/f-intro.asp
Ever since I read a lyrical article about this rare still rosé in the 1970 edition on the Larousse des Vins, I have been longing to taste it and at last I got an opportunity at dinner at friends' home where it was served with savoury starters in the garden.

This rosé has a distinctly original personality. Colour was beautifully transparent and an exceptionally deep ruby, certainly as dark as a lot of "red" Alsatian pinot noir. The nose was rather shy at first but savoury fruit with sour cherry touches and minerals emerged with swirling. The palate was medium bodied and quite long with racy tangy fruit, lively acidity and with more complexity, underlying roundness and tannic structure than is common in pinks. This has class and is very different from from the sweeter fruited and more alcoholic pinks from near the Med and has enough substance to be a good pairing with white meat dishes and poultry. It had enough subtlety not to suffer IMO from warming towards ambient temperature during the summer evening. Well worth over a half a lifetime's wait; 16/20++.
Tim York
PreviousNext