Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Veal Short Ribs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Veal Short Ribs

by Jenise » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Found these at a good butcher in Canada two weeks ago and couldn't resist--especially at even money for the price of beef short ribs here! Never cooked them before and don't know how tender they are. Heck, they might be tender enough to marinate and grill. I'll test that later today. In the meantime, has anyone prepared this cut?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Veal Short Ribs

by Carrie L. » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Never have. Have never even seen them. I'll be eager to hear how they come out. May be worth seeking out!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Jenise, these sound pretty good...may give you some inspiration.

http://www.chefponzio.com/recipes/veal-short-ribs-marsala
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Never have. Have never even seen them. I'll be eager to hear how they come out. May be worth seeking out!

Well, it's veal and it's on a bone. How could that not be worth seeking out to someone whose rib-happy like you and me? :) But like you, never saw them before in my life though of course the animal's always had them. Our house guests, who arrive today, are also rather rib-happy, so they'll be fun to prepare no matter what.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, these sound pretty good...may give you some inspiration.

http://www.chefponzio.com/recipes/veal-short-ribs-marsala

That recipe looks delightful. Have a real soft spot for marsala sauces, as it was a heavenly marsala sauce in an Italian restaurant that made me aware that my mother's gravies (which I hated) were in severe need of an overhaul. I'll throw that in the mix for when Annabelle gets here in a few hours. I was thinking I'd do either a french country braise--like a veal sew, but with bones--or a different braise involving onions and tomatoes and white vermouth. But those are just reflexes talking--now, tomato's out, marsala's in. :) Thanks!
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:42 pm

My grandmother used to make a spring early summer stew with new carrots, new potatoes, fresh peas and parsley...the sauce was white lots of white pepper.

I'd also be tempted to lightly smoke and then braise them. What ever rub or sauce should be mild so not to lose the flavor of the veal.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Definitely a cut for long, slow braising. Never saw it as "short ribs" but only as veal breast and I buy it whenever I see it. If the slab is large enough- more than 4 ribs I make a pocket and stuff it with a savory rice, cheese mixture and then slow roast with wine. It is a very fatty cut that has loads of gelatinous tissues. Not to everyone's liking but I love veal ribs
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am

Methinks that "veal short ribs" is another name for veal stew meat. We have some in the freezer now for that purpose.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:58 am

I'd think that short ribs are breast (as Christina notes), while veal stew meat is typically shoulder (though leg scraps from cutting cutlets from leg might be added).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Definitely a cut for long, slow braising. Never saw it as "short ribs" but only as veal breast and I buy it whenever I see it. If the slab is large enough- more than 4 ribs I make a pocket and stuff it with a savory rice, cheese mixture and then slow roast with wine. It is a very fatty cut that has loads of gelatinous tissues. Not to everyone's liking but I love veal ribs

No slab! These were cut into 'short ribs', smaller/paler but otherwise just like the beef ones. And they were perfectly tender in 90 minutes.

Your method sounds delicious. Used to see veal breasts a lot at a middle eastern market in So Cal. Never got around to doing anything with one but did realize that stuffed veal breast is very popular in certain cultures. Wish mine had been one of them!