Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sunday Brunch in Manila.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Sunday Brunch in Manila.

by Noel Ermitano » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:05 am

There being no Sunday lunch at my in-laws' today, the 1st July 2012, even if I wasn't 100% due to lingering effects of bad sinusitis/hay-fever, I took the family out for brunch. Ever since regular drinking/dining buddy, Richard Joye, posted photos of and told Catha and I about Cyrille Soenen's new Sunday brunch at Impressions, Catha had been wanting to try it out. Thus, that's what we did today.

The Appetizer, Bread, and Salad Station - Here, aside from assorted breads, salad fixings, jamónes, cheeses, and other ubiquitous fare, one could get, among others, pan-seared-as-you-order foie gras, some avruga caviar (with made-to-order blini), and fresh uni (sea urchin) and ikura (salmon roe).

My starter plate of: Ikura, Capers, Smoked Salmon, Chilled Prawn, Uni, & Avruga.

Pan-Seared Foie Gras

A small salad (para healthy).

The boys offer a toast of the Champagne Ayala Brut Majeur I had brought along.

The Carving Station is where one can get Roast Beef (w/ Yorkshire Pudding & Gravy), 24-Hour Sous-Vide Veal Shank, Etc. Catha and Mauro went for the roast beef, while Joaqi went for the veal shank (both of which I forgot to take photos of).

The Grill Station is where they grill-as-you-order Prawns, Scallops (which Joaqi got a lot of), Duck Breast, Lamb Chops, Steaks, Etc.

Grilled Prawns (the first platter was over-cooked, this next one, after we told them not to over-cook it, was done perfectly).

Grilled Duck Breast (be sure to ask for it rare, as Lorenzo found out).

Grilled Lamb Chops (done "pink" as I requested).

The Dessert Station is very well-stocked, featuring a Chocolate Fountain that will surely excite the little ones.

I'm not sure if Joaqi still qualifies as a "little one", but he certainly got excited by the Chocolate Fountain. He took all the dessert photos by the way.

Opera Cakes & Pecan Tartlets.

Tiramisu

Chocolate-Glazed Cream Puffs

My chosen desserts.

The tables are topped with drawing paper, with crayons available for little children to amuse themselves. My children are no longer little, so Lorenzo and Joaqi just kept writing insults to each other.

A double espresso to end my meal.

Joaqi has his usual English Breakfast Tea w/ Cream & 2 Lumps.

In all, Impressions has a very impressive Sunday brunch buffet - though not as vast as that of other hotels, Impressions' is well-chosen, makes use of markedly higher quality ingredients, and offers more sophisticated dishes. At "only" P1500/head all-in, I highly recommend their Sunday brunch. Great job setting it up, Cyrille! Until the next!
Last edited by Noel Ermitano on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Sunday Brunch in Manila.

by Jenise » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:28 pm

A foie gras station???????? That's just sick! I've never seen a brunch spread that elegant. Here in the States, as you probably know, Sunday brunches seem to be oriented toward the all-you-can-eat-crowd so more about breadth than depth, and the assumption seems to be that the typical patron is a family taking granny out for a birthday meal. The food is designed accordingly, and granny doesn't eat caviar.

Very impressive.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi, Jenise. The first time I experienced a buffet with a foie gras station was in 1997 or 1998 - it was at the brunch of the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. Didn't catch on in Manila until much, much later.

Best,

N
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Noel Ermitano wrote:- it was at the brunch of the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. Didn't catch on in Manila until much, much later.

Best,

N

I've stayed there. Never tried the brunch--breakfast was always the fruit plate from room service. Most intensely flavored, colorful and artfully arranged fruit plate EVER. Can just imagine what the brunch must have been like.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Jenise wrote:A foie gras station???????? That's just sick! I've never seen a brunch spread that elegant. Here in the States, as you probably know, Sunday brunches seem to be oriented toward the all-you-can-eat-crowd so more about breadth than depth, and the assumption seems to be that the typical patron is a family taking granny out for a birthday meal. The food is designed accordingly, and granny doesn't eat caviar.

Very impressive.

You got that right Jenise, and they charge a fortune for the meal. We simply cannot eat that much heavy food at one sitting. I grew tired of the omelet stations, the heavy creamed dishes, the assortment of pastries that come out of a box, and so on. I can make better food at home. In the summer months, our standard breakfasts for company is my home made breads, scones, or muffins, a myriad of beautiful fresh fruits (this IS CA after all, and we have it all) and always thick sliced, peppered bacon, or Boar's Head small ham slices, heated in a little butter and seasoned with garlic.
We serve this with fresh orange juice, and sometimes, mimosas. I just finished making two loaves of zucchini bread with orange zest, semi sweet chocolate chunks, and pecans. It has a heavenly taste, and is very pretty.

Our company this weekend will enjoy fresh blackberries, red and gold raspberries, sweet pineapple, and an heirloom Tuscan melon, with the above mentioned bread. I have blueberry pancakes for the kids, if they want, or a locally made granola made at the local Flour Mill.

I am sure I would enjoy the foods in Manila....they look fabulous.