Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Messages / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:24 am

bsd
Do you have something that saves messages when you don't answer your phone? Do you listen to all your messages always? Do you listen to them as soon as possible ? Personaly I find it fascinating that there are people who as a rule don't even bother listening to their messages. Obviously the world of messages extends way beyond on our phones.And yes there are those messages which are worthy of immediate deletion.But we need to be careful.For there are those to which it might worthy of paying a little more attention .
Have a good one; h
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Messages / WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Shavua tov Harry,

Friday night:

Lueria, Gewürztraminer 2011: This is whatI consider as being the best Israeli Gewurz in the off-dry category. Almost transparent as water with just a little green-ish color, this wine has a delightful nose of tropical fruits with obvious varietally correct lychee as well as pineapple, these showing also on the slightly fizzy palate together with juicy ripe pomelo and a hint of golden apples on a moderate finish. Paired interestingly pretty well with a spicy gazpacho. Delicious!

Binyamina, Zinfandel Reserve 2009: Dark garnet toward ruby, medium to full-bodied opening on the nose with notes of dry lavender and plums. On the palate sour red currants, plums and bitter olives with some notes of sweet and spicy wood leading to a softly tannic and somewhat bitter long finish. Nowhere close to the 2008, I'm not a fan.

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Private Collection Cabernet Sauvignon 2009: Simple nose of black currants and blackberries with this dark garnet wine, these showing also on the palate together with sweet oak probably due to the fact that this was aged partially in American barrels, black pepper and hints of chocolate on a moderately long finish. Ok, not bad for every day drinking but I'd rather spend an extra 5 shekels for the Appellation series.

HHW, Jacob 2010: Crowd pleaser, nice muscat as always for dessert, paired well with a caramel flan and banana cake.

Tomorrow Sunday is a day of fast and grief, 17 Tammuz (18 this year due to the 17 being Shabbat), so I wish an easy and efficient fast for those of you observing it.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:04 am

Post a 44 mile bike ride Friday afternoon I had a Brooklyn Lager. Then, since my wife and I were alone this weekend, I pulled a 2007 Galil Mountain Yiron out of the cellar. The wine was in prime condition, drinking very nicely.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:17 am

Hi Harry,

Tzora Shoresh Blanc 2009 - The aromatics are much nicer on the nose than on the palate, exhibiting lychee and citrus blosom. The bitter finish is a bit too much for me. Perhaps the next bottle will show better. 13.5% AbV and 90 NIS directly from the winery. C+/**

Vignobles David Cotes Du Rhone Villages Reserve 2010 - The blend is 60% Grenache and 40% Syrah. I had high hopes for this wine on the heels of my good experience with this winery's simpler Rhone blend, the Le Mourre De L'Isle, but those were dashed. The Grenache sets the tone, and quite poorly at that. It is dominated by a herbaceousness I cannot define well, lacking the fruitiness I expected, and is quite harsh and bitter. However, in its wake it leaves an intoxicating smell of chocolate in the glass. 14.5% AbV and $22 at Schnapps. D+/**

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:23 am

2000 Rubissow-Sargent Napa Valley/Mt. Veeder cabernet; my last bottle.
no avatar
User

Joel D Parker

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:32 am

by Joel D Parker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:08 am

Hi folks,

Went to a great restaurant Friday lunch for my brother-in-law's 30th birthday, called Yaffo-Tel Aviv. Despite the rather artless name, it's really state-of-the-art, and fun. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. Their kitchen is entirely observable, but it's not in the center of the room like some places I've been to. (I like to go have a look, but I don't want to spend my whole meal watching the chefs busy at work.) I had the 'catch of the day casserole', which wasn't what I think of as casserole at all, but rather a fresh fish fillet sitting in a lovely white wine and chicken broth sauce containing an array of fresh vegetables. Lovely. Everything was fresh, clean, and healthy feeling.

We drank the Shvo Vineyards, 2010, Rosé, which was great with my food, but probably less so with my brother-in-law's lamb chops. I also had a yellowtail ceviche starter that was fabulous and a perfect match with the wine. It's pricy, even for their lunch deal, but I think it's one of the very best restaurants in Tel Aviv right now. The wine menue is good, with good wines by the glass, and there were tons of bottle options for under 200NIS. The goat's cheese kanafe (Arab nest pastry) was an amazing dessert, and their espresso machine is a very unique old fashioned pull-style, giving fine espresso that I think our late food and wine critic would have raved about.

For dinner I made fresh pasta and a vegetarian ragu topped with three kinds of cheese. We drank the 2008, Pio Cesare, Barbera D'Alba. It was really a great wine, smooth and supple, with elegant tannins and a lot of acidity (tart, but not without depth). It was strong on the mid-palate, and very aromatic with layers of red and black fruits, earth, and minerals. It's going for 115NIS at Wine & More. We also had the wine on Shabbat day and evening, and it developed some more chocolaty flavors and the oak and tannins became a bit more prominent, but still keeping its juicy acidity.

(Wines and restaurant NK)

Have a great week,

Joel
no avatar
User

Philip Aron

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 am

by Philip Aron » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:33 am

Hi Harry,

Family get together, and the following offered.

Bravdo Cab Sav 2010.

Bravdo Merlot 2010.

Galil mountain Alon ,2009

Galil Mountain Pinot Noir 2010.

and of course, as at every reunion, the never failing to please, Flam Classico 2010.

All greatly enjoyed .
Last edited by Philip Aron on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:12 am

by Stephen Weil » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:42 am

Quiet Hot and Humid shabbat.
2009 Reserve Wild Yeast Viognier from Dalton.
Dont know what the wild yeast is but the chilled wine was terrific. Fruity but dry and could easily be mistaken for a chardonnay both in colour and taste.
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:34 am

Started off with some Macallan 12

I too had the Vignobles David Reserve and thought it was drinking superbly. No idea what Pinchas is talking about. Haven't heard one negative thing about the wine from anyone whose had a bottle.

Teperberg Kinor fortified red- Port like wine. Perfect as a dessert wine.

Good week to all.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Friday night

2007 Elvi Makor - Intersting and fun yet a little too fruit forward for me. Good

Shabbos Day

2007 Judean Heights Cabernet Sauvignon - Heavier and deeper than I thought the 05' was and I like that.
2009 Odem Mountain Volcanic Tigres - Still think this is the best semi-Dry Red on the Market... Silly

Glenlivet 15 Single Malt Scotch - Still dont know why so many find this to be a standard.. oh well
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night we opened a Yatir Forest 2005 to celebrate our son becoming a "Mefaked Pluga" (Company Commander) in the Israeli Army.
Shabbat lunch - Tzora Neve Ilan Chardonnay 2011.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Friday night I had the Covenant Red C 2008 - Enjoyed this one a lot, smooth and soft tannins with a lot of fruitiness in this full bodied wine. Decanted it through the vinturi twice before drinking and it needed it. Was just as good the next day (very little left). Shabbos day - Rochefort 10 - amazing!
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

by Stephen Weil » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:31 am

[quote="Z Spigelman"]Hi Harry.
Friday night we opened a Yatir Forest 2005 to celebrate our son becoming a "Mefaked Pluga"

Mazal Tov
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:13 am

Indeed, Mazal Tov Zvi!
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:43 am

Hi, Harry,

This week, 2009 Domaine Netofa. A bit too heavy for the warm weather. Yes, I was surprised as well. I never thought of it as a heavy wine, rather medium-bodied. But, I guess, not for the local weather. Otherwise, it was fine as usual.

A good week,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:25 pm

enjoyed the yarden syrah 2007. deep dark and smooth.h
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

by Stephen Weil » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:57 am

Harry who would not enjoy it
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

by Harry J » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:08 am

hi Steve; in a sense I know what you mean.However there are probably many serious wine drinkers who wouldnt be ok with this wine as its 15% alcohol puts it in a specific category>Especialy those who enjoy more than a glass with their meal. h
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Kind of quiet this week - maybe some are out and around. Well, I was interested in tasting the last of my low-priced kosher French wine, and I guess, by luck, I saved the best for last.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/07/11 ... es-dubois/

I lambaste kosher french wines, for their lack of price and quality, excluding Vignobles David and maybe one Willim. It is truly a mistake that the importers and French wine makers are doing to themselves. They are slowly pushing themselves out of the conscious of kosher wine buyers, unless you have more than 60+ dollars to spend. Anything else, other than the ones I highlight in the article, are not even worth typing - sad.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:46 am

David Raccah wrote:I lambaste kosher french wines, for their lack of price and quality, excluding Vignobles David and maybe one Willim. It is truly a mistake that the importers and French wine makers are doing to themselves. They are slowly pushing themselves out of the conscious of kosher wine buyers, unless you have more than 60+ dollars to spend. Anything else, other than the ones I highlight in the article, are not even worth typing - sad.

I totally second that.
no avatar
User

Stephen Weil

Rank

Ultra geek

by Stephen Weil » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:51 am

i third that
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:23 am

Fourth!
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am

Hmm...

Yes the USA has been improving and adding more options to the kosher section. Yes.
Israel is blooming very well. Yes
South America, Spain & Italy are showing better than average for sure...
BUT.

To cast aside the quality of France in such a blasé' fashion seems a bit odd from people here with very good palettes oui??

2009 Chateau De L'Anglais - Very nice fruit forward dry red bottle under $25
Coteaux de Tricastin - solid table wine for under $13
Vouvrey Clos De Nous - A Real winner for those in the Semi-Dry to Dry mode in Whites below $20
2010 Chateau De Parsac - this has people running to it in the Drink now mode on Release under $25
2010 Joseph Mellot Sancerre Blanc - This has been flooring those looking for a real Dry French white and don’t want the OAK of a Chardonnay - $30
And with the prices of the Chateau Royaumont were they are on the 2003-2005 I can’t imagine there are too many better buys
In the Market was $60 wine and now between $40-$30

Thoughts and lover be with your day,
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello Yehoshua,

I had the chance to taste through many of these at the Gotham event, and other than the Parsac, all are not worth the bottle they are in, in my opinion (hey Gary where have you been lately!).

The Vouvrey pisses me off because it so badly lacks acid that it tastes like a Popsicle
That Sancerre was not worth it, but there was one from Royal that was OK
Never have tried the Chateau De L'Anglais - thanks for the heads up.
The Pommeral is fine for the 2005 vintage - ONLY, but seriously, 40 bucks for a bottle of wine is still up there.

Thanks again for the heads up on a new bottle to try and add to my under 20 bucket, but you have to agree, that the pickings are slim, even if this one pans out. Three to me (of your list at the best) under 50 bucks, is a serious issue.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
Next