Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ruminations on a summer cold, day five

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Ruminations on a summer cold, day five

by Jenise » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Why are summer colds the worst?

Have had a lot of time on my hands to think about this. :| I've decided it's the way it's 75 degrees outside but more like, by turns, either just over 100 or just above freezing in my body. And then there's this clammy dew that's always on my forehead. Hate that.

The good part is all the fresh fruit around to eat, but the bad part is that it's too hot for the chicken broth and noodles that are a cold's best friend. I'm surviving instead on iced tea and cherries.

On another front: Anthony Bourdain's been spotted in Seattle filming an episode of The Layover, a show that much as I like Anthony I just can't warm up to. I learned about that from the website Eater which I've just learned has created a Seattle edition. Finally, some acknowledgement that the entire world doesn't revolve around New York and Vegas.

Oh, and Frank, the group project: I love group projects and was so excited to see your post. But you posted just as I was getting ready for out of town visitors, then they came, then we put on a party for 40 together and the day after they left, this cold hit. Between time and inclination, haven't been able to go back to that.

And lastly, no sympathy, that's not why I posted. It's just a summer cold, everyone gets them and no one likes them. I just thought I'd been a bit quiet and offered, basically, why that's been the case.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Ruminations on a summer cold, day five

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Never too hot for a hot toddy before bed.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Feel better Jenise. Is this strain of cold as bad as the one over the Winter? It seemed everyone was gettting it over and over and it lingered.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Feel better Jenise. Is this strain of cold as bad as the one over the Winter? It seemed everyone was gettting it over and over and it lingered.

This is the first cold I've had in about three years so have nothing recent to compare it to. I'll call it or any cold a good one if it goes away without moving into my chest!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Don't think of it as a summer cold, think of it as a possibly useful excuse for tanking a bocce game, should that come to pass..... :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

PS - hope you feel better (if not, I'll be preparing a specially located seat just for you!)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Bill, yesterday I had a bit of a setback but today I'm feeling better. Not requiring Even went to a wine tasting group meeting last night, and could smell all! I actually felt so punk around 5ish that I didn't want to go, but this group is so small that when Bob and I and the three bottles we always bring don't show up, it's a drag. Plus I always worry about passing something like this on. Was delighted to get there and find that two of the other four participants were at about the same stage with the same kind of cold. So, should be a lot better by Saturday if I didn't get reinfected last night. :)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Rumanians on a somber code, you say? Why are they sad?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Rumanians on a somber code, you say? Why are they sad?

That new stuffed up nasal accent IS hard to understand, isn't it. :)