Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

First caprese of the season!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

First caprese of the season!

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:34 pm

First caprese of the season! Mortgage Lifter and Italian Oxheart heirloom tomatoes and basil from the garden, fresh mozzarella from Lotsa Pasta, and Baracchi Tuscan olive oil.  

Do you love caprese as much as I do? It has to use fresh tomatoes, of course. Just picked from your own garden is best. 8) And fresh mozz, of course, not packaged shreds. I like to season it with good olive oil, a shot of lemon, kosher salt and freshly ground Tellicherry, with loads of fresh basil chiffonade. I know there are tons of recipes, though. What's your favorite?

no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Re: First caprese of the season!

by Jim Cassidy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Nice!

We had the first BLT of the season last night.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Caprese is da bomb. No doubt about it.

I'm all aboard your ingredients. Occasionally, I mix a little thyme with the basil or add a drop of truffle oil to the EVOO.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:53 am

Definitely one of the best things about summer! My recipe is very similar. Only differences are that I rarely add lemon and I like a little very coarse sea salt sprinkled on to finish.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 pm

We've been having caprese for a few weeks now, albeit with store-bought tomatoes under fresh mozz and our homegrown basil. We don't put lemon on it but do drizzle balsamic over it.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm so jealous! Have yet to have a real summer tomato. Can't wait, though. This is one of my favorite foods, and I buy and save my best condiment-quality olive oils for it. I think I use more than you, as I don't see any puddles in your picture. I would also add Maldon salt, the basil, lots of tellicherry pepper and leave out the lemon (many others use balsamic, but again with a GREAT tomato I wouldn't have any need for that), and insist that a good crusty loaf of artisinal bread was standing by to mop up every last drop of the magical liquid left behind on the plate from all of the above. That is almost the best part.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov