Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Peace Prize /WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:47 am

bsd
Going along with what's going on or taking a position.Agreeing or trying to make a point.
If the one from whom the position is coming is internaly balanced the right choice will prevail.
But that balance in itself is a well sought after commodity.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

Re: Peace Prize /WeeksEnd wine

by Z Spigelman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Harry.
Due to the ongoing heat, we are planning on Castel Rose 2011 and Gvaot Gofna Gewurztraminer 2011.
Shabbat Shalom.
Zvi
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Harry, folks, shavua tov!

As aperitif Thursday night (sushi for dinner, wouldn't have been a great pairing in this case IMHO...) :

Binyamina, The Cave 2008: Very dark- almost impenetrable garnet towards purple, full-bodied with on the nose ripe dark fruit, vanilla and hints of anise, this layered Bordeaux-blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot and 2% Petit Verdot aged 24 months in french oak barrels comes first on the palate with rich and ripe blackcurrants and blackberries, then moves on to mediterranean spices with cloves and black pepper, again blackberries, tar, fine cigar and vanilla with bracing acidity and somewhat still searing tannins on a long and mouth-filling finish.
Having not yet had the luck (I don't know if I ever will) to taste the Old Vines 2007, this is by far the best 'regular version' Cave ever, really delightful. :D That being said, I used to be regularly disappointed with The Cave wines until the '06-'07 vintage. I thought then that it was overpriced and somewhat too light (to be completely honest, the Petit Castel 2009 tastes a bit like The Cave 2005, lacking some body and depth for my personal taste). The wine was decanted for over 2 hours and still felt like it wasn't completely opened up so I'd recommend to cellar it for a few more years and if stored well should keep probably till 2017-18.

Friday night:

Tzora, Judean Hills 2009: Dark garnet with purple reflections at the rim, almost full-bodied with on the nose and palate forest fruits and a tiny hint of smoked meat and wet dirt, on the mid-palate black and red currants as well as blackberries, good minerality, acidity and tannins with mediterranean herbs and some dark chocolate on a moderately long finish. Nice, a solid wine from a great winery.

Oh! I almost left this one out:

Hararey Kedem, Shoham Merlot 2006: This is a winery that I had never heard about before, someone offered that bottle to my host but when I looked at the back label I found out my friend's name on it, Dr Ilane Abitbol. Ilane has a Phd in neurosciences as well as a diploma in enology and has worked as a freelance winemaker for several wineries around the globe and with many in Israel, Teperberg being the largest coming to mind right now. He now teaches winemaking courses at the Ben Gurion University of Beer Sheva among other things.
Anyway the wine was obviously over the hill, browning with an oxidized caramel-ish nose and that's really too bad as 2006 has produced in Israel some fantastic Merlots (Yarden Odem, Binyamina Reserve...). This wine won a silver award at the Eshkol Hazahav competition in 2008 and while I hold usually little respect for such contests, I could taste still some hints of raspberry and chocolate leading me to think that this one used to be probably a nice wine 2 years ago or so.

Shabbat Lunch:

Lueria, Gewurztraminer 2011: Again, 2nd week in a row with this delicious and refreshing off-dry wine. Greatly appreciated to try and forget the 95F outdoors today in Jerusalem. 8) I miss SoCal and Switzerland these days...

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:01 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Friday night: 2008 Tzora, Judean Hills, took a while to smooth out. Also, I felt some heat from the high alcohol. Hopefully, it will settle down with cellaring.
Shabbat lunch: In a word, Dalton.
2011 Chardonnay (unoaked). Delicious,
2010 Petite Sirah. Intended to serve 2009 but the 2010 came up by mistake. The 2010 was, for the moment, marred by overoaking. Maybe, with cellaring, the oak will settle down and blend in. If so, it should be delicious. Anyone else have similar experience?

A good week to all,

Isaac
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:38 am

2007 Chateau Haura (Graves), a $ 35.00 wine which was a steal at $ 7.00 and very nice to boot.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:51 am

Hi Harry,

Carmel Kayoumi White Riesling 2010 - The nose introduces you to notes of citrus, that are joined on the palate by stone fruit. The texture is nice with some petrol in the mix. Overall, I find this to be a very enjoyable summer wine. $25 at Schnapps and 13% AbV. B+/**

Hagafen Prix label Pinot Noir Soliel Vineyard 2005 - With plenty of bricking showing the wine has matured, I was glad for the opportunity to explore an aged Pinot, albeit perhaps prematurely. The fruit has receded, but it is still lurking in the background, coloring the experience with a layer of black cherry, not with tinges of raisin. The foreground is dominated by forest floor and mushrooms, with acid and tannin that have mellowed out, but not to the point declaring it dead. I have some bottles of the same vintage from Hagafen's other Prix bottling, the Fagan Creek, and I plan on comparing the two. Interstingly, when checking the notes I posted several months ago, I noticed that bottle did not come across as mature as this one. 13.5% AbV and about $50 directly from the winery. B/*

Best,
-> Pinchas
User

Daniel Kovnat

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 am

Israel

by Daniel Kovnat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 am

Hi Harry,

Erev Shabat -- Elan 2010 from Galil Mountain Winery, the newest of their Galil Series, blended from 45% Syrah, 45% Barbera, 7% Petit Verdot, and 3% Cabernet Franc with 14.5% alcohol. A very big nose and took a while to open up to reveal complex flavors of nuts, wood, and chocolate. B+/** at 70 shekels.

Shabat -- Dalton Alma White blended from Chardonnay and Viognier with nice muted fruity flavors balanced well with the Chardonnay to give an apples and honey taste. B+/** Also 70 shekels at the winery.

Have a good week, Dan Kovnat
Come on over to read about my experience tasting wines produced in Israel at http://www.israelwinetaster.com
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Four Gates Chardonnay 2009
Four Gates Pinot Noir 2009

Covenant Chardonnay 2009
Covenant Red C Cabernet S 2008

All drinking beautifully. My wife is crazy about the Four Gates 09 Chardonnay-loves the lighter style for the Summer. But undoubtedly the star of the weekend was the Pinot. Just a shame there is not more of this around.

Shavua Tov!!
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:54 pm

2007 Alexander Sandro (cab-merlot) - multiple bottles; widely enjoyed and a very good price point for a mid-level wine
2007 Gilgal cab sauv - also enjoyed and also a really good value for a bottom tier mid-level wine
Gilgsl brut - enjoyable; crisp and dry; went went with a double cream brie and Bucheron goat cheese
2007 Gamla Cab - just ok; strangly, I liked the Gilgal better even though it is very similar
2007 Psagot edom - strong black fruits; a little too fiery for me; I like the single vinyard cab loads better
Primo-V prosecco - really cheap sweet wine; wouldn't even make it into my picnic basket
2006 Yarden Merlot - the best of the lot
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:01 pm

[quote="Adam M"]2007 Alexander Sandro (
2007 Gilgal cab sauv - also enjoyed and also a really good value for a bottom tier mid-level wine
"Been a big hit here for the price point and just overall QPR

Gilgsl brut - enjoyable; crisp and dry; went went with a double cream brie and Bucheron goat cheese

This is a strange one yet told to be very good. a blend of 2008 and 2009 Grapes :)??
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Yehoshua Werth wrote:Gilgal brut - enjoyable; crisp and dry; went went with a double cream brie and Bucheron goat cheese

This is a strange one yet told to be very good. a blend of 2008 and 2009 Grapes :)??

What is strange? The blend of the 2 vintages? I would rather say disturbing due to the shmittah issues since the Gamla/Gilgal Brut is by essence a non vintage wine.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:56 pm

Yes for those who care it presents a bit of a WHAH??

I guess they thought this is so great ; then no matter of Shmitta?
Oh well on to the next NON vintage in 2010 :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Yes, exactly, it is schmitta wine. Very hard to tell unless you look at the fine print. A somewhat of a trap for the unwary
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:24 pm

It is unfortunate that some wineries tend to 'forget' that kosher doesn't only refer to the ingredients or supervision but also to morality and in particular one essential rule in the Torah: Bifnei iver lo titen michshol (You should not place an obstacle before a blind person). Wherever the 2008 vintage is not clearly stated on the front label there should be a clear indication that the wine is technically under shmittah status if it contains wine from such vintage.

Personally, I do drink as a consumer wine from both Heter mechira and Otzar Bet Din but as a retailer I must know ALWAYS when I should advise my customers of the shmittah status of a certain wine and this is starting to really p***ing me off that some well-reputed wineries with respectable kashrut supervisions are playing hide and seek with this already complicated enough issue!
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:54 pm

hi; galil mt cab 2010 ,enjoyed but cant identify the wine. en fuego merlot 2009,still ok.h
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Friday Night:
2009 Alexander Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - Israel
Great nose, Rich and smooth. Needed a bit of time to open up as well.. My Wifes top choice so she was happy :)

Shabbos Day: Finished up the Alexander and had some:

2009 Queen Esther Cabernet Sauvignon - Austria
Smooth simple and decent as Rogov would say a good Quafer for sure :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
Monsey, NY USA
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Still hot and steamy - Fri Night had a bottle of a Belgian Witbeir, not really my speed.
Shabbat lunch included a hearty glass of BH Central Coast 2009 CS, and some La Chouffe ale. Both solid.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Brobdingnagian Grenache 2007. Wow. 'Nuff said.
Domaine Herzberg, Malbec, 2009. Has really come into its own and is drinking really nicely.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 am

Flam Rose--A- ** What a treat! This is a fun wine for the hot weather with plenty of complexity to spare. The Cabernet Franc really shines through on the green finish.

Capcanes Peraj Petita '10--B-*** Like its older brother, the '10 was a bit of a disappointment--particularly following the blockbuster '09 vintage. You can't beat the QPR though.

Vignobles David Reserve A-*** I'm not big on french wines generally (in the kosher world you have to pay through the nose to have a chance of getting a decent bottle and even then it's hit or miss) but this wine is amazing, and the bargain-basement price makes it that much more enjoyable. :D Medium bodied, well-balanced, lots of good earthiness, ELEGANT
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 am

Last night with diner (at Moise's, first review on the food forum, meal was 1st course: lamb bacon, entree: duck confit with cassoulet, a french cholent if you like... 8) , dessert: nougat glacé. YUM :D ):

Segal, Rechasim, Dishon Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: Deep garnet towards purple, with on the nose black currants and cedar wood and on the palate black currants, blackberries, hints of sweet oak and vanilla, very well-balanced and elegant with mediterranean herbs, bracing acidity and mouth-filling tannins on a very long finish. The wine took a long time to open up, needed almost half an hour in the glass with some good swirling then was drinking beautifully. One of the very best wines from Segal, almost as good as the Unfiltered 2007.

A terrible week is now ahead of us with no wine except on Shabbat ( most observant jews do not drink wine nor eat meat among many other rules from the first day of the jewish month of Av, tonight and tomorrow, until the day after the fast of Tisha B'Av, the 9th but this year it is postponed to the 10th as the 9 is on Saturday, as it is a period of grief and mourning in remembrance of the 2 times the Jewish Temple was destroyed as well as many other tragic events in the history of the Jewish People) :( . Luckily this year we have 2 Shabbat during this period :) .

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:41 pm

We had the same duck dinner and paired it with Yarden Yonaton Syrah 2007! Delicious and Thank you for the recommendation.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Hey Harry - yeah I am late and I am not even done, but hey, I tried. Personally, I had a poor experience with some Rose wines this past weekend. I had been very excited about the two Cabernet Franc based Rose wines at my table and they both were fine, but a disappointment from the last time I had the Flam. In the end, many thought they were fine while others, thought they were just OK.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/07/20 ... nk-or-not/

I added in a bunch of other Rose wines, and my take away is unless you are drinking the Castel Rose or the Netofa Rose, stay away, not worth the price or the disappointment.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:47 pm

David:
I'm surprised to hear about your disappointing experience with the Flam. I missed the KFWE so I can't tell if it used to be better, but the Flam I had this past Shabos was absolutely PHENOMENAL. It was bright, tart and very food-friendly, with loads of CF mineral goodness. Also, I found the finish somewhat green and bitter in a lovely way--I'd says sweet green grapes, lemon zest, and romaine lettuce). I haven't found a bottle of the Castel yet so I can't compare, but the Flam is far and away the best rose I've ever tasted.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:36 pm

My ode to the 2009 Dalton Viognier - a real shame they stopped producing this wine:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2012/07/20 ... some-wine/
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
Next