The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SWR: Right now, somewhere out there...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

SWR: Right now, somewhere out there...

by JoePerry » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:21 pm

Bartolo Mascarello is smiling down.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

I just wish ...

by Paul B. » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:17 pm

JoePerry wrote:Bartolo Mascarello is smiling down.

You know, Joe, I really wish that this fine gentleman had lived to be included in Mondovino. Man - can you imagine what fascinating things he'd have had to say on screen? Mascarello, Aimé Guibert, Hubert de Montille - all these fascinating traditionalists offer never-ending inspiration whenever I listen to them speaking about wine. I especially like the part in Mondovino where Hubert de Montille is talking about his kids and says of Étienne, "il conserve mes principes" - he retains my principles. This is especially admirable in a France where there is this unfortunate tendency to see wine itself as ringard. How we need figures like Mascarello on the big screen, defending traditional wines and inspiring the newer generations to retain that which merits admiration!
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: SWR: Right now, somewhere out there...

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:21 pm

I think Berlusconi's latest quote is "I'm not dead yet" or something to that effect. He's desperately clinging to the "voting irregularity" tactic.
no avatar
User

MLawton

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 pm

by MLawton » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:34 pm

If Jesse Jackson shows up and demands a recount, The circle will be complete.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:36 pm

First of all, I'm sure Bartolo is happily looking down. My good friend Joe visited him a few times, really enjoyed his spirit. At Joe's 50th, we drank the '82 B. Mascarello, then took picture of the group with a sign that said "no barriques, no Bush" and sent to him (or at least his daughter, to share with him). Ok, so we're liberals.

But my main reason for posting was Paul B.'s CONSTANT references to Hubert de Montille as some kind of god on earth after his appearance in Mondovino. I'm a guy who likes traditional wines. I've enjoyed some de Montille wines. But this constant deification of Hubert de Montille is a bit much. Paul, you might want to do a search on Google of de Montille and say 9/11, twin towers, or the like. M. de Montille is rather famous for his anti-Americanism, and made a very public statement to Pierre Rovani in a restaurant revelling in the events of 9/11/01. I'm probably more left wing than 95% of the readers of this site, and can readily cite failures/mistakes/travesties of American foreign policy. But as a person who cried while looking at those clouds of smoke a bit to the south it sticks in my craw to have Hubert de Montille be held up as an example- of anything.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 pm

Dale Williams wrote:But as a person who cried while looking at those clouds of smoke a bit to the south it sticks in my craw to have Hubert de Montille be held up as an example- of anything.

Oh dear, Dale ... well I admittedly have zero idea as to what Hubert de Montille's thoughts were about 9/11, but suffice it to say that anyone who thinks that that barbaric subhuman attack was a good thing must have some kind of decency deficit.

But, that said, I do like the way he speaks about wine in Mondovino, and that's what my comments about him were solely based on.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:04 pm

Dale Williams wrote:First of all, I'm sure Bartolo is happily looking down. My good friend Joe visited him a few times, really enjoyed his spirit. At Joe's 50th, we drank the '82 B. Mascarello, then took picture of the group with a sign that said "no barriques, no Bush" and sent to him (or at least his daughter, to share with him). Ok, so we're liberals.

But my main reason for posting was Paul B.'s CONSTANT references to Hubert de Montille as some kind of god on earth after his appearance in Mondovino. I'm a guy who likes traditional wines. I've enjoyed some de Montille wines. But this constant deification of Hubert de Montille is a bit much. Paul, you might want to do a search on Google of de Montille and say 9/11, twin towers, or the like. M. de Montille is rather famous for his anti-Americanism, and made a very public statement to Pierre Rovani in a restaurant revelling in the events of 9/11/01. I'm probably more left wing than 95% of the readers of this site, and can readily cite failures/mistakes/travesties of American foreign policy. But as a person who cried while looking at those clouds of smoke a bit to the south it sticks in my craw to have Hubert de Montille be held up as an example- of anything.

Hey Dale, glad to hear of another Bartolo fan. I should open something to toast the moment... maybe I'll wait until after the Dade county recount.

About Hubert de Montille, his character should never be mentioned in the same breath as Bartolo. I find his comments unforgivable, but knowing the history between him and Rovani, the reason why he said it was because his hatred for Rovani poisoned his tongue. I'm not making excuses for him or his comments, but there is more to it than anti-Americanism. While he may be forever marred, when talking about some of the world's staunchest traditionalists, it is hard not to mention his name.

Of course, Paul needs to find out if he likes Volnay first :wink:

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:19 pm

JoePerry wrote:While he may be forever marred, when talking about some of the world's staunchest traditionalists, it is hard not to mention his name.

Indeed it was his ardent, uncompromising stance in favour of the traditional style that got me turned onto his character in Mondovino. I had no clue what his politics were or that he had praised the attack on America. It's important to know this all the same, and I'm glad that it's been pointed out so vigorously since last night.

As for Volnay, I've read that it's a perfumey, feminine style of Burgundy. Who knows? Those aren't the qualities that normally appeal to me in a wine (everyone knows I prefer funk and rusticity) but then again it's probably an archetype that I'd have to learn to appreciate.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:00 pm

Joe & Paul,

I don't mean to make a bigger deal of this that it deserves, it's just when I had read numerous comments along the lines of "I could listen to him all day, he's so lyrical" I felt that we should be clear what some of the lyrics were.

I don't buy the "well he was upset with Rovani" defense, just as I wasn't particularly worried about the stresses of Mark Fuhrman's job or what Jesse J. really meant by "Hymietown". As I recall, de Montille apologized and then retracted his apology on the grounds Rovani didn't actually lose any personal friends on 9/11. History or not, despicable.

I'm not obsessed with this, and haven't disposed of my de Montille wines. But I will not buy more as long as Hubert is involved. I won't buy any Jaboulet-Vercherre wines either (big National Front supporters),though that's easy as I seldom see them and the one I had sucked.

I can appreciate de Montille's attitudes towards wines, and still not choose to support his business.

Bartolo, though, there's a guy whose politics AND wines I can appreciate.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:49 pm

Dale Williams wrote: Bartolo, though, there's a guy whose politics AND wines I can appreciate.

Yes, sir!