Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Moïse's Chef Zemour, Paul Bocuse's ambassador in Israel!

by Gabriel Geller » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:45 am

Hello folks!

Last night I had dinner at a lovely restaurant in Jerusalem, Moïse, founded and managed by Claude and Chef Simone Zemour.

Chaim Yitzhak Davids, formerly the chef and a partner at The Kitchen Table in Mountain View, CA (so sorry I'll never be able to check this one out) and who also has worked in the past at Covenant, Four Gates, and Herzog wineries (I probably forgot a few more) used to work for this restaurant until recently after having made aliyah. Chaim has contributed, among certainly many other things, by introducing the famous lamb bacon which I've first (immensely) enjoyed at Tierra Sur, Todd Aaron's famous kosher restaurant located within the Herzog facility in Oxnard.

Moïse is a very small (glatt) kosher restaurant with only 5 tables, 3 of which are inside and the 2 other on a nice patio, and a charming unpretentious atmosphere reminding of a little house in Provence along with nice french songs playing in the background.

However while not being fancy-looking, the restaurant features an amazing yet relatively short menu on which you may find, aside from the aforementioned lamb bacon, a terrine of sea bass and Norvegian salmon, Coq au Vin, Beef Bourguignon, Duck confit, and the sinful perfectly cooked 18 oz Prime Rib with its Merlot-based sauce and slices of black truffle (you read that right!), which was my choice for entree of course. 8)

All that is prepared by the very talented Chef Simone Zemour, a disciple of worldwide famous Chef "Monsieur" Paul Bocuse, known as the Chef of the Century, with his multiple awards of 3 Michelin stars and 19/20 points in the Gault Millau guide. As dessert I had the Apple Millefeuilles which actually was a base of delightful cake topped with home-made apple icecream (didn't taste parve at all) and crispy caramel.

I really had a great meal thanks also to Claude Zemour who is not only the owner and Chef Simone's husband but also the Maitre d' and waiter all at once and provided to the great experience thanks to his smiley and courteous service, his good sense of humor and friendly conversation.

A quick note to Yossie Horwitz: First of all I take the opportunity to wish you again Mazal Tov on the birth of your new baby girl! :D Secondly, yes! Simone and Claude also speak french :wink: but if you ever decide to check them out, say you come on my recommendation. :mrgreen:

Moïse, 49 Derech Chevron, Jerusalem. Reservations - Claude (highly recommended given the size of the restaurant): (+972) 054-546-2851

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Moïse's Chef Zemour, Paul Bocuse's ambassador in Israel!

by Stacey B » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:51 pm

We just returned from a trip to Israel and that included an evening at Moise. We enjoyed the Duck Confit, the boeuf bourguignon and the Cotes du Boeuf(Rib Steak, but really it is very large like a side of beef). We enjoyed the meal very much and Claude is a great host. We met Simone in the kitchen and and can attesst that she is great chef and a sweet individual. We had the the nougat for dessert and it was a great ending- airy and delicious and just the right amount of sweetness still letting you savor the meal instead of covering it over with heaviness.