Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Interesting article on a new fake meat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Interesting article on a new fake meat

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am

Just saw this article on Slate. I thought it was interesting from a couple of angles. I don't use these sorts of products, but if one came along that really didn't differ much from the real thing and was cheaper, then maybe I'd start thinking about it. The other interesting aspect of the article was the company that's producing this stuff. They're pretty ambitious.

Thought I'd post it and see what everyone here thinks about these products in general and the one described in this article in particular.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Interesting article on a new fake meat

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:50 am

Never heard of them, but the product would have been handy during the couple of years True Love's doctor had her on a veggi diet.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Sounds like something Robin would be interested in. He's been using some ersatz meats lately. I'm still weird on the whole idea of eating pretend meats, that is if by choice (leaving out situations like Mrs. Eppig's) you don't eat meat.

Btw, the other day I saw fake crab in the supermarket's fish case labelled "Wild". I had a good laugh over that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Damn Mike, you beat me to it.
I'd like to try this. I've never had a "fake meat" that didn't remind me more of "fake" than "meat." But there are a lot of ethical arguments that would make something that was really close desirable.
Jenise, I guess that's actually true re origins, as surinimi is usually pollock, cod, or hake , none of which are farmed. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Jenise, I guess that's actually true re origins, as surinimi is usually pollock, cod, or hake , none of which are farmed. :)

Oh sure, but I somehow don't picture it making a difference with the average surimi buyer!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:36 am

If you need a cheap vehicle for cocktail sauce, "wild" is no obstacle. 8)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:53 am

Along these lines, I was at a coffee shop-type restaurant with co-workers yesterday. The placemats advertised their specials for the month, all of which involved lobster, or "lobster*" as is was referred to on the placemat. The "*" referenced a tradename of some kind (can't remember it now), and a quick Google search showed that the stuff consists of lobster, several other fish types (haddock, shrimp, crab), carrageenan, and a couple of other minor chemistry items. One of our group had the lobster* salad and said it was quite tasty, but I didn't get a bite to try.

On the topic of fake meat in general, I rather like the idea. If someone can put together a version that's really good, I'll be willing to buy it.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child