The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Do yourself a favor...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Do yourself a favor...

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:14 am

...do not open the 1996 PJ Druet Bourgueil Grand Mont right now. I came home to find an open bottle on the kitchen table, so naturally I poured myself a glass and was surprised to find it relatively juicy despite the earthy tannin finish. But then my housemate told me it had been opened since lunch (i.e. over 8 hours) and as I re-filled my glass (for analytical purposes) I could see that despite the fresh, elegant, and juicy “stuffing” which bodes well for the future, the stalky underbrushy acid and tannin components were really out in the forefront of this one, and it needs to go back to sleep.

So, don’t do it. Not now.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: TN: Do yourself a favor...

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:57 am

Rahsaan wrote:...do not open the 1996 PJ Druet Bourgueil Grand Mont right now. I came home to find an open bottle on the kitchen table, so naturally I poured myself a glass and was surprised to find it relatively juicy despite the earthy tannin finish. But then my housemate told me it had been opened since lunch (i.e. over 8 hours) and as I re-filled my glass (for analytical purposes) I could see that despite the fresh, elegant, and juicy “stuffing” which bodes well for the future, the stalky underbrushy acid and tannin components were really out in the forefront of this one, and it needs to go back to sleep.

So, don’t do it. Not now.

Man. Back when I had housemates, they left stuff like half-cooked tri-tip sitting out on the kitchen table. You've obviously found a better grade of housemate....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:37 am

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:Man. Back when I had housemates, they left stuff like half-cooked tri-tip sitting out on the kitchen table. You've obviously found a better grade of housemate....

Yes, only I wonder what they say about me :)
no avatar
User

mark meyer

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:11 pm

sydney and keyesport

by mark meyer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:24 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:Man. Back when I had housemates, they left stuff like half-cooked tri-tip sitting out on the kitchen table. You've obviously found a better grade of housemate....

Yes, only I wonder what they say about me :)

Rahsaan,

Is the housemate who bot the Breton an European? I can't imagine too many Californians who are young buying Loire Cab Franc.

FWIW opened a Baudry 03 Domaine for my cousins after my aunts funeral on Sat and everyone loved it-for most their first Loire Cab Franc. If I had multiple cases I could drink it as my house wine this summer in IL.

mark
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:37 pm

mark meyer wrote:Is the housemate who bot the Breton an European? I can't imagine too many Californians who are young buying Loire Cab Franc.

Really, you don't think Californians can appreciate Loire cab franc? All depends on the palate, no.. This one is born and bred California, but not necessarily "ultra young" - mid 40s..

FWIW opened a Baudry 03 Domaine for my cousins after my aunts funeral on Sat and everyone loved it-for most their first Loire Cab Franc. If I had multiple cases I could drink it as my house wine this summer in IL.

mark

It is nice stuff huh.. Great for opening and enjoying