Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Squash Blossom Risotto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Squash Blossom Risotto

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:54 am

We came across a recipe for this a week or two ago and, since squash blossoms are very cheap here right now ($1 for a bag of 30 or so) decided to make it. This recipe very plain - it called for butter, rice, stock, wine, cream, the blossoms, and a little parmigiano and that's it. What was different about it was that the cream was added about halfway through the cooking process. The cream cooked into the rice nicely and gave it a really rich character. The simplicity of the ingredients also allowed the flavor of the blossoms to come out, which is something I was a little concerned about.

It's not like I need to add an extra 600 calories to my risotto dishes, but I'll be adding cream as a standard ingredient in a lot of them in the future.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Squash Blossom Risotto

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:We came across a recipe for this a week or two ago and, since squash blossoms are very cheap here right now ($1 for a bag of 30 or so) decided to make it. This recipe very plain - it called for butter, rice, stock, wine, cream, the blossoms, and a little parmigiano and that's it. What was different about it was that the cream was added about halfway through the cooking process. The cream cooked into the rice nicely and gave it a really rich character. The simplicity of the ingredients also allowed the flavor of the blossoms to come out, which is something I was a little concerned about.

It's not like I need to add an extra 600 calories to my risotto dishes, but I'll be adding cream as a standard ingredient in a lot of them in the future.

I love squash blossoms, and use them whenever I can find them at the Farmer's Markets. That was an excellent price, by the way. I learned about putting cream in risotto too Mike, and it really adds to the dish. Even a small amount of the cream can make a difference to many dishes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:47 pm

$1 a bag? You're killing me!

I've never had or even considered putting squash blossoms into a risotto, but what a monumental idea. I take it, the result was as beautiful as it sounds? Btw, did you use leave the little zucchinis attched?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:54 am

Jenise wrote:$1 a bag? You're killing me!

I've never had or even considered putting squash blossoms into a risotto, but what a monumental idea. I take it, the result was as beautiful as it sounds? Btw, did you use leave the little zucchinis attched?

It's funny, but we almost never see the blossoms with the attached zucchs here. There's one guy who just started selling them at the market this year, but those go for $1.50 for a bundle of 4 or 5.

The blossoms were sliced crosswise into strips, and it did make a very pretty dish.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:57 am

Jenise wrote:$1 a bag? You're killing me!

We get them for free here. We pick the female flowers, shake the pollen on a stud, and then basket them. Get ten or twelve a day. Will have to try the risotto.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Mike,

Sorry if I'm confused but where's the recipe? Did you post it?

Plenty of free squash flowers in my backyard!
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm

I thought this was the recipe: it called for butter, rice, stock, wine, cream, the blossoms, and a little parmigiano and that's it. What was different about it was that the cream was added about halfway through the cooking process.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:50 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I thought this was the recipe: it called for butter, rice, stock, wine, cream, the blossoms, and a little parmigiano and that's it. What was different about it was that the cream was added about halfway through the cooking process.

That was pretty much it. That is pretty generic, though, and there's a bit of missing info. I used 2 c. of rice, 1 c. of wine, about a quart of chicken stock (original recipe called for veggie stock), 1 c. of cream, and a bunch of the blossoms. Once the blossoms were destemmed and destamened and sliced crosswise, they loosely filled a quart bowl. It was made in the normal risotto manned, with the cream going in after about half the stock had been consumed.

If anyone would like, I'll be happy to post the original one (from Gourmet or Bon Appetit or one of those).

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Loves me some squash blossoms...especially when the serendipity arises of being in northern Italy in squash blossom seasons. They do 'em better than any other I've ever found.

Was recently down in the SF Bay area and at Cafe Rouge in Berkeley, where they featured squash blossoms stuffed with bocconcini and green beans in a frittura. Nicely crusty not greasy, and pretty tasty.

Love it when they do the frittura with chestnut flour---something about the combo of the chestnut, the delicacy of the squash blossom and the crunchiness that is sublime.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:17 pm

Yeah, they are delicious when they're stuffed and fried. We've done mozz and herbs, but I never thought of putting green beans in them. The chestnut flour sounds like a nice way to go as well.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:40 pm

A place near me uses crabmeat. Yum.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Yeah, they are delicious when they're stuffed and fried. We've done mozz and herbs, but I never thought of putting green beans in them. The chestnut flour sounds like a nice way to go as well.

Clarification: the green beans were cooked frittura and served along with the blossoms, not stuffed in them.

Another good frittura, this time Siciliam, is to store eggplant ice cold, cut it into long thin strips, dredge it in chestnut flour mixed with whatever herb/spice mix you wish, then dip into bubbling hot olive oil. One dip is usually perfect to crunch up the outside and leave the inside hot and melting soft and rich.