The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: recent tastes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: recent tastes

by Marc D » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:30 pm

2005 Domaine Savoye Morgon Vieilles Vignes Côte du Py
Lots of red fruit, raspberry is what I noticed. Big and juicy, with bright tangy acidity. The fruit started a little jelly jammy, but gets more interesting and less one dimensional with air. Less tannic then the '05 Brun Brouilly tasted recently. Good value at $13.

1998 Les Allees De Cantemerle
I had purchased a few bottles of this for $10 several years ago and enjoyed the prior bottles. This bottle was cooked, and despite a healthy young purple color it showed some mushrooms and a carmalized sugar note to the nose and just empty in the mouth. Oh well.

1998 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon Cold Creek Vineyard
Dill from American oak dominates the nose right now. There is a more pleasant coffee mocha note and just a hint of green pepper also. The dark blackberry fruit comes out more towards the midpalate. There is some sweetness in the mouth. Supple, nondrying tannins. 13.5% abv. The wine with its moderate alcohol, easy tannins and restrained fruit would have been good but the dill note was offputting for me.

2005 Bodegas Angel Rodriguez Verdejo Rueda Martínsancho
The nose is very expressive, lots of saline, tonic water minerals, some jasmin flowers, with the honeydew melon fruit very much in the background. There is a bit of spice to the lively palate, and the wine has a sappy concentration that comes from the old vines. Very good, buy again.

2005 François Pinon Vouvray Cuvée Tradition
Took about an hour to show its stuff. Waxy honeycomb, peaches, chalk. Very nice.

2004 Inama Soave Classico Vigneti di Foscarino
Smells of talc powder, apple, almond-marzipan, slight hint of fennel, and lemon curd. There may be a little vanilla too. The palate is full and rich, sappy and almost oily, but kept in balance with an acidic tang at the finish. My wife thought there was some flavors of new oak, but I'm not sure if this sees any new oak like the Du Lot bottling. Yum.

2004 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette
The nose was wonderful right out the bottle. Dark raspberry and cherry fruit, lots of wet stone minerals. The palate seemed a little compressed. Nothing more time shouldn't fix. We enjoyed it anyway, but I will hold further bottles for a bit.

2005 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Gobelsburger
The nose is pretty classic, with flowers and snap peas. There is also a bass note of something like bouillon. Maybe this is what Thiese calls cooked lentils, but more like bouillon to me. Slight spritz from the dissolved CO2 remains. The wine has bright acidity and pretty good sustain. It finishes with a little white pepper spice. Very good value for $11 and change. I would buy this again.

2002 Overnoy Houillon Poulsard Arbois
Of the many great Florida Jim recommendations over the years, this is one I enjoyed the most (until I get to the next one, that is). Slightly cloudy orange to pale red color, almost like a rose. Wild strawberries, with earth and some barnyard funk, very fresh acidity and really nice balance. There is more flavor and complexity than you expect for the color of the wine. I understand this is unfiltered and has no added sulfur. I think this will be perfect with Thanksgiving. A definite buy again, many bottles.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: recent tastes

by Rahsaan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:33 pm

Marc D wrote:2005 Domaine Savoye Morgon Vieilles Vignes Côte du Py
Lots of red fruit, raspberry is what I noticed. Big and juicy, with bright tangy acidity. The fruit started a little jelly jammy, but gets more interesting and less one dimensional with air. Less tannic then the '05 Brun Brouilly tasted recently. Good value at $13

Back in September I found this really boring and jelly jammy.

I couldn't get any pleasure, regardless of the price.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:40 pm

It started to show a bit more interest towards the end of the glass, and the other half of the bottle is left for tonight, so we'll see. I didn't find it boring though.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:14 pm

Marc, do you know the story of Clos de Roillette? That in--1935 was it?--when the communes were divided up, the owner of this estate was told he had to be Fleurie, which at the time was considered much lesser, where he had always considered himself Moulin-a-Vent. His estate bordered both. In protest, he decided to use neither and deemed himself Clos de Roilette after his horse. The estate has changed hands since, but owners are sticking with the horse, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:30 pm

I didn't know that story, thanks. I always thought the wine was Fleurie. Maybe that is why the wines from Clos de la Roilette age so well, they have some of the Moulin-a-Vent terroir in them.

When I lived in S. Carolina there was a family from France living in our neighborhood. The husband was working for Owens Corning. We became friends, and still keep in touch, even though they live in Giverny now. The wife, who grew up outside of Lyon, told me her favorite Beaujolais came from Fleurie. The horse wine has been a favorite ever since Benedicte introduced us to the wines from Fleurie.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:36 pm

Marc, you're making me sorry I didn't go ahead and buy it--John had some there. In fact, this was a Bojo tasting, all 05's, that was one of the ones he stocks but didn't pour. Did you buy yours up here, or did you have it shipped in?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:46 pm

The 05's I have came from CSW. I haven't seen the 2005s from my usual suspects (Brun, Coudert, Vissoux) out here yet, althought I picked up a bottle of 2005 Pascal Aufranc Chenas Vieilles Vignes de 1939 at the Co-op today when I was picking up our fresh turkey.

Was the tasting you refer to at Slough Foods? What were the highlights? Do you know what John has in stock? I will have to get down there. I am sorry I missed it.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:49 pm

Marc, John does periodic in-store tastings that he limits to 10 or 12 people. Lots of fun--sit around on stools, nosh on fine meats and cheeses, and talk about wine. Here's what he poured, which tells you what he has in house in addition to the Roillette: 04 Brun Blanc (I loved it and ordered some, he was out but for this bottle), all the rest were 05's and red including Dom Dupre Terre Noire, the 05 Brun L'Ancien (which Haggen Ferndale already had in stock at my request), Pascal Aufranc Chenas VV, Gauther Chiroubles, Perroud Cote de Brouilly, Lapierre Moulin-a-Vent, Calot Morgon and a pink Brun bubbly. I'm going to write up notes, but for the sake of brevity John and I agreed down the line on both Bruns, the Lapierre and the Brouilly even though it was a bit extracted.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:03 pm

Thanks. He does have some tasty meats and cheese, no doubt.

The Co-op has the 04 Brun blanc, in the fridge, though.

The Brun pink sparkler has an interesting story in regards to its name, "FRV 100". Pronounce the letters with a French accent and the number 100 in French and you'll figure it out. Good work on getting the L' Ancien in stock, I am looking forward to trying that one.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:48 pm

Back in September I found this really boring and jelly jammy.

I couldn't get any pleasure, regardless of the price.

You were right Rahsaan. It was less interesting and even more jammy on the next day. No rebuy here.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:11 am

You were right Rahsaan. It was less interesting and even more jammy on the next day. No rebuy here.

I saved some for the second day (I didn't have the heart to drink too much on the first day) and had the same feeling.

Who knows what will happen over the course of many months/a year or two. But for now it does not appear to inspire..
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:42 am

Gobelsburger?, have some of the `05 stashed away for further festivities!!