Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hot sauce addicts of the world unite!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Hot sauce addicts of the world unite!!

by Jenise » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Only Paul Winalski could eat that (I live in awe of Paul's resilience). Why not presume six would be your max, put the rest of the ingredients together, and then add in the habaneros till you can't stand any more? Jalapenos are good but might disguise the flavor of the habaneros, which is uniquely wonderful.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Jenise,

If you think that sauce is lethal, take a look at the Dave's Insanity family of hot sauces and at similar products such as After Death. :shock:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Dave's Insanity cheats by extracting out the capsaicin, so that they can make a sauce that is hotter than any naturally grown pepper.

I don't think that stuff is food, it's basically just an artificial poison...
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:52 pm

I’m a little confused at the trend of this thread towards commercially bottled sauces. Sure, we keep Cholula and Tabasco on hand to sprinkle at the last minute on something that just didn’t turn out with enough flavor, but it is so easy to make fresh sauce / salsa with modern appliances (in our case a Black and Decker chopper, I think $15) that relying on commercial stuff seems way too lazy for most (but not Frank Deis) who post here. We like seeded 1 / 3 Paisilla chile (vegetal), 1 / 3 serrano (gotta have a little heat) and 1 / 3 garlic, plus salt to taste. Want more liquid? Add vinegar. Want more heat? Substitute Habaneros. This was great last night with grilled Japanese eggplant chips and verdicchio. No sauce from a bottle would come close, and prep time is 5 minutes.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Hmm, singled out for criticism. Of course I put peppers into dishes that are supposed to be hot, but I'm interested in the variations of sauces available on the market. Sue me. :?
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Sorry to have written so poorly, Frank Deis—I singled you out for praise because you offered a recipe as opposed to the subjective “I like this” of others.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Michael, I think the reason you see mainly recommendations for commercially produced hot sauces is because that is what the original poster seemed to be asking about.

My own first recommendation--Inner Beauty--used to be a commercially produced sauce but isn't on the market anymore. Its creator published a recipe for it and I've posted that recipe in this forum. I've made it several times (I'm going to have to do so again, as I've almost used up my current batch) and it comes out almost exactly the same as the commercial version (a bit fresher, and the home version tends to separate a bit because it lacks the commercial version's emulsifier additives).

I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for homemade sriracha.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for homemade sriracha.

Here's a very interesting post from an Indonesian guy (in English) about making sambal oelek at home. He gives enough information comparing it with chili garlic sauce and Sriracha to give you all you'd need to go for it - add sugar and garlic (puree?) to the sambal oelek recipe until the taste is right. :mrgreen:

http://theasiangrandmotherscookbook.wor ... lek-recip/
Previous