Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Comfort Zone /WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Comfort Zone /WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:48 am

bsd
Getting up from the floor is neccesary and at different times needs different strengths.
We are more prone to climb, achieve, develop or just plain get up
when we're happy;when sad we remain on the ground.
Have a good one; h
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Comfort Zone /WeeksEnd wine

by Craig Winchell » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:16 am

It's my intention to drink Agua Dulce 2010s on Shabbos. I have noticed that the 2010 Zinfandel, which used to appear quite oaky in both silver and glass, still appears quite oaky in silver but is coming more into balance in glass. Most of the wine I have was drawn for Pesach, and the Syrah, which is in non-neutral oak right now, had been in neutral oak at the time of drawing, and has little oak to moderate the fruit. The Cabernet Sauvignon, which is largely in French oak right now, but had been in American, really has not been softened enough by oak to be relieved of its tannic spirit, and will hopefully not be in the future. When these are all bottled in commercial bottlings, and at the time of release, my hope is obviously that they will be spirited but balanced wines, capable of some aging. None are "ready for prime time" at this point, but are of interest to me as their winemaker, and perhaps Gabe as the primary physical worker implementing operations upon them.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Harry, folks, shavua tov,

Friday night:

GHW, Yarden 2T 2008: Having very little experience with real wines from Douro, Portugal, there are not too many wines to which I could compare this wine to except for the Casa del Douro wines, reserve and regular, imported into the US and Israel by Royal which I've had may be 2-3 times and the Netofa Tinto.
Anyway this wine is very much showing its GHW "origins" by being well-made but not very different nor especially interesting. Dark garnet, with on the nose blackberries and some roasted herbs, medium to full-bodied with on the palate blackberries and plums, with notes of roasted herbs and tobacco, good acidity and soft tannins on a moderately long finish.

Shabbat lunch:

GHW, Gamla Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: Dark garnet towards ruby at the rim, medium to full-bodied with on the nose black currants and blackberries, these showing on the palate along with black cherries, earthy minerals and hints of dark chocolate with soft and round tannins as well as some heat on the long finish. Classic Gamla Cab.

Wishing you all a good week,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2006 Recanati, Cabernet Sauvignon, Reserve. Oh, so nice.

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:05 pm

2010 Carmel Kayoumi dry Riesling, continues to be very enjoyable

2005 Tabor mescha, this wine is drinking very well now. I believe that kosherwine.com is selling it at a deep discount, which in my mind is a steal. I didn't buy my bottles from them, but I bought mine recently and can attest to the freshness of the bottle. It went great with our Moroccan cholent, and also with some Stilton blue cheese that we just had.

Good week to all
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:56 am

Dalton Alman SMV 2009 - very good. Shabbos day a lot of beer - Maredsous 8, Caracole Nostradamus, and Troeg's Flying Mouflan.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:08 am

1999 Philippe Gavignet Nuits-St. Georges Les Pruliers
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:41 am

Hi Harry,

Flam Rose 2011 - This rose is made of Cabernet Franc, and maintains the grape's traditional green streak alongside hints of strawberry and melon. Refreshing by gist of its acidity and minerality, but bone dry. Those in search of an easy drinking rose should look elsewhere as this one is less fruit forward and more sophisticated than your average easy drinking summer sipping rose. 12.5% AbV. I paid about 80NIS at the winery. B/**

Tzora Givat Hachalukim 2007 - This wine is sourced from a vineyard that has since been uprooted, but for many years issued a trademark wine that is distinguished by its lighter body, restrained fruit, earthiness and herb dominated flavor profile. In this regard this vintage is not different than the others. The herbs, primarliy tarragon and rosmarine, share the spotlight together with a leafy earthiness. The alcohol provides a layer of warmth. The wine does not have excessive oak influences, and the tannins are mellow. Although this wine is all Cabernet Sauvignon, it reminds me most of some Bordeaux blends such as the Flam Classico and the Dalton Alma, though perhaps not as well structured. 14% AbV. B-/**

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:07 am

Shavua tov to all.
This week I had 2 wines that had some nice qualities but also serious flaws, but by playing with the wines, I got to enjoy both. They're a bit tough to score because on the one hand they're flawed, but on the other hand, they're certainly not "mediocre/uninspiring."

Elvi Vina Encina 2007: C+/* I made kiddush on this wine Friday night at cellar temperature, and I almost gagged on the searing alcohol and slight but cloying hint of sweetness. I almost dumped it down the drain, but I had the idea of putting it in the freezer for an hour until it was approximately 40 degrees. At that point it showed considerable country style charm. I have to say that the fact that it still has its sea legs after 5 years, despite a mere 5 months in oak, has to count for something. All in all, an interesting wine, just make sure you drink it COLD.

Gush Etzion Spring River 2010: B-/** Like the Elvi, this wine has a lot going for it. Unlike most "semi-dry" wines, it's not too sweet. The nose explodes with flora and peaches. Really delicious with one major problem: the lack of acidity drains the life out of it. After a few sips, it is difficult to keep drinking, despite the great flavor. I solved this one in an unorthodox way: I added a splash of lemon juice. After that, it was a delicious quaffer. I know many will say that's sacrilegious, but hey, I enjoyed it and that's what counts.

Recanati Shiraz 2010: B to B+ /***+ Whoever said kosher wine can't be really good at less than $15 a bottle? This big, lush shiraz is brimming with tons of saddle leather, red fruit, vanilla, and toffee, all without knocking you over the head. It's certainly not in the league of the great syrah/shiraz on the kosher market (Four Gates, Shira, Ella Valley, Barkan Superior, Yarden Single Vineyards, etc.) but it's a damn nice wine for the money.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Friday night - Yarden Syrah Ortal 2004 and Galil Mt. Alon 2009.
Shabbat lunch - Yarden Viognier 2008.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Friday night Segal's Dovev Argaman 06
Shabbat Lunch Tishbi Reserve Chardonay 2007
Later in the day Galil Avivim 2007
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:34 pm

2005 Hevron Heights Makhpelah

Wine is Peaked and headed down YET.. Had some good flavors. Chocolate is the style of this wine with dark berries and some wood..Yet the 07' comes together as a much better bottle.
Kicking out a lot of Sediment yet Not vinagar by any shot and not bad on the nose either.. Took a LONG TIME to come too balance after opening and much better the second day.

05' = Drink now 07' = Awesome and should age longer than this one did.

201? Teperberg Terra Blend?

Solid table wine with good flavors and went well with Chulent
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Jeff Adler

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 pm

by Jeff Adler » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi Harry

2009 Binyamina Carignan Reserve - This is the first time I tasted this wine. It was very earthy with a nice finish. Enjoyed it very much.

2009 Recanati Shiraz - I will echo the comments above that Recanati produces a great value Shiraz for under $15 a bottle.

Cheers

Jeff
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:30 pm

hi; hevron heights cab-shiraz 07. the nose is powerfull.starts with strong tannins and then just stops.
by day samuel adams new world;ok but not interesting. h
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Covenant Lavan 2010
Four Gates Syrah? 2009?
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:43 am

Friday night -- 2004 Baron Edmond de Rothschild Chateau Clarke, Listrac-Medoc
Saturday -- 2010 Flam Classico

The Flam is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:06 pm

I enjoyed the 2007 Barkan Cab Reserve - nice wine that is time to drink up.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.