Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Some terms of endearment, some not!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Some terms of endearment, some not!

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:47 pm

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Some terms of endearment, some not!

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

That's a good one! I like how slang reveals what people really think. (Artichokes?)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:37 pm

"Mr. Schwarz and his niece" made me chuckle. It never occurred to me before, but restaurants probably see a lot of situations that require some discretion on their part, like when Mr. Schwarz is with somebody other than his wife.

The term "drop dirty" was interesting too, wherein it instructs the kitchen to send out the next course even before the last one's finished. There's almost nothing in a restaurant that makes me angrier but I've alway considered it stupidity and accidental; it's interesting to consider that it could happen deliberately.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Very interesting list, I missed in NYT, thanks for pointer!

Jenise wrote:The term "drop dirty" was interesting too, wherein it instructs the kitchen to send out the next course even before the last one's finished. There's almost nothing in a restaurant that makes me angrier but I've alway considered it stupidity and accidental; it's interesting to consider that it could happen deliberately.

Jenise, Miailino is a Danny Meyer restaurant, from context it sounds like an instruction to break a rule ("hey, this Chablis is nice, could we get a couple orders of the scallops before the beef and Cab comes"?)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Maybe that's why we get great food and service in a restaurant we frequent, while there are a lot of compaints on YELP!