Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grilled tomato oil for your corn on the cob?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Grilled tomato oil for your corn on the cob?

by Jenise » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Just read this description in a solicitation from California Ranch olive oil:

“A grill is the best vessel you have for cooking corn,” Andrew Schloss and David Joachim write in Fire It Up (Chronicle Books, 2011), where the recipe featured here appears. “Just start the fire and throw the cobs on, husks and all. Close the lid and sit back.”
The corn will take about 15 minutes, they add, including an occasional turn every five minutes or so. Schloss and Joachim pair their grilled corn not with butter – but with a flavored oil made from grilled tomatoes, olive oil, fresh herbs, garlic, and honey."

Mmmmmmm!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Grilled tomato oil for your corn on the cob?

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Jenise wrote:Just read this in a solicitation from California Ranch olive oil:

“A grill is the best vessel you have for cooking corn,” Andrew Schloss and David Joachim write in Fire It Up (Chronicle Books, 2011), where the recipe featured here appears. “Just start the fire and throw the cobs on, husks and all. Close the lid and sit back.”
The corn will take about 15 minutes, they add, including an occasional turn every five minutes or so. Schloss and Joachim pair their grilled corn not with butter – but with a flavored oil made from grilled tomatoes, olive oil, fresh herbs, garlic, and honey."

Mmmmmmm!!!

And it is so good! We grill corn just until it gets a few golden streaks on it and heats through...never for 15 minutes. We use a gas grill and it can get very hot, fast. I should try keeping the husks on and grilling. I don't like any last minute fusses, however. Does the husk come right off? I've been wrapping a damp paper towel around the corn and zapping just until I can smell the odor coming from the microwave. It stays moist and is so good, and I'm assuming the husk would do the same thing.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 pm

I almost always grill corn with the entire husk on. The silk and outer layers do burn but there are streaks of carmelized kernels that are delicious. When cool enough to handle I slice off the stalk end, freeing all of the husk layers and pull the whole husk with silk off.
When just picked I prefer to eat it without any dressing. Can't improve on those flavors
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:19 am

Karen/NoCA wrote: Does the husk come right off? I've been wrapping a damp paper towel around the corn and zapping just until I can smell the odor coming from the microwave. It stays moist and is so good, and I'm assuming the husk would do the same thing.

Yes, the husk comes off pretty easily. For dinner parties I sometimes remove just part of it to expose one side of the corn so that all that green and burnt stuff splays out behind the beautiful ears, arrange them on a turkey platter and then dress them with something like this oil or a flavored compound butter. FABULOUS presentation.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov