Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Produce with great color

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Produce with great color

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Does color play much of a role in your selection of fresh produce? It does for me. Right now at the Farmer's Markets I am in awe at the riot of color. I have to stop and look for a few minutes to soak it all in. Two weeks ago I was introduced to red romaine...deep Burgundy actually. I have been buying beautiful leaf lettuce in a rich, deep burgundy for years but had never seen the romaine. Bell peppers are in my garden in a very rich gold, red, and purple. Even the banana peppers which I am having trouble keeping up with are turning a shade of orange.

I seem to always head for the stall at the market with the most colors first. Last week, a grower caught my eye with an array of dark purple, red, and yellow potatoes, sitting alongside red torpedo onions. Then a wild mess of brilliant yellow and green baby squashes. Our dinner plates are very colorful these days. :D

purple romaine resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Produce with great color

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:16 pm

Agreed. Tonight's caprese was green, mottled dark red, bright red, white (the cheese), green (chiffonade of basil), and black (olives).

The look of food matters.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:21 am

The colors are beyond intoxicating at this time of the year. The lettuces are one of the most tantalizing things, but nothing fascinates me more, of course, than a big pile of mixed heirloom tomatoes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:43 am

I agree that produce is beautiful and glorious in these months but if I had to come down on the most beautiful and glorious aspect I would have to say taste! :wink:

You can still get nice vibrant color variation in the winter from red cabbage, red beets, carrots, citrus, hardy greens and herbs, but the succulent luscious heaven-sent flavors are not there as much!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:05 pm

My red and golden peppers are coloring up nicely now. This was my morning harvest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Really, Karen -- again?! :mrgreen:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Really, Karen -- again?! :mrgreen:

But, but it's so pretty! :lol: