Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Saturday Night Japanese.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Saturday Night Japanese.

by Noel Ermitano » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:16 am

After last weekend's overdoing it with assorted German reislings, craft beer, mixed drinks at The Blind Pig, and Long Island Iced Tea and uncounted tequila shots at Dada's '80s party, I had to watch myself for the rest of the week. Though I did have very little wine at last Monday's Les Toques Blanches Charity Dinner by Tony Khoo, and a few beers Friday night, I was watching myself (reasonably enough) the rest of the week, lest my blood pressure start acting up again.

Thus, after my regular Saturday golf game yesterday, 11th August 2012, I figured on lighter, healthier fare nearby. What better to have for light/healthy, yet tasty, grub than Japanese? To Hanakazu, then, just the four of us, as Joaqi was celebrating his cousin's birthday at the latter's house.

Appetizers, of which the delightful, sweetly fresh Baby Cuttlefish on the right was the only thing interesting.

Our usual, very efficient and knowledgeable waitress attended to us. After receiving the menus, I asked her what was on special that night, and the iced styrofoam box of special Japanese goodies was quickly brought to me for inspection. Not too much that night: no mirugai (i.e., Geoduck) that I was hoping for, but some large Japanese scallops and a few sanmas (a.k.a., Pacific Saury and "Mackerel Pike"). I did the ordering and we had not long to wait until our food started hitting the table.

Sashimi: Japanese Toro & Sanma

Japanese Sea Urchin (i.e., Uni), more expensive than local, but with a justifying world of difference in texture and taste.

We got an additional order of Japanese Toro later on, this much fattier than the first.

This time, I made sure to try their Daikon Salad w/ Goma Dressing, not only "para healthy", but mainly because Cyrene de la Rosa and Rob Pengson had both mentioned that they like it. They were right as it really is quite nice, and I will surely have this again - a great way to eat well and healthily.

Crispy Sanma Carcass - not only Max's fried chicken is "sarap to the bone"!

The boys and I killed a bottle of chilled saké. Catha stuck to glasses of cold tea.

Nigiri Sushi: Hamachi, Ikura, & Anago

Grilled Japanese Scallop

Grilled Hamachi Head & Collar

Of course, the mandatory Ebi Tenpura

For dessert, Catha & the boys got a box each of Japanese Mochi Ball Ice Cream...

...while I enjoyed the complimentary chilled, fresh Japanese Peaches that chef-proprietor Hiroaki Otsuka sent over. Loved this - the best fresh peaches I've ever had anywhere.

Kampai! Until the next!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Saturday Night Japanese.

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:27 am

Glad to see all is well and you're still enjoying all that delicious food. I'd been thinking about you this week when hearing news of the Manilla floods.
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:32 am

Hi, Rahsaan, and thanks. It doesn't flood in my area, but many, many of my countrymen were, indeed, badly affected.

Best,

N
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 am

Noel Ermitano wrote:Hi, Rahsaan, and thanks. It doesn't flood in my area, but many, many of my countrymen were, indeed, badly affected.

Best,

N

Yes, I had a sense it might be that way (e.g. not everywhere flooded in New Orleans), but I don't know the details of Manilla neighborhoods so it all looked disastrous to me!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:05 am

Wow, as always. Some really interesting stuff there; I've never seen scallops served that way, for instance.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:35 am

Noel Ermitano wrote:...I had to watch myself for the rest of the week.

For me, Noel, "watching myself" means maybe using wheat bread for my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, not white bread! :lol: