Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Note to self

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Note to self

by Jenise » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Jenise, never ever ever ever ever ever ever put the scallops in your purse to bring them into the house no matter how full your hands are, lest you forget them until you see the puddle around your purse the next morning.

:cry:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Note to self

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Jeff, never ever ever ever ever ever ever put a tomato in the freezer to give it a quick chill, lest you forget it until your partner asks you what is that thing the next day.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:31 pm

OMGoodness Jenise. That's awful. Hope it wasn't one of your favorite purses...
Reminds me somewhat of that Seinfeld episode (doesn't everything in life relate back to a Larry David inspiration?) where Jerry (or Elaine) left a doggie bag in the back seat of his car and it smelled so bad he thought the car valet had horrible B.O.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Jenise wrote:Jenise, never ever ever ever ever ever ever put the scallops in your purse to bring them into the house no matter how full your hands are, lest you forget them until you see the puddle around your purse the next morning.

:cry:

I am so sorry, Jenise, but

Laugh My Ass Off.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Carrie L. wrote:OMGoodness Jenise. That's awful. Hope it wasn't one of your favorite purses...
Reminds me somewhat of that Seinfeld episode (doesn't everything in life relate back to a Larry David inspiration?) where Jerry (or Elaine) left a doggie bag in the back seat of his car and it smelled so bad he thought the car valet had horrible B.O.

Carrie, "The Smelly Car" is one of my favorite episodes, but I never heard anything about a "doggie bag"

Where did you get that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smelly_Car

Jenise, I feel that I have "scallop" episodes all the time but currently can't recall one specific.

We use a cloth shopping bag, and occasionally food has taken 2 or 3 trips to the store. You cross your fingers that they won't notice whatever you bought yesterday and charge you for it again...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 pm

"Smelly car" reminds me of a real-life episode: My friend, Jeff -- a provocateur of great distinction -- decided to play a trick on his friend, Brian. He put a package of liederkranz in the glovebox, stuffing it behind all the other junk in there, and told no one.

A few days later, Brian starts asking us to help him find the dead animal that is, obviously, somewhere in the car.... :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:18 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I am so sorry, Jenise, but

I know. Couldn't help it could you? Of course, that's why I posted this. But, a reply to you and Carrie at the same time: it was a Cole Haan, about three months new. :|
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:55 am

Frank Deis wrote:
Carrie, "The Smelly Car" is one of my favorite episodes, but I never heard anything about a "doggie bag"

Where did you get that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smelly_Car

Frank, that is weird. I felt sure that was the outcome of that show. Maybe it's something that happened to me in real life but I confused it with Seinfeld! Thanks for keeping me honest.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Jeff, never ever ever ever ever ever ever put a tomato in the freezer to give it a quick chill, lest you forget it until your partner asks you what is that thing the next day.

Out of curiosity, what are the circumstances under which you need to give tomatoes a chill?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Out of curiosity, what are the circumstances under which you need to give tomatoes a chill?

Just got back from the Greenmarket, where some of the tomatoes had been sitting in the sunshine. I had piled the carton high and this one didn't want to stay put so I said, heck, let's eat it now... and warm tomato isn't appealing to me.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Jenise wrote:it was a Cole Haan, about three months new. :|

Oh, my. I am soooooo sorry! :cry:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 am

Jenise - Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwww.

Jeff - We have been known to store summer garden tomatoes in the freezer. Come December, they're great for making pasta sauces and such. Plus, they peel incredibly easily.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Jenise wrote:it was a Cole Haan, about three months new. :|

Oh, my. I am soooooo sorry! :cry:

You have my sincere condolences as well. Why couldn't it have been the 10 year old Sak that can be thrown in the wash???
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:53 pm

See, I told you cats were useless!

Any dog worth his salt would have located that before it did a melt down and would have been whining at you to give it to them, thus allowing you to rectify the situation before it became terminal.

That cats were probably cynically waiting for the purse to become really ripe and tasty.