Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Where I live, in the news

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Where I live, in the news

by Jenise » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:13 pm

This cracked me up. The thing about long lines at Costco and Canadian families (of Indian descent, generally) buying carts and carts of milk each is perfectly true. This store sells more milk than any other in the nation--they finally had to build a special Dairy walk-in just to house it all.

I can only shake my head, though, at the thought of some of my countrymen objecting to the commerce. True, until about two years ago we didn't used to have to wait in lines 5 or 8 customers long. But I can't say it ever occurred to me that I have a right to mind it. How stupidly narrow-minded, xenophobic, and most likely somewhat racist. Shameful!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/13/bellingham-costco-canadians-cheap-milk_n_1773495.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=2207021,b=facebook
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Where I live, in the news

by Howie Hart » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:17 pm

I also live on the Canadian border and prices of various commodities greatly affect local commerce. In the early '80s, the busiest gas station in the world was in Fort Erie, Ont., just across the Peace Bridge from Buffalo. The Factory Outlet Mall in Niagara Falls, NY is always full of cars with Ontario plates, mostly from Toronto. The Canadians have also discovered the cheap gas and tobacco on the Indian reservations. My major purchases in Canada are fresh grape juice and wine from the Niagara Peninsula that is not available here.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:53 am

Hmm..."Bellingham Costco needs a special time just for Americans". What's next? A special time for real Americans?

Pure, unmitigated BS.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:53 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Hmm..."Bellingham Costco needs a special time just for Americans". What's next? A special time for real Americans?

Pure, unmitigated BS.

Sure is. So is the part of the article about double-parking. The parking lot is never completely full--I know because I'm the one who always parks in the South 40, preferring to park my car where it has less chance of getting dinged.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Hmph...I find it's usually the real Americans who double park. Too important (and usually too fat) to walk.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Sure is. So is the part of the article about double-parking. The parking lot is never completely full--I know because I'm the one who always parks in the South 40, preferring to park my car where it has less chance of getting dinged.

I do the same thing Jenise, and my car has no dings.

I wonder how large these families are that are buying so much milk, or are they reselling it up there? When we owned the Liquor Barn, the Canadians would stop on their way home from a trip. I often wondered how they got back without a check of the RV.
I've never understood the "stand in line", mentality. I see it at the Farmer's Market at one booth in particular where folks stand in line for 45 minutes to get peaches, when all around them are booths with peaches, and good ones. So you save a few bucks, but with the time involved to do it, I could be at home doing some stock buying or selling and make a lot more money than that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:

I do the same thing Jenise, and my car has no dings.

I wonder how large these families are that are buying so much milk, or are they reselling it up there? When we owned the Liquor Barn, the Canadians would stop on their way home from a trip. I often wondered how they got back without a check of the RV.
I've never understood the "stand in line", mentality. I see it at the Farmer's Market at one booth in particular where folks stand in line for 45 minutes to get peaches, when all around them are booths with peaches, and good ones. So you save a few bucks, but with the time involved to do it, I could be at home doing some stock buying or selling and make a lot more money than that.

These aren't the Canadians who stopped at your Liquor Barn. :) They're East Indians who come shopping in their saris and their Sikh headcoverings, and I don't know what they do with all the milk. I doubt they resell it; more likely, it's just a major part of their diet. Possibly they use it for some other ritualistic purpose, like bathing. I don't know. But all this is the problem with the idiots who want American hours--they feel something that's "theirs" is being rundown by a bunch of foreigners who they are critical of for being so different and making no effort to assimilate. It's very racist and very disturbing.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:59 am

Jenise wrote:They're East Indians who come shopping in their saris and their Sikh headcoverings....

Thats a long way to come just to get some milk..Sure they are not real Canadians? :)

Jenise wrote:I don't know what they do with all the milk. I doubt they resell it; more likely, it's just a major part of their diet. Possibly they use it for some other ritualistic purpose, like bathing....

Among Indians, and also among South East Asians, milk is considered extremely good for kids and they tend to over indulge. It is obviously wrong because it causes Iron deficiency anemias and other problems down the road. I doubt if there is a sudden spate of bathing in milk among Canadians of Sikh descent. I think that was the ancient Egyptians. Jest aside, the racist overtones in all this is disconcerting.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Most saris look much better than jeans and a t-shirt by the way...
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Shaji M wrote:Jest aside, the racist overtones in all this is disconcerting.

I think it's possible we're being a wee bit over-sensitive here. I've looked at some of the coverage of this and beyond Jenise's suspicions, from what I've seen it takes a real effort to read racism into it. Maybe I'm missing something but I'd suggest it's just possible that locals have merely noticed a preponderance of BC license plates in the Costco parking lot and wish the store were less busy. Sometimes things really *are* that simple. If the store stays this busy, presumably Costco will either add a store or build a bigger one with more parking. At which point the local's reaction here can be seen as just silly, not racist.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:
Shaji M wrote:Jest aside, the racist overtones in all this is disconcerting.

I think it's possible we're being a wee bit over-sensitive here. I've looked at some of the coverage of this and beyond Jenise's suspicions, from what I've seen it takes a real effort to read racism into it. Maybe I'm missing something but I'd suggest it's just possible that locals have merely noticed a preponderance of BC license plates in the Costco parking lot and wish the store were less busy. Sometimes things really *are* that simple. If the store stays this busy, presumably Costco will either add a store or build a bigger one with more parking. At which point the local's reaction here can be seen as just silly, not racist.

Mark, the racism accusation comes from what I've heard from a few people in my own neighborhood--to my grief and dismay, believe me-- complaining about "all the ragheads". It might be an overreaction on my part to connect that with this news item, but since it mentioned the milk I couldn't help it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Shaji M wrote:
Jenise wrote:They're East Indians who come shopping in their saris and their Sikh headcoverings....

Thats a long way to come just to get some milk..Sure they are not real Canadians? :)

:) Surrey, the county immediately north of our shared border is a huge Sikh community. Thanks for explaining about the milk. I've never known--I keep meaning to ask next time I'm in line behind a lot of milk, and then I don't do it. We even stopped to change a tire on I-5 for a Sikh family and helped unload all the milk (about 20 gallons) in their trunk to get to the spare tire, and only after we drove away did I realize I'd missed a grand opportunity to ask.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Jenise,
Besides consuming the milk as is, there is also probability that they may be making yogurt. The Punjabis are well know for their lassi, which is basically a yogurt shake which is served plain with sugar or flavored with a variety of things - mangoes, berries, mint or depending on you know- cannabis.

Mark,
You may be right that this is probably a bit overblown and eventually Costco will open a new store and everyone will be happy and move on. But all this talk about milk makes me wonder how many ways one can cook with milk! I fear a new thread may be about to be born :shock:

-Shaji
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Shaji M wrote:there is also probability that they may be making yogurt.

And almost certainly paneer, the fresh cheese very common in Indian cuisine

David M. Bueker wrote:Most saris look much better than jeans and a t-shirt by the way...

Couldn't agree more.!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:02 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Couldn't agree more.!!

Their clothing is beautiful! I just don't get it when others find differnces threatening instead of fascinating.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:08 am

We don't have a Costco near us, but from my limited experience at the local Walmart, Burqas should be mandatory attire.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:10 am