Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Shopping list snafu!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Shopping list snafu!

by Shaji M » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 pm

So you go to Costco (where else). You get your 8 pound frozen lasagna, super jumbo pack of TP, 70 rolls of tape (when all you needed was one), 4 whole frozen chicken and conidering the times, 15 gallons of whole milk. After you reached home, you realize that you probbaly misread the shopping list and bought more milk than was really required. Now what?

How many different ways can you cook with milk? not coconut milk or yogurt because that would be too easy. Cheese and yogurt is too obvious. In certain parts of India (Bengal being quite noteworthy), a whole host of sweets like rasgulla, ras kadams etc are made. In some other parts, they make desserts with milk and rice (or other grains) such as payasams and kheers. Of the top of my head, I can only think of sweets or desserts that are made from milk. I am sure with the ubiquity of milk, there are other ways..
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Shopping list snafu!

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:53 pm

There's the Italian dish that involves roasting pork in milk and then making a sauce from the cooking liquids.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Shopping list snafu!

by Fred Sipe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:16 am

Sounds odd but tastes great. Love this Jamie Oliver recipe: