Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hatch Chilis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Hatch Chilis

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:21 pm

They are in at our local Raleys.....89 cents a pound.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Hatch Chilis

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:00 am

From what I've learned Hatch Chilies come in more that one variety ranging from mild to very hot. Which ones are these?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks, we need to stock up. I'm worried, though, that the drought might have produced chiles even hotter than last year's which in the case of what we bought were supposedly 'mediums' but which were incendiary (thought they also had hots, which were much worse). You know the old rule of thumb about every 12th chile being a doozy? Well, in what we bought last year, the doozies were every two out of three. Because of that, I really didn't reach for the as often as I usually would.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:56 pm

I had the same problem Jenise, hence I used less of them in a recipe as I normally do. They were still very flavorful, however I have enough left for another winter. I am happy for that as it is a project to prepare them for the freezer and with the heat and all the fires around us, I am not in the mood for it this summer.

I just saw the bin full of them and did not take the time to see if they were the medium or hot. Usually they have both. They were a little early this year and my guess is they are hotter than normal.