Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ketchup: Delicious or no?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Ketchup: Delicious or no?

by Jeff B » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:00 pm

I stand guilty on this one. :)

I enjoy ketchup on a hot dog, on hamburgers, with meat loaf.

I've heard that some enjoy ketchup with scrambled eggs, but I've yet to try that combination.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Ketchup: Delicious or no?

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Love it on burgers and lots of sauces. Prefer DelMonte, but can't get it locally, so we order a case at a time online.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:08 pm

No. Just say no.

Heinz chili sauce is okay, though, and so is spicy cocktail sauce, both of which superficially resemble ketchup but have much more "adult" flavor profiles.

And of course, rooster sauce rules.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:53 pm

On burgers - yes.

Never use it otherwise.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:55 pm

On mediocre french fries - yes. Really good french fries - no. Hamburgs - sometimes. Hot dogs - no - horseradish mustard and dill pickle relish. My grandfather used to say "If there's something you don't like, but you know it's good for you and you should eat, then put ketchup on it".
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:24 pm

What Howie said, plus sometimes I just like the child-like flavor profile. :P
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Ketchup? on french fries...that's about it for me. Otherwise....Sriracha!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Howie nailed it. On mediocre fries, yes. On good fries, no.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:13 am

I will pour what seems like half a bottle of ketchup on a hamburger or a hot dog on one day, requiring five to seven paper napkins, and eat a hamburger perfectly plain, but for some salt, on another, and enjoy both ways equally. What I like often depends on my mood at the moment.

I think it is important to clarify what scale an opinion of quality or preference is based on. For example, if you asked your namesake, save for Dahmer, what he liked to eat, it could differ from your preferences. Thus an individual opinion of preference and a quarter won't even get you a cup of coffee. One of the best measures is general agreement, so there is no question about whether ketchup is delicious or no. The answer is yes, it is.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Under no circumstances do I eat ketchup as a condiment. My condiment of choice is hot sauce. There is something about ketchup that I find disgusting. My husband loves it! Another reason we are a perfect couple. :?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:33 pm

When I use Ketchup, it is Heinz. Sometimes on a hamburger, sometimes fries, depends on my mood. I do enjoy what is called, "Country Ketchup" from Stonewall Kitchen. I usually add a little fresh lemon juice to it. For years I would not touch the stuff. A bottle of it lasts a very long time in our house.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:No. Just say no.

Heinz chili sauce is okay, though, and so is spicy cocktail sauce, both of which superficially resemble ketchup but have much more "adult" flavor profiles.

And of course, rooster sauce rules.

I finally threw away our bottle of ketchup because we had not used it in years. (Then bought another just in case).

I was a little enthusiastic when I tried Heinz Chili Sauce on eggs -- then I read the label and I think a lot of that "adult" flavor profile boils down to the unpleasant fact that the stuff is full of high fructose corn syrup!! I think that is probably what I was thinking made it "delicious." :|

I'll eat ketchup on a burger or fries on the rare occasion that we eat fast food out. We never seem to eat french fries at home. Naturally hot sauces are in the picture as well especially with eggs.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:29 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I was a little enthusiastic when I tried Heinz Chili Sauce on eggs -- then I read the label and I think a lot of that "adult" flavor profile boils down to the unpleasant fact that the stuff is full of high fructose corn syrup!! I think that is probably what I was thinking made it "delicious." :|

Sssshhh!!! :oops: I try to pretend I don't know that, as HCFS is something I try to avoid. :P

I thought ketchup had more of it, though. In my perception, which is probably biased and ridiculous, commercial ketchup consists of nothing but tomato puree, salt, HCFS and chemistry-set preservatives. Chili sauce at least has some additional flavors to lend it (relative) complexity. That's what I meant by "adult."

For what it's worth, some of the hipster restaurants around here that I frequent have taken to serving house-made ketchup, which I hope does not contain HCFS and tastes pretty good.

Here we go, this is Heinz Ketchup:

INGREDIENTS: TOMATO CONCENTRATE FROM RED RIPE TOMATOES, DISTILLED VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SALT, SPICE, ONION POWDER, NATURAL FLAVORING.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Here we go, this is Heinz Ketchup:

INGREDIENTS: TOMATO CONCENTRATE FROM RED RIPE TOMATOES, DISTILLED VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SALT, SPICE, ONION POWDER, NATURAL FLAVORING.

And this is Heinz Chili Sauce. Not a whole lot of difference, frankly, but I still like chili sauce and hate ketchup. Nya nya nya.

Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste, Water), Distilled White Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Corn Syrup, Dehydrated Onions, Spice, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavoring.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 am

Essential with hamburgers.

Like it with breakfast eggs & bacon in places where they don't have the king of sauces -- HP.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:57 am

Robin Garr wrote:

Here we go, this is Heinz Ketchup:

In UK Heinz Tomato Ketchup has the following listed under Ingredients:
Tomatoes (132g per 100g Ketchup), Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Spice & Herb Extracts (contain Celery), Spice
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 pm

French fries taste good to me with ketchup, but it's hardly a neccessity. Closer to neccessity it ketchup with fried shrimp.

But speaking of ketchup, a restaurant we dined at in Vancouver once served a very complex and tangy homemade 'ketchup' with bison ribs--ooh la la. If what came in the bottle tasted like that, ketchup would have a lot more adult fans and I'd be one of them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:52 pm

You know, people get all excited about making hot sauce at home from a recipe but nobody seems to care about artisanal home made ketjap.

Certainly in Indonesian or Malaysian cookbooks you can find a variety of ideas -- some of which aren't even red.

Tomatoes in Asia and Europe are a gift from Christopher Columbus.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Anybody ever make a green tomato ketchup?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:51 pm

As Frank was getting to: national brand ketchup I do not like. House- made, on the other hand - absolutely wonderful!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:58 pm

We switched to Wegman's ketchup which pretty much stands up to Heinz's ketchup. I use it on hamburgers with a thick slice of fresh onion and occasionally with certain fries. I also like it on meatloaf and (God forgive me) macaroni and cheese, even the good kind! My wife shoots me evil glances when I do the latter. It is a leftover from my childhood. I like the sweet and savory flavors mixed together.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Bottled catsup is to an interesting tomato based sauce as Velveeta is to farmhouse cheddar.

And with fries, give me mayo or give me nothing!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Jenise wrote: Closer to neccessity it ketchup with fried shrimp.

In these parts we do cocktail sauce with fried shrimp, and ketchup with fried clams. No mixing and matching!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Bill Spohn wrote: catsup

Why the alternative spelling? Are you channeling your pre-industrial persona? :lol:

World Wide Words: Why is ketchup also called catsup?
Next