Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ketchup: Delicious or no?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Ketchup: Delicious or no?

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote: catsup

Why the alternative spelling? Are you channeling your pre-industrial persona? :lol:

World Wide Words: Why is ketchup also called catsup?

No, I hadn't given it any thought, that's just the usual way I normally spell it, although I don't know that it makes any difference as the two word forms are, as I understand it, interchangeable. I'm not even sure that the different spellings follow regional areas. Maybe it is just what one was brought up with? There is likely a guy one door over from me that has always spelled it the other way.

However you spell it, it sure isn't my favourite condiment - most of it has way too much sugar in it. I prefer piquant sauces, hence my fondness for various mustards and horseradishes, although piquant tomato based sauces are certainly in my range too.

Our fridge contains the aforesaid horseradish, several mustards, Worcestershire sauce, some Sriracha, some black bean sauce, a bit of hoisin (sparingly used), oyster sauce and a couple of soys. We had a large bottle of catsup and one of French's mustard because my wife did a birthday party and figured that guests might like them, and then she lagged on her promise to consume or ditch teh remnants, but she finally managed to finish all that.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:40 pm

BTW, on regional variations, my wife is a vinegar fan, which is common here in Canada, but apparently not in the US as you never see bottles of vinegar on restaurant tables, at least not where we've noticed them. What's that about? Are there areas in the US that do put vinegar on chips, or is that a purely Canadian proclivity?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:BTW, on regional variations, my wife is a vinegar fan, which is common here in Canada, but apparently not in the US as you never see bottles of vinegar on restaurant tables, at least not where we've noticed them. What's that about? Are there areas in the US that do put vinegar on chips, or is that a purely Canadian proclivity?

That's though to be a British practice in the U.S., and it was customary - at least back at the dawn of mega-industrial fast-food chains - to have malt vinegar on the table at chips houses like Long John Silver's. Outside of that narrow faux-ethnic specialty, I don't think it's commonplace on this side of the border, but because it was the custom at a major chain, the concept is certainly well-known.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I don't know that it makes any difference as the two word forms are, as I understand it, interchangeable. I'm not even sure that the different spellings follow regional areas. Maybe it is just what one was brought up with?

No criticism intended. I just ran across that article and thought I'd share.
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:32 pm

My brother-in-law came on holiday with us when my kids were young - staying in a caravan.

At breakfest he decided to help out and sort the kids breakfast out - just cereals - he then plonked the Ketchup on the table.

'What's that for?' I asked

He replied 'Well, they've had it on everything else this hoilday so I guessed they had it on their cereals :-)'

Cheers, Dave C
I'm daveac - host of The 'Big and Fruity' Wine Podcast on Talkshoe ID 112272 every Tuesday at 5PM EDT
My vblog is on blip.tv & I'm co-host of The Cultdom Collective Podcast Talkshoe ID 54821 Sun 2PM EDT
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:51 pm

I think they are all approximating a malay original. KETJAP or KETCHAP.

Ketjap Manis is a liquid used in seasoning which has little in common with Catsup.

no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

by Bob Cohen » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:11 am

Dave C wrote:My brother-in-law came on holiday with us when my kids were young - staying in a caravan.

Now there's another interesting word. Caravan. When I see it, I think of a line of camels marching across the desert or Duke Ellington's "Caravan". But I gather that in British usage it refers to what in the U.S. is called a "trailer."
--Bob
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:47 pm

I think Kecap (or Ketjap) is just the word in Indonesia for sauce. And in English early ketchup/catsup just meant preserved sauce, tomato came later.
We do keep Kecap Manis in house, but as Frank says it's not at all related to US ketchup- it's a thick sweet soy sauce with star anise seasoning.
Doesn't one brand (not Heinz) keep the catsup spelling to differentiate?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Doesn't one brand (not Heinz) keep the catsup spelling to differentiate?

A little googling brings up quite a few images of Del Monte with the Catsup spelling, but you can also find the same brand as Ketchup, which is puzzling.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:BTW, on regional variations, my wife is a vinegar fan, which is common here in Canada, but apparently not in the US as you never see bottles of vinegar on restaurant tables, at least not where we've noticed them. What's that about? Are there areas in the US that do put vinegar on chips, or is that a purely Canadian proclivity?
Most eateries in the Buffalo area have vinegar (usually malt) on the tables for French fries.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Bob Cohen wrote:
Dave C wrote:My brother-in-law came on holiday with us when my kids were young - staying in a caravan.

But I gather that in British usage it refers to what in the U.S. is called a "trailer."

Yep, a caravan is a thing on wheels that is pulled behind a car and in which people sleep and cook when they stay in caravan parks with hundreds of other caravans. See http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/

Hated by those stuck behind them for mile after mile unable to overtake on our small roads
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 am

Dale Williams wrote:Doesn't one brand (not Heinz) keep the catsup spelling to differentiate?

You're right. At least, Del Monte used to, but I don't know if they still do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 am

Never touch the stuff. Mustard, yes; salsas, pues sí; hot sauces, you betcha; no ketchup (not even as catsup).

Mark Lipton

ETA: the closest I get is cocktail sauce with shrimp, but it'd better have lots of lemon and horseradish
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Dogs and burgers = ketchup and onions.

I saved the recipe below to try but have not made it yet. I'd like to avoid HFCS too.

Healthy Ketchup
Recipe yields 345g, or about 1.5 cups.
Can be sugar-free!

Ingredients

3 cups grape tomatoes (450g)
1/4 cup sliced onion (35g)
scant 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar) (12g)
1/4 tsp salt
sweetener of choice, to taste, or omit for unsweetened ketchup
1/8 tsp powdered ginger (omit if desired)
optional: pinch garlic powder or minced garlic

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400 F. Roast tomatoes and onion 40-45 minutes, or
until the tomatoes are shriveled and most of their liquid is absorbed.

Blend with all other ingredients. Let cool before putting in the
fridge, and for thickest results leave uncovered a few hours even
after putting in the fridge. (Recipe yields 345g, or about 1.5 cups.)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Sir Kensington is the hipster brand in my house: http://sirkensingtons.com/thedifference.html

Still have Heinz on hand for making cocktail sauce and for childhood purposes. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:51 pm

We went to a new hipster place in town today, a storefront eatery (grown up from a food truck) that specializes in many forms of grilled cheese sandwich. They do a house-made ketchup that's a thick, tart tomato sauce with a whiff of curry. THAT, I was willing to dip my fries in. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:16 pm

For those who have a Trader Joe's around, try their Organic Ketchup - it is really quite good and has replaced Heinz in my kitchen.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 pm

I can honestly say that I only use it for burgers and once in a while on fries. I wouldn't use the word "delicious" (like I wouldn't call milk delicious) but sometimes with a certain chocolate item milk is a must-have and that's how I feel about ketchup on a burger.
Tom T.
Previous