Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Urbanity gone wrong

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Urbanity gone wrong

by Jenise » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:51 am

Can you imagine having some enforcement cop show up at your front door to ticket you for having turned your front yard into a really beautiful kitchen garden? Apparently, there's a town in Canada with a law that prohibits more than 30% of your front yard from being planted to edibles. Nuts!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/illegal-kitchen-garden_n_1687558.html?utm_hp_ref=food
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: Urbanity gone wrong

by Redwinger » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:39 am

Just another reason why I like living in the country.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Story has been updated positively; go back and check again.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes, I saw that the authorities have come to their senses. But it remains insanity that it ever became an issue!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:26 pm

It has happened in CA Jenise and in other states. Most were overturned after a battle ensued. I'm know for sticking food plants anywhere I think they will do well. Sure would like to have one of those guys come to my front door :evil:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:24 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:It has happened in CA Jenise and in other states. Most were overturned after a battle ensued. I'm know for sticking food plants anywhere I think they will do well. Sure would like to have one of those guys come to my front door :evil:

Keep your hatchet ready, Molly. :)

I was thinking of Graham Kerr when I read that, and how he plowed up his front yard to grow food. I couldn't remember ever seeing an entire front yard converted to vegetable gardening, but if I drove past one I know I'd slow down and applaud.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:26 pm

I love the time lapse video. :mrgreen:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Great video...My garden should look like that. We have long ago decided that having a huge lawn is stupid. We fertilize and water so it will grow...then we cut it. How stupid is that? Yes, our yard is pretty, but had I known 37 years ago, what I know now, I would have planted edibles. They are every bit as beautiful as any other plant, especially if taken care of as that garden appears to be. Love it! The sharing is the frosting!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:09 pm

Mary has turned most of our small urban yard into gardens, but they're mostly flower and rock gardens. Our veggies are mostly tucked into raised beds in the back. I don't think anyone around here would complain about a veggie front yard, though. I'd guess about 70 percent of our neighborhood has converted lawns into gardens now.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:40 pm

I had our back yard plowed up about 10 years ago, made 3 distinct garden "rooms", planted flowers, herbs and flowers, and put gravel and slate over the walk areas. We like it much better. Though, we still have a bit of front lawn for curb appeal.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:00 am

Love the concept, but still wish I had astroturf.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:23 am

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I had our back yard plowed up about 10 years ago, made 3 distinct garden "rooms", planted flowers, herbs and flowers, and put gravel and slate over the walk areas. We like it much better. Though, we still have a bit of front lawn for curb appeal.

And your back yard is absolutely beautiful.

Our house is nothing but small gardens. Because of a metal fence, from the street all you see are gravel, river rock, two dwarf pines and a single bedding type of cypress. Once inside the gate, the front courtyard is paved but for a four foot rim of plants, a grape arbor, a natural slab stone bench and a giant manta ray sculpture that creates a sanctuary kind of experience. All my kitchen garden is within that rim, but for a rhubarb and a raised asparagus planter on the beach side that take advantage of the opportunity to put edibles anywhere they'll grow. It's amazing that for such a low maintenance yard, we still manage to mostly fill a yardwaste bin every two weeks.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:46 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Love the concept, but still wish I had astroturf.

You know, David, I had the exact same thought. Synthetic grass is looking better than ever, but we found it was shockingly expensive. Like $10 a square foot installed. Plus, it only has a lifetime of ten years or so because of the sun. I'm still looking for the right alternative to our thirsty grass, but synthetic did not work for us.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Redwinger wrote:Just another reason why I like living in the country.

What Winger said. I have chickens in the side yard and veggies in the other side yard. Don't like it?... get the hell off my property! :lol:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I had our back yard plowed up about 10 years ago, made 3 distinct garden "rooms", planted flowers, herbs and flowers, and put gravel and slate over the walk areas. We like it much better. Though, we still have a bit of front lawn for curb appeal.

Jo Ann, you have a fabulous yard! anybody complains, tell 'em to go suck on a lemon until they get a better attitude. 8)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:51 am

I have pictures of Jo Ann's yard in this thread:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24433&p=208875
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.