Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What's cooking?

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:37 am

Heinz Bobek wrote:Yesterday's desert was a raspberry charlotte (charlotte royale aka diplomat's tarte) decorated with whipped cream and strawberries.

Amazing, Heinz! What a beautiful charlotte!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Heinz Bobek wrote:Yesterday's desert was a raspberry charlotte (charlotte royale aka diplomat's tarte) decorated with whipped cream and strawberries.

1.jpg

Heinz, you're a master. That's sinfully beautiful.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Our dinner tonight? Just put our crab traps out, but I'm a little over-seafooded this week. So I'm leaning toward the dreaded Surf and Turf--like, Steak Oscar. As always, I'm creeped out by the wine selection, but I do enjoy the dish.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:09 am

Record catch last night! 28 crabs in one trap! Seven keepers! (As compared to 12 in the other three traps combined with only 1 keeper--as unusually bad on a per-trap basis as the one trap was unusually good.)

So tonight we're having our friends David and Nadine down for an all-crab dinner: crab cakes, crab cocktails, and crab-chorizo pasta.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Last night we had our 49th anniversary dinner at Warren's in Kittery, ME. We both had baked stuffed 1 1/4 lb lobster stuffed with lobster stuffing, along with pilaf, and salad bar. They have the best salad bar in the area (remember them?). Anyhow, it was a fabulous dinner. We didn't order wine as she can't drink any right now, so I washed mine down with a local brew.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Last night we had our 49th anniversary dinner

Happy Anniversary! :!: 8) :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Yes indeed, happy anniversary Carl and True Love!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Happy Anniversary, Carl.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Many thanks to all of you!!!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Happy 49th Carl. Your dinner sounded great!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Sometimes even food writers have to eat ... leftovers! I try to kick them up a notch, though. Here, the remains of Wednesday's black beans and corn, enhanced with a fresh spicy-umami tomato concassé, are served on hot pepper potatoes we brought home from Jasmine Sichuan. 

no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:06 am

1.jpg

What a beautiful desert!!!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Last night we cooked Chicken Romano, and served with pasta and pesto with basil we grew from one little tiny seed! Washed it down with '11 Masciarelli Rosato Colline Teatine. Had local peaches and blueberries for dessert.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Yesterday we smoked ten pounds of fresh king salmon. For breakfast this morning on the patio, then, we had a PNW take on lox and bagels: fresh white and orange smoked king salmons, mascarpone, red onion slivers with parsel and capers on split toasted multi-grain English muffins from a great local bakery.

After bidding our overnight guests goodbye, I turned the rest of the weekend's crab catch into 16 plump crabcakes.

And for the rest of the day, I'm going to rest. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Another leftovers night: Last Sunday's asparagus pesto had lost a little of its pretty green color in a sealed glass container in the fridge, but it still tasted fine, reheated and served over spinach shirataki noodles heated with a quick sauté in unrefined peanut and sesame oil. 

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:55 am

Dinner last night was Thai: pad prik gai bai krapow (stir-fried chicken, bird's eye chiles, and holy basil).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:35 am

Yesterday it was beef brisket cooked in a low sodium tomato based juice (Knudsen's Very Veggie) with carrots, onions, and celery. The house smelled wonderful and we loved the resulting juices. I also made a very spicy concoction with black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans, chipotle peppers in adobo, dried mustard and molasses,chile sauce, allspice, and cloves. Rainbow Swiss Chard from the garden, picked young, was on the side and a plate of heirloom tomatoes. Left overs for tonight :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 pm

Thinking of our friends and all the people in Isaac's wake in New Orleans and Cajun country, we cooked up a batch of garden okra and tomatoes into bowls of gumbo. 

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Wild Salmon with maple/mustard glaze. Sun-dried tomato Risotto and a medley of veggies, sautéed in butter and fresh herbs. I have Sunburst Patty Pan squash, baby okra, sweet peppers, red jalapeño, and torpedo onion.
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Today we had fried sea bass fillet on fennel cream with celery puree, carrot puree , pea puree and steamed potatoes

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Beautiful, and which puree did you like best with the sea bass?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Caprese Is a regular entry in the dinner rotation around here during summer, and the heirloom Italian oxheart tomatoes and Genovese basil are at their peak of flavor right now. Add just-made fresh mozzarella from Lotsa Pasta and fruity Sicilian olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground Tellicherry pepper ... and rub the serving plate all over with a smashed garlic clove and some extra olive oil before laying the tomato slices down, and it's over the top. 

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Beautiful, and which puree did you like best with the sea bass?

Agreed about the beauty, and i'd like to know about the purées, too.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Robin, Caprese is a constant for us this time of year.

One of my favorite variations -- green zebra tomatoes -- a subliminal sprinkling of sugar. The unique flavor profie of green zebras includes some sweetness and I just love to bring that out. It does NOT taste sugared, it tastes like the best Green Zebra ever.

Then of course fresh Mozz and fresh picked basil leaves from the back yard. The basil also brings out the green zebra flavor, I think more so than with most red tomatoes. The olive oil I have been using to finish is Veleta Olive Oil made by friends of mine in southern Spain. Beautiful green color...
PreviousNext