Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

Re: What's cooking?

by Heinz Bobek » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:51 am

Karen, Robin

Here are the really simple recipes of the purees served with the sea bass. The pea puree is my favorite one. The amount of the recipes serves 4 with the fish.

celery puree

Ingredients:
200 g peeled celery root
250 ml milk
20 g butter
salt
Preparation:
Dice the celery into small cubes throw it into the milk and cook slowly until soft. Have been cooked remove the celery from the milk and mix up in the Moulinette with 20 g of fresh butter to a fine puree. Season with a pinch of salt. Keep warm.

Carrot puree

Ingredients:
200 g peeled carrots
20 g butter
1 Shallot finely chopped
salt
Preparation:
Cut the carrots into thin slices and sauté them with the chopped shallot in 20 g butter at moderate heat until soft . Mix in the Moulinette to a fine puree. Season with a pinch of salt. Keep warm.

Pea puree

Ingredients:
200 g peas, fresh or frozen
1 small Shallot, finely chopped
20 g butter
3-4 tablespoons chicken broth
Salt
Pepper
Sugar
Piment d'Espelette

Preparation:
Sauté finely chopped shallot in 20 g butter, add the (thawed) peas and pour the chicken broth. Stir in salt, pepper, sugar and a little Espelette pepper and cook 10 minutes. Add some broth if necessary. Mix in the Moulinette to a fine puree. If you don't like the grainy texture of the puree strain through a sieve to remove the peels and keep warm.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Tonight we are putting a 7 lb. whole, bone-in turkey breast, which has been marinated and seasoned with a lot of fresh herbs and lemon, on the grill to roast. Sides will be Russian Banana fingerling potatoes, gold and red bell peppers from my garden, red onion and garlic, tossed with a combination of evoo and hazelnut oils, seasoned well and oven roasted. I am also making a tomato and bread salad with heirloom tomatoes and lots of colorful cherry types.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Lots of cooking yesterday (and concluding today): on the grill... 4.5# marinated boneless leg of lamb, shrimp kabobs, mixed vegetables in the perforated pan; in the kitchen... another bsteeya, first shot at adapting Kim's lemon quinoa recipe for orzo, and a batch of pistachio ice cream.

There are Green Zebras and bufala waiting patiently. :D

ETA: And a few roquefort cigars, made with the last few sheets of phyllo.
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Lots of cooking yesterday (and concluding today): on the grill... 4.5# marinated boneless leg of lamb, shrimp kabobs, mixed vegetables in the perforated pan; in the kitchen... another bsteeya, first shot at adapting Kim's lemon quinoa recipe for orzo, and a batch of pistachio ice cream.

There are Green Zebras and bufala waiting patiently. :D

Jeff, what is your marinade for LoL made from?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Jeff, what is your marinade for LoL made from?

I kept it real simple: The meat was butterflied by the butcher so I laid it on a cutting board, sprinkled it with a handful of fresh rosemary, 6 crushed garlic cloves, some sea salt and black pepper, squeeze a lime and drizzle olive oil over it, slap on two bay leaves, roll it up and put it in a ziploc bag with some more oil. Munge it up a bit and let it rest a few hours.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I kept it real simple: The meat was butterflied by the butcher so I laid it on a cutting board, sprinkled it with a handful of fresh rosemary, 6 crushed garlic cloves, some sea salt and black pepper, squeeze a lime and drizzle olive oil over it, slap on two bay leaves, roll it up and put it in a ziploc bag with some more oil. Munge it up a bit and let it rest a few hours.

That sounds great Jeff, looks like you kept it simple yet with plenty of flavor. How much did the lime juice show through? I had a LoL in hand today and put it back...should have bought it as it was reduced a couple $$.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Sunday I did a curry of sweet potato, carrot, broccoli, lima beans, and okra. I haven't ventured too far into from-scratch curries yet, although I do tend to doctor the pre-made pastes (vindaloo, in this case) quite a bit with my now rather limited on-hand ingredients (I gave up working at the spice shop to regain my weekends). I had a nice piece of blackfin tuna that I cut into chunks. The tuna went in right at the end to cook just until done and I finished the whole with coconut milk. It was seriously impressive flavorwise, if a bit soupy.

Yesterday I did a seared tuna loin piece (other half of the curried bit) that I'd coated with gochujang. Very rare. I put it on a bed of black beans, tomatoes and kale (alas, also a bit soupy) that I'd built earlier in the day. And also quite good. Beautiful holiday evening on the patio.

My cooking has gotten much more adventuresome since living on my own and not having to cook within the confines of the various palettes. But I find myself running in streaks culturally. I went on an Asian binge for awhile. Then the whole curry exploration. I've kind of settled into this agglomeration of styles now... the kale and tomatoes were spiced with cumin and turmeric (supposed to include corriander but see above) and I did the black beans separately with cumin and oregano, then combined them all, so the profiles at least worked together, but then the gochujang threw a whole new twist at things. Very pan-cultural, I suppose. I draw on inspiration from here and several other food sites, but rarely follow a recipe these days. I haven't not been able to eat anything; I think my repertoire is expanding successfully. :)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:20 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:That sounds great Jeff, looks like you kept it simple yet with plenty of flavor. How much did the lime juice show through?

The grill flavor is so strong, and the marination was so brief, that all that really comes through is smoke, a little garlic, and a little rosemary. I'd have to leave it overnight to get more of the other flavors into the meat. (That said, I still wouldn't expect the lime to show very much; I just want the acid to do a little tenderizing.)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Dinner yesterday was chicken thighs marinated overnight in the marinade (principal ingredients 5-spice powder, soy sauce, garlic, and scallions) I usually use for Chinese deep-fried chicken wings, then grilled. Served with a salad and Inner Beauty hot sauce as a condiment.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Dinner tonight is in the Crockpot. A seven bone roast sitting on top of carrots, celery, red onion, whole sweet peppers, with rosemary, thyme. A mix of home made beef broth, red wine, and Worcestershire is poured over. Yukon Gold potatoes are added two hours prior to serving. My house smells wonderful. I picked fresh sweet white corn today and we are having that, as well.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:56 pm

I had to share this with you because Gene and I thought it was excellent and a good use for a few Hatch Chiles from our freezer. It is actually a breakfast recipe, but a few of our friends are loving it more for a meatless dinner. I must say, it was a heavier breakfast than we usually have, but if you are heading for the ski slopes this winter, it would be great. Very tasty!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/KarenCalanchini/HuevosRancheros-TortillaCups.htm
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Aloo Bhindi ki sabzi, okra and potatoes with onions, tomatoes and lots of spicy Indian flavors.

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Last night we sauteed some very nice flounder fillets and served them with rice and our first (!) Brandiwine tomato. We deglazed the pan and drank with it a Glenora Finger Lakes Cayuga White. The wine made an excellent sauce for the fish and tasted great as well.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:08 am

Flat iron steaks with "southwest rub" grilled perfectly to the rare side of medium rare. Garden fresh peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic, cherry tomatoes and zucchini sauteed in peasant harvested Olive Oil from some remote Italian village not distinguished enough to be designated on the bottle. Potatoes roasted in the same Ugh Oh, homegrown garlic along with a finely chapped sprig freshly of picked rosemary. All served on retro dinnerware (Bob White pattern) from Red Wing pottery,

A 1998 Tom Eddy Napa Cabernet was well received by the Cabophiles in attendance. This was followed by a spectacular late summer sunset viewed from our Fiberon low maintenance deck, while seated in local, artisan crafted Adirondack chairs.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Tonight is lamb loin chops rubbed with rosemary infused olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary and grilled. A Mexican rice of sorts with tomatoes, cumin, chiles, and onion and garlic. Steamed cauliflower tossed with red onion, French Tarragon, tarragon vinegar and a little non-fat sour cream thrown in.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 am

Last night, it was coq au vin blanc with mashed potatoes and sauteed broccolini. There was a salad with feta and cherry tomatoes that my wife made and a warm kale salad that a friend brought. Dessert was a bruleed lemon tart with (storebought) honey cinnamon ice cream.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 am

Saturday night's dinner was Thai mahogany fire noodles.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:41 pm

A nice harvest from my garden yesterday of Amish Paste Tomatoes, Chinese Long Beans, jalapeños, and Sweet Banana Peppers, plus the discussion on using Tarragon with tomatoes prompted me to cook up a pot using all the ingredients. I added garlic, and fresh tarragon and will finish it off with a few more fresh leaves. It is smelling great. This is the first time I have grown the Amish Paste tomatoes and I am loving their sweet flavor in dishes. This will be a side to left over spaghetti and meatballs I made at the request of Gene yesterday.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 pm

This evening it will be breakfast for dinner. WAFFLES!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Bone-in, center cut pork chops and brown rice baked in the oven. Chops are dusted with poultry seasoning, topped with thick onion slices, red and yellow bell peppers. A mixture of home made tomato sauce and a nice red wine, poured over the mix and baked for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Very yummy and easy. An arugula salad with baby lettuce from the garden, with celery hearts and leaves, lemon cukes, and hearts of palm with a lemon, walnut vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:37 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Saturday night's dinner was Thai mahogany fire noodles.

-Paul W.

I have to add this dish to my repertoire. You did post your recipe, didn't you? I'm sure I begged for it, then somehow didn't get around to it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 am

ScottD wrote: But I find myself running in streaks culturally. I went on an Asian binge for awhile. Then the whole curry exploration. I've kind of settled into this agglomeration of styles now... :)

I think that's a good thing. You get curious, fascinated, and work with something until you get a handle on what attracts you, and then you move on to the next fascination. But you never really leave the thing you investigated behind; it remains part of who you are as a cook, it just goes on a shelf for awhile until it's needed again or 'agglomerated'. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:10 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Dinner tonight is in the Crockpot. A seven bone roast sitting on top of carrots, celery, red onion, whole sweet peppers, with rosemary, thyme. A mix of home made beef broth, red wine, and Worcestershire is poured over. Yukon Gold potatoes are added two hours prior to serving. My house smells wonderful. I picked fresh sweet white corn today and we are having that, as well.

Karen, I discovered a few years ago that those 7-bone roasts make THE best pot roast. Guess you discovered the same thing!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Every year 36 of us get together at the home of a close couple for a bbq/meat cook off. This years theme is "Meat on a Stick" sooo I made 55 skewers of "Jerk Chicken and Pork on a Stick" and grilled/smoked them on my egg for the cook off this afternoon. The winner is presented with a belt similar to the ones that are given to professional wrestlers only this one has depictions of meat all over the buckle. I'm not sure I want to win. :shock: :mrgreen:

Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PreviousNext