The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Arbois, Argentina, Chianti

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Arbois, Argentina, Chianti

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:18 pm

Tuesday Betsy was making a Bolognese sauce, needed a cup of white wine. Over phone I steered her to a 2005 San Felipe Chardonnay(Argentina) I had bought on a recommendation. I tasted when I got home- apple and tropical fruits, some vanillay oak, a bit short. Retasted tonight it seemed real short and dilute (if less oaky). Even at $7 I don't see this as a bargain. C+/B-

With the pasta and sauce, the 2005 Piazzano Chianti. This I do see as a bargain. Not especially complex, but jeez it's a basic Chianti for crissake.
Black cherry with accents of dried cherry and flowers, medium bodied with a little forest floor. Good acidity lets it stand up to the food quite well. Good wine for the $9ish tag. B

Knowing that tomorrow we were in a pesce-vegetarian No Turkey Zone, Betsy made poultry tonight. A chicken-parsnip salad with shallots. Because I wanted to, I opened a bottle of the 2002 Pierre Overnoy (bottled by Emmanuel Houillon) Arbois Pupillin Poulsard. Very light color, strawberry and citrus with a rather unusual funk. Zippy acids, nice length. I like , but Betsy is unenthusiastic, and I decide I don't like enough to overcome the spousal override, so this drops off rebuy list. However.....retasting a couple hours later, the pretty good but unexciting wine has made the transition to yeehah! wine. Ripe strawberries and cherries, damp earth and just a hint of cow patty. Showing more depth, more length, more everything. OK, just buying a couple more. B/B+ originally, but bump to B+/A- after maybe 2 hours air.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: Arbois, Argentina, Chianti

by Marc D » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:43 pm

I loved the Overnoy Poulsard and did order 4 more bottles. It is the complete opposite of the dark tannic extracted wines that seems to be the goal of many winemakers these days.
Marc Davis