Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Balance or homogeniety?

no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Balance or homogeniety?

by Elie Poltorak » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:02 pm

This article is right on the money: http://www.winemag.com/Wine-Enthusiast- ... f-Balance/
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Balance or homogeniety?

by Craig Winchell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 pm

"Balanced" doesn't mean "tastes like everything else". In the past, and in the present, wineries often styled their wines similarly to other wines, in order to fulfill a particular purpose-- such as trying for a 90+ Parker rating. That's a matter of style, not balance. One can balance a wine for early drinking or long aging, without ever adopting a stylistic similarity with other wines balanced like that.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: Balance or homogeniety?

by Elie Poltorak » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Craig:
You're right of course, great wine in any style can be balanced but unfortunately, many wineries are adopting "balance" itself (or what goes by that name) as their style--i.e., wines that don't express too much of anything. Unfortunately, the wine world has become a slave to fashion, chasing the latest trend, rather than making the best possible wine the fruit will allow. A great wine--like a classic saville row suit--whether overripe, parker-style or green--will never go out of style. I love wine in all styles. What I don't like is wine trying to be something it's not. In the past that's been chasing the fruit-bomb style, now the winds are blowing in the other direction, but it's all the same thing.