The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Bojo tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2005 Bojo tasting

by Jenise » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:43 pm

Went to a tasting at Slough Foods last weekend where my friend John DeGloria served some excellent wines.

2004 Brun Beaujolais Blanc (Chardonnay) Apple, pear, stems, tarragon, good acid, on the lean side but not austere. Loved it, ordered four bottles. $11.

2005 Domaine Dupre Terre Noire: raspberry, vitamin minerals, flowers, salt. Good, a C. $15.

2005 Jean-Paul Brun L'Ancien: raspberry, black cherry, even a touch of blueberry, excellent depth, OFS. Lightest alcohol in the line-up (at 12%, the heaviest weighed in at 13.5). A. $12.

2005 Pascal Aufranc VV, Chenas: floral, fruity, quite sweet midpalate, juicy, raspberry and banana, DuBoeuf-y. C-. $15.

2005 Gauthier Chiroubles: raspberry, bark, earth, fuller bodied than the prior wines, some tannins/grip. B+. $15.

2004 Perroud, Cote de Brouilly: blue purple, big wine, raspberry and blackberry, structure, extracted. Loved the fruit, but wished it weren't quite so extracted. B. $15.

2005 LaPierre Moulin-a-Vent: restrained fruit, good body, very very good. A. $16.

2005 Domaine Calot, Morgon: lightly confected nose, raspberry, good structure, a bit monotone, C+/B-. $24.

Sparkling J-P Brun FRV-100: Mildly stinky nose, strawberry and cactus flower, lightly sweet. Couldn't help comparing it to a good Cerdon du Bugey and finding it lacking. C. $14.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 2005 Bojo tasting

by Saina » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:40 pm

Thanks Jenise. I love Bojos, but we get so few here, that I thought I'd order a sample case of 2005s from abroad if I can find a shop that has a decent selection. Useful notes for that venture, ty.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:37 pm

Thanks for posting these, Jenise. I have a bottle of the Aufranc Chenas to open for tomorrow but from your description it doesn't sound that great. Speaking of banana flavors, I tried the 06 Drouhin Nouveau Beaujolais last night and it reeked of banana bubblegum. I have to get down to Slough Food and pick up some Brun and the Lapierre to try.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:48 am

Oh, of all the ones for you to already have! And I am remiss in my notes--I should have said something about the Chiroubles seeming to improve. John served all these wines a little too warm (I'm sold on the way chilling seems to release more flavor in these wines), and of all the wines we had that night it had the most potential to be graded higher than I graded it on a second pour. I'm going to pick up some myself.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov