Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Tulip Mostly Cabernet Franc 2010 (K) - 2 TNs

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 am

I wish to post the following TN in remembrance of Daniel Rogov - David Joroff z.l. as tomorrow, 09/07, will be a year after his passing according to the gregorian calendar.

While I assume that a TN for only one wine would be of less interest today considering the 120-200 many of you will be tasting tonight and next week in NYC, this wine will not be featured at neither of the events, Carlton nor Roger Smith according to the lists.

I have tasted the wine yesterday together with my friend winemaker Ilane Abitbol Ph. D. Ilane has been working in the wine industry worldwide for more than 15 years in Bordeaux, Spain, Argentina, Cyprus and of course in Israel. He's a frequent consultant for many wineries in Israel such as Shiloh and Teperberg to name only these and used to be part of the winemaking team at Barkan until 2005. More recently he has served as a judge in the panel of events the likes of Terravino as well as for several wine and food magazines in Israel. Ilane served as winemaker with the Hararei Kedem (nowadays Ben Porat) winery and teaches oenology at several colleges and universities in Israel. I've recently tasted wines that Ilane made with a new small boutique winery which has not yet released its wines to the market and I was impressed with the quality. I'm first posting Ilane's TN which I have translated from hebrew:

Ilane Abitbol:

Tulip, Mostly Cabernet Franc 2010: Deep red with pink reflections, the wine offers a wide range of aromas including peppermint, plums, loquat (known also as chinese plum) and chocolate. The mouth is refreshing, medium to full-bodied with flavors of black fruits, almond peels, bitter almonds and white flowers leading to a slightly alcoholic finish with touches of vanilla and cloves. Drink now - mid 2014. Will pair nicely with peppered chicken or beef strings in a sauce of mango, rhum and prunes.

My TN:

Tulip, Mostly Cabernet Franc 2010: A blend of 85% Cabernet Franc and 15% Merlot, aged for 15 months in french and american oak barrels. Deep garnet with light purple reflections, with sweet and spicy oak on the nose as well as ripe plums and raspberries with hints of vanilla and green bell pepper. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate plums, fresh green bell pepper, herbaceous notes, vanilla and a hint of raspberries, good acidity and soft caressing tannins with jalapeño and some bitterness on a long finish. A nice wine with varietally characteristic green notes of Cabernet Franc. I agree with the 2014 drinking window.

Best,

GG