Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Kosher Wine Society 4th annual New Wines and Vintage Tasting

by David Raccah » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:15 pm

New York is large enough to handle two kosher wine tastings within a few days of each other. The first one will be presented by the Kosher Wine Society on Thursday September 6th, 2012 at Roger Smith Hotel 501 Lexington ave, New York, NY 10017.

The wine event will be pouring many different wines, though the list so far (on the website) is a bit weak: http://www.kosherwinesociety.com/kws_ev ... &event=173

Still, I am sure Aron will update the page before long with more wines and today is the last day you can buy a ticket on the cheap.

I have purchased a ticket and I hope to see you all there. Of course, I get nothing from all of this, just a chance to taste a bunch of wines.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Samuel A

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:29 pm

Re: Kosher Wine Society 4th annual New Wines and Vintage Tasting

by Samuel A » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:39 pm

What's included in the $75? Seems like just wine. A steep price relative to the 67 Wine event in terms of what you get for your money. Having said this, I'm all for choices and wish Aron the best of luck!
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:41 pm

Indeed - that was why I said buy the tickets NOW, where it is still 50 bucks. After today it goes to 75 or so bucks. Either way, are others going, or are folks interested in a late Thursday night dinner?
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Some more wine have been added - has anyone heard of these wines:

QUADRI LATERO CHARDONNAY (Italy) -> Not Israel
QUADRI LATERO CAB SAUV (Italy) -> Not Israel
QUADRI LATERO DOLCEZZA (Italy) -> Not Israel

DALTON UVALIM CABERNET SAUVIGNON (ISRAEL)
BODEGAS TOBIA RIOJA (SPAIN)
QUEVEDO PORT (PORTUGAL)

These are wines that Yehoshua said were coming soon - I guess they are here :D
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:05 pm

David Raccah wrote:Some more wine have been added - has anyone heard of these wines:

QUADRI LATERO CHARDONNAY (Italy) -> Not Israel
QUADRI LATERO CAB SAUV (Italy) -> Not Israel
QUADRI LATERO DOLCEZZA (Italy) -> Not Israel

DALTON UVALIM CABERNET SAUVIGNON (ISRAEL)
BODEGAS TOBIA RIOJA (SPAIN)
QUEVEDO PORT (PORTUGAL)

These are wines that Yehoshua said were coming soon - I guess they are here :D

I've tasted the Dalton Yuvalim Cab I think last November and to be honest I wasn't impressed. As to the other wines from Spain, Italy and Portugal if anyone could provide info whether these are mevushal or not that would be greatly appreciated.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:09 am

Having just checked the list, it says that Gvaot will be pouring their 2010 Pinot Noir. Considering that only 2 barrels were made I'm quite surprised but if that's true you guys are in for a treat!

Tulip will be there as well, please do me a favor and make a point to taste the 2011 Just Cabernet Sauvignon, would be interesting to see whether you'll have the same experience as I had.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:12 pm

David Raccah wrote:Indeed - that was why I said buy the tickets NOW, where it is still 50 bucks. After today it goes to 75 or so bucks. Either way, are others going, or are folks interested in a late Thursday night dinner?

So are we having a forumite dinner tonight or Monday?
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:39 pm

There is no dinner on Monday night as they are feeding you wonderful food and wine on Monday night. Tonight there will be refreshments. I would love to do dinner tonight with anyone else. I want to try the tapas place, it is called ladino tapas. Either way, see you all tonight, god willing.

Anyone else interested?
David
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Hatzlacha and have a great time.. Must work in the Wine Shop Erev Yom Tov Weeks..
Look forward to tasting notes :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 pm

So, how was this?
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:19 pm

NU??
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 pm

I was deferring to the pros--David and Yossie--but seeing how everyone is impatient, I'll briefly post my recollections (I didn't take notes--I'm lazy like that). Disclaimer: At wine tastings, my ONLY goal is to separate the chaff from the wheat and find out what's worth buying to taste at home. I can't begin to form detailed TNs when trying 80 different wines in the span of an hour or 2--particularly since I don't believe in spitting out perfectly good wine :wink:

Overall impression: 2009-2011 were not good vintages for Israeli wines (which were the overwhelming majority of wines tasted). Although I'm sure GHW and some of the other big wineries will use their skills and experience to create great wines (as in "winemaker's vintage"), the boutiques (which dominated this tasting) and surprisingly, Carmel, haven't done as well, with lots of unwelcome green notes or the opposite--overripe notes of raisin. The flip side of that is that the baseline quality level of Israeli wines has improved to the point where even in these off years the baseline was pretty good--almost all of the wines were more than decent--unlike say the vast majority of Old World wines poured at the KFWE every year.

The star of the show--head and shoulders above anything else poured--was the Gvaot Gofna Pinot Noir (A). I can't pretend to know what PN is supposed to taste like because there are so few specimens on the kosher market that aren't undrinkable crap. GHW makes a very nice PN, but it tastes more like a syrah, with big, spicy fruit and none of the understated elegance PN is known for. The only other PN I've really enjoyed is the Four Gates (with an honorable mention to the City Winery PN). Having said that, this is an incredible wine and helps me understand why PN is all the rage these days. Full bodied but incredibly elegant, with an awesome nose. Unfortunately, I didn't get to this until late in the tasting, so I have a rather blurry recollection, but I liked it enough to want to buy every bottle I can get my hands on, as only a few cases were imported. I was told that Skyview received a case of 12 but he'd only sell me 4. That only leaves 8 bottles. My advice is to go and order 4 bottles for yourself right now. You will regret missing this one.
Once we're on the Gvaot table, their Herodian CS (B+) is excellent, brimming with tobacco and cassis. The Herodian Dance (B) I was less impressed with but perhaps it'll improve once the components have had more time to integrate.
Allied was also pouring a nice selection of Saslove wines, which I was excited to taste as I'd heard a lot about them but never seen them before (they just went kosher) but they were a disappointment. None were bad, but none were exciting either. All just plain OK. I hope their higher-end lines are much better.
There was a new Dalton blend (can't remember the name) that I couldn't get at all. I think it's a flop. The Dalton Anna was nice to try as I'd never spend that kind of money on it. It's a well-made wine but not my cut of tea. Too sweet and liqueur-like for my taste. The Shiraz on the other hand was delicious as always.
There was a new Italian winery "QUADRI LATERO" at the Allied table but it was totally undrinkable.

Moving along to the Brobo-however-it's-spelled, which you don't usually see at East-Coast tastings. There were 3 brobs being poured: the Besomin blend (can't remember what's in it) (B+), Makom carignan (B++), and Grenache (A-). All 3 were excellent but the Grenache was my personal favorite, combining medium-bodied elegance with powerful black fruit and spices. The Makom was also very interesting and unusual. I look forward to drinking all 3 these wines at home when I can better appreciate them.

Royal was pouring the new '09 crop of Carmel SVs with their new labels, matching the limited and Mediterranean, none of which were that great. The Sha'al Merlot (C+) was VERY sweet, cloyingly so, reminiscent of stewed plums. It'll settle down given some time but will never come into balance. The Kayoumi shiraz (B-) was also very unbalanced. The Kayoumi CS (B to B+) was by far the best of the bunch but still nothing to write home about.
Shilo Legend (A-) holding up well. Shilo Mor blend (B-)
Goose Bay Pinot Noir (B-) very thin.
There was an Argentenian malbec here as well--can't remember the name--but it was undrinkable, with searing tannins and residual sugar.
2011 Tulips: The CS (B) was a nice light quaffer but the merlot (C) was sweet, harsh, and unbalanced .
Gary was pouring a newly-received batch of Laurent Perrier (B++) which was really refreshing in the stifling heat. A wonderful surprise was the Elvi In Vita (B+)--an unpretentious but absolutely delicious hot-weather quaffer. Also pouring an Elvi Adar Cava in a redesigned label (B).
2010 Binyamina Reserve Carignana (B) A pleasant light-bodied quaffer.
Recanati was pouring 2010 White Special Reserve (B+), which is a great wine but wildly over-priced; the 2007 Special Reserve Red (B++) which was drinking very nicely, and the 2010 meditarranean lineup: the PSZ, Wild Carrignan, and Syrah, all with redesigned labels to match the carrignan. Pouring these wines was a shame, as they're completely inaccessible. They just arrived from Israel, and were opened minutes before pouring. I couldn't get anything at all out of them.
The River was pouring Kadesh Barnea (F), which was undrinkably sweet, and a lineup of Gush Etzion (unfortunately, they didn't have the best of the bunch: the Cab Franc): 2009? Syrah (B-) very overripe, sweet syrah, without the muscle to hold it together like a good GHW, the overall result being rather flabby. 2007 Blessed Valley Red (B) a nice blend, a bit on the sweet side--definitely a New World styled wine. CS (B+) a classic cab brimming with black fruit and a long graphite finish.

All in all, Happy Hearts had the best table, as they were pouring old, mature wine (mostly from Hevron Heights) that was drinking phenomenally well, rather than restricting themselves to the very-young so-so wines of more recent vintage. I saved this for last (as most of the wines weren't new), and did more drinking than tasting at this table :wink:
The big surprise here was the 2009 Ohr Haganuz Select Reserve CS (B+ to A-), as this winery doesn't have the greatest reputation. This is one of the last wines I tasted so I'd have to retaste to form a proper TN but it was a very good, full-bodied CS and drinking well despite its relative youth. I look forward to buying a bottle of this. They had the full lineup of Hevron Heights, all of which was delicious and all of which I've tried many times before. The standouts were the 2004 Syrah, the 2005? Pardess--rich, supple merlot with bracing but velvety tanins, and the Makhpela, the vintage of which I can no longer remember. The tempranillo on the other hand was rather thin, sweet, and unbalanced. There was a rose(Odem I think) and some dessert wines at this table as well, along with a small selection from Odem, but nothing stood out.

After the tasting I had a fun dinner with David and Yossie. They ordered some cava but I stuck to beer 8)
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:46 pm

I think we've found ourselves a new curmudgeon! :lol:
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Holly moly, well stated Elie! I totally agree with all he said. Overall, the wines were a let down. I must be careful when I say that, as folks jump down my thoughts saying a b+ wine is not a let down. Fine, there were no great wines other than the Gvaot Pinot. to be fair, none were poured! I was hoping for better wines from the 2010 Recanati wines, but such is life, they are all b to maybe b++ wines. None showed themselves as a true a wine, a real shame. The 2010 vintage is really rough, and that showed even in the Syrah/viognier or the carignan which were killer wines in the 2009 vintage. Again, Elie said it correctly, the best table was the happy hearts wines with nice mature wines from Hevron winery and the special reserve from Or Haganuz.

The Kaddish Barnea wines were not my style, but such is life. They were too ripe for me. The gush wines were OK, with the 2009 lone oak syrah showing nicely and the 2009 lone oak cab showing well. The blessed red from 2007 did not show well this time around, though i liked it the last time i had it.

The Royal table was OK for me. The Evita I had tasted before, and written about it so I skipped it along with the new bubbly. The 09 carmel Single Vineyards were WAY TOO hot, they were clawingly sweet and NO way would I buy them - period. Again, my opinion ONLY, so no one jump down my throat. Again, I was expecting far more from Carmel at this point of keeping the heat and sweetness to a tolorable level, but they missed on these, in my opinion. The 2011 Argentinian Andes Cab/Syrah blend was corked, so will try it next time on Monday. The mevushal legend is still lovely and not showing any cooked affects, so calm down whoever said the Legends were dead, they are lovely and will stay that way for at least a year or two more. Start drinking as they have no where else up to go.

The 2010 Capcanes Petita was fine, normal Petita at this point to me. There was a new mevu french wine and it was quite nice, with classic french styling though a bit hot and sweet, but controlled.

I was SO HAPPY that Brob was there that night! If you had the wines you would see what proper controlled ripe fruit tastes like! Nothing like what Israel is proffering as ripe wine.

The 2010 Binyamina Carignan was OK, but nothing to write home about.

I really was surprised how little traction there was on the year anniversary of Rogov on my thread, but either way, his statements was REALLY quite true. He harped on this subject quite a bit quoting Andre Tchelistcheff's axiom: "In a good year, don't worry about the wine. God made the wine for you. In a bad year pray to God that your winemaker knows how to make wine". 2010 wines are really NOT that enjoyable, but if you have a good wine - "blame" it on the winemaker for sure! In this case Shivi Drori the head winemaker of Gvaot has made some wonderful wines with his batch of 2010 grapes. The Pinot Noir is silky heaven in a bottle, with a touch of smoke and toast, all wrapped in a cherry flavored espresso. The Herodians were ok - but not in the same league as the Pinot.

Finally, the Happy Hearts table held older vintages and they were nice. The 2011 Odem Mountain Rose was nice, along with the Hevron Elona Mamre Chardonnay, though a bit too much oak and butterscotch there. The 2009 Or Haganuz showed well, the 2006 Mahpela was nice, and the 2007 Parderss was also nice. The hevron tempranillo was not my style, in my opinion, and the 05 hevron cab reserve was ok.

There was also a dude handing out cheese, called the cheese dude, missed all that as I am always focused on the wine and not really worried about the food.

Had a lovely dinner afterwards at the new-ish Tapa place called Ladino. Had some nice tapas, some ok, tapas, and some bad ones. Such is life.
Last edited by David Raccah on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Not to yank this thread in the wrong direction, but on the wines that were presented and available - a many few things became quite clear:

1) Again 2010 and 2011 were hard years. Take a quick look at the Wine Spectator scores that I psoted on my blog - the 2010 wines that did 90 or so, were one Psagot, a Castel C, and a surprise Recanati Diamond (which was nice and is MEVUSHAL!!!)
2) Also, the event was truly lovely! The gang at KWS do a great job and holding events. Except for one table, everyone was ready at 7 PM, and some poured early for a few of us (6:45 or so). Also, the wines aside, everyone was really nice, professional, and showed a sense of knowledge which speaks volumes to the event.
3) Also, for food, there was a man handing out cheeses from around the world. I was so concentrated on the wines that I blew off the table till the last minute. He sells his cheeses in the NY area and is happy to ship US wide. He had cheeses made in Sicily and other countries - everyone seemed very happy to consume the cheeses! Chck out his website, thecheeseguy.com

Finally, please be careful of your expectations of these wines and go in with open eyes. There are winners in these years - so no flames here. Also, I look forward to seeing what Castel continues to do with 2010 and 2011, along with Yarden, Yatir, and the other great wineries.
Last edited by David Raccah on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks David. You say it more eloquently than I can hope to. I agree with everything--particularly about how nice the crowd was. This was all wine connoisseurs --no one came to socialize. Made things more fun! My only read disagreement was the Gush Lone Oak syrah--I thought it was way over-ripe--sort of like a caricature of a GHW SV syrah. The Carmels really were a disappointment.

I just realized I could look up the wine list on the KWS site (http://www.kosherwinesociety.com/kws_ev ... &event=173) so I can correct a couple mistakes and omissions:

The "Argentinian" malbec I was referring to was actually the Lanzur from Chile.

The Dalton I thought a flop is the Yuvalim.

The French wine David mentioned is the CHATEAU TOUR SERAN MEDOC. On second thought, that's my second disagreement: I didn't like it much. Hot, unbalanced and a bit bretty. Although it has the classic French acidity and structure, it is not a very pleasant wine. B- at best.

I forgot the Gush Etzion Spring River blend. Not as good as the Lone Oak CS, but similar stylistically. I liked it better than the Blessed valley. B to B+

I didn't like the Elone Mamre chardonnay. The Odem rose was ok but nothing special. Otherwise, I second David's opinions on the Hevron wines. Other than the termpranillo (C), they were all mature wines--B to B++ and showing very nicely. I would buy them more often if they weren't so damn expensive in this country! (they're much more reasonably priced in Israel)

I wouldn't give up on the Recanatis entirely. They were clearly in bottle/travel shock and had no time to open up. Having said that, I agree with David that they definitely aren't as good as you'd hope. The PSZ was the weakest of the bunch. The carignon was rather light bodied, but had some nice spiciness. I'd definitely retaste in a few months as its probably the strongest of the bunch. The syrah was most approachable, with the viognier nose making itself felt, but it comes up short. Very preliminarily, I'd guess the PSZ would score a B, the Syrah perhaps a B to B+ and the carignon a B+ to B++ (if it develops nicely) but as David said, unfortunately none of these show a potential for greatness.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:23 am

Great to hear that you loved the Gvaot PN (I told you so! :mrgreen: ), no surprise here!

As to the Recanati PS-Zin, it must have been shocked as it's a great wine which I love and is very popular and so is the 2010 Wild Carignan, IMHO.

Also nice to see Hevron Heights getting some recognition on this forum. While I've never been a great fan of all their wines, I love the Makhpela 2007 and Isaac's Ram 2005 and I think that winery has some potential for some very interesting wines in the future.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:53 am

While I don't necessarily agree with David and Elie's overarching assessment of the quality of the 2009-2010 vintage wines, this is partially due to the fact that I previously tasted the majority of the wines discussed a few months ago in Israel - and many of them showed vastly [and positively] differently than they did last week - the Recanati and Carmel wines in particular. I was also happy with the overwhelmingly positive response to the Gvaot Pinot Noir since I was responsible for convincing Allied to bring it in! I have a few specific comments below, but first wanted to mention a few general issues I noticed.

I mentioned this before on the KFWE thread, but after the tasting last week, it is even more obvious to me that there is a real problem shipping wines from Israel to the US and it is one that should be addressed ASAP, before it starts to significantly impact sales and the popularity of Israeli wines at a time when the industry can least afford this (among other reasons, based at least partially on Rogov's passing - a matter I discussed in my 2012 Crystal Ball newsletter and recently mentioned by Chaim as well in his Galil Mountain post). Many wines show up here tasting drastically different than they did in Israel (and this includes tasting the wines at the winery, at professional shows like Sommelier and IsraWinExpo and enjoying them at home from the store). I don't know whether importers have changed the method of shipping or something else is going on - but it needs to get fixed quick.

Another problem, and one that is at least conceptually easy to remedy, is that many wines are being rushed to the consumer for economic reasons. This problem has two parts. One is wines that are rushed to tastings in order to be showcased to the largest possible audience, but ultimately hurting the wines after showing poorly (granted the majority of tasters can't tell the difference, but more and more people can and these are the potential consumers for the higher-end (read expensive) wines. Examples abound with recent ones being (a) a multitude of wines at KFWE including the Shiloh legend, (b) KWS's tasting last week (the Recanati wines had "just arrived") or (c) tonight's tasting (where the Katzrin 2008 is being brought specially and certainly won't be showing at its best).

The second prong of the problem is wines being rushed to the consumer before they are ready. I have heard from multiple winemakers on both sides of the Atlantic that the business side of the operation (or the importer/distributor) insists on receiving the new wines in time for the event/Jewish Holiday/specific date, etc. many times before the winemaker feels that the wine is ready. Now, while I obviously understand that wine is a business and folks need to eat, I think they are ultimately cannibalizing themselves by pushing wines on an increasingly knowledgeable constituent who is going to wise up at some point...

Three specific points. While I agree with Gabriel on the quality of the 2010 Recanati Mediterranean series (and chalk up the KWS disappointment to bottle shock), I am pretty disappointed in the winery's decision to drastically jack up pricing on this series and the Special Reserve White. Recanati for years was a Safe Bet Winery (that you could safely buy any wine) and a YH Best Buy (providing value for money) but seems to have recently become greedy and is close to losing the QPR title. While I understand the desire to take advantage of the massive hoopla (primarily Rogov driven) on the 2009 wild Carignan, I think its the wrong move for the winery. Only time will tell. With respect to the Hevron Heights Winery, while I agree there has been some improvement in recent years and Happy Hearts is doing a good job for them, the lack of consistency remains a problem as does the extreme labeling they continue to engage in. Lastly, the new Dalton wine is intended as an entry level (i.e. "Supermarket") wine, not a premium wine.

Looking forward to seeing folks tonight!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Yossie said it all by using his lawyer skills advocating the many aforementioned wines that deserve much better than poor storage, transport and pouring conditions. Thanks Yossie. On the bright side and as selfish as it may sound, I'm now a bit less frustrated for not having the possibility to attend these NY events. I wish you all a much better experience tonight with the wines that disappointed last week to which you should give another chance, perhaps they'll show better. Please have a glass of Roses Camille for me! :wink:
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Many wines show up here tasting drastically different than they did in Israel

Agreed!
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 am

by Joshua London » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:13 pm

Did anyone taste, and/or can anyone furnish more information on, the "QUEVEDO PORT (PORTUGAL)"? This is not a kosher wine I've heard of before. Is this a kosher run from Oscar Quevedo?
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:23 am

No idea, it is being brought in by allied so send some email to shai, he will tell you.
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

by Joshua London » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks! Will do.
User

Joshua London

Rank

Ultra geek

by Joshua London » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Yep, I was right. Just confirmed it: Quevedo Ruby Port (srp: $20-$25; 19.5% abv). Varietals: Touriga Nacional (30%), Touriga Franca (25%), Tinta Roriz (15%), Tinto Cão (5%), Tinta Barroca (5%), and 20% of other grapes that I haven't yet been informed of. The manually harvested grapes were fully destemmed and subject to a slow fermentation with (temp controlled up to 28 ºC and then subject to soft filtration.Total acidity 4.44(g/l. tartaric acid) with pH 3.56.

The "Quevedo" label is a family founded in 1991; the front-man/marketeer is Oscar Quevedo, Jr. (a former banker) and his (older sister) Claudia is the winemaker (since 1999, with a degree in oenology from University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro [UTAD] in Vila Real, Portugal). Their parents built the winery in 1991 in S. João da Pesqueira, a small town in the heart of Douro Valley, production (including bottling) of wine and port began there in 1992, sourced from 100 hectares of family land located in the Cima-Corgo and Douro Superior, planted with Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão and Tinta Barroca. Their grand parents and great grand parents were involved in wine growing too. Oscar is a very pleasant, energetic guy and maintains a great blog (about port, obviously). The house style is "easy-drinking" aimed at younger consumers not typically associated with port. They have a very good "fresh," "young," "upstart" reputation.

Here is a youtube video of Oscar on how they make port at Quevedo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc3TzPOj9F4

I've not tasted it yet, but the official notes from Oscar are: "Flavor: red fruit such as cherry, raspberry and redcurrant. In the mouth it is full bodied and dense with clear tannins with some fruity nuances evocative of plum and black fruit jam. Pairing suggestions: Apple tart; dates with bacon; chocolate mousse."

Due to shipping delays, it was not at the KWS tasting, but should arrive later this month. I'm looking forward to try it.