The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need advice on a wine matter

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Jones

Rank

Just got here

Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:49 am

Need advice on a wine matter

by Paul Jones » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:32 pm

Hello one and all. :D Sorry to be a bother,however I have something of a problem...if you can call it a problem. Recently my mother passed away and as a bit of a wine buff she had quite a bit of it in her estate.As it turns out she left me five bottles of Grange Hermitage of differing vintages.My problem is that I am not a really a wine drinker, nor do I have the ability to cellar the wine correctly. I would much rather see it go to someone that has the experience and appreciation to take care of the wine correctly. For general information the vintages are 69,72,76,77 and an 80. I did think about auctioning it however the whole process seems overly complex and rather cold. What should I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Many thanks for youre time. Regards PJ :D
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Need advice on a wine matter

by Florida Jim » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:46 pm

Paul,
First, my condolences on your mother's passing.
As for the wine, if I didn't have anyone to give it to who'd appreciate it and I didn't want to drink it myself, I'd probably donate it to a charity for purposes of an auction to raise money for their cause.
Other possibilities include trading it to a wine store for lesser priced bottles that you feel more comfortable with; trading it to a restaurant for credit in trade; or trading it in like fashion to someone who would enjoy the wine and receiving something in return that you would enjoy.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Bermuda

by Josh » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:25 am

I think there is a website that auctions wines and alot of them are estate type stuff. I'll look it up later. They do lots of vertical packages. I have not actually used them though
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:52 am

Paul,

It looks like your wines could bring somewhere around $150 per bottle at auction, on average. Unless you need the money I would just drink it yourself. It should be fun and interesting.

Enjoy,
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins