Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

Re: A NYC Wine & Food Pairing Feast Designed Just for Forumites

by Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:48 pm

im trying, found cheap tickets, lets see
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:28 pm

This event has been planned in my mind for about 6 months, but it was only put into action about two weeks ago. So we have not had the fullness of time to dot every "I" and cross every "t" in terms of the precise wine list.

Yehoshua - yes we are proudly serving Yarden's schmitta wines. Shomer Shabbat pourers will be doing the honors. Most of the guests will not care and will thus taste some of Israel's best wines from an above average vintage. Those who care can abstain. Chabad will be supervising the pouring as well as the logistics around the disclosure and pouring of the schmitta wines. If it's ok with them, it alright with me.

Yossie - the 08/09 indication is intended to mean that both vintages will be presented. I would not expect there to be much of the brand new 2008 Yarden Katzrin. I will tell you that the CEO of Yarden will be personally beinging this wine as a formal launching in the US. If we get one bottle we should happy as clams, particularly since I did not even ask for this wine to be included (didn't know it was even released in Israel yet). I am also told that the Shirah wines will be in limited supply, simply b/c the distributor doesn't have the bottles yet.

I have reached out to all of the distributors regarding the # of bottles of each wine that they are bringing and have been assured that they will be as equipped as they are for the Gotham events. So I am optimistic, but cannot guarantee anything. So please don't base your decision on whether to come to the event on the desire to be able to have multiple tastes of a particular wines or even a handful of wines. There will be plenty of new and delicious wines to taste and it should be a fantastic time, particularly for couples.

Incidentally, the final list of Dalton wines just came in:
ALTON ANNA NV (2 bottles will be present)
DALTON ESTATE SHIRAZ 2010
DALTON ALMA SMV 2009
DALTON ALMA CAB SAUV MERLOT-CAB FRANC 2009
DALTON ALMA WHITE 2011
DALTON RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2009

We have welcomed additional Reserve wines. We'll see what we get!
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:30 pm

1. There's no issue in drinking otzar beis din shmitta wine. The issue is in buying it, as commerce in shmitta fruit is forbidden.
2. Adam: Who is "Chabad"?
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Rabbi Yosef Wilhelm, who is affiliated with the Chabad Lubavetch organization, will be supervising the pouring.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:56 pm

FYI, there is no such thing as the "Chabad Lubavitch organization." Chabad-Lubavitch is a movement--there is no central organization to be affiliated with.
Anyhow, I look forward to the tasting. Yasher koach to all the organizers!!!
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi Eli - As tempting as you've made it, I don't even want to go there...let's put the pedantics aside and just focus on having a great time on Monday night! :D
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:41 pm

Adam M wrote:Hi Eli - As tempting as you've made it, I don't even want to go there...let's put the pedantics aside and just focus on having a great time on Monday night! :D

Not trying to be pedantic. I'm just making the point that it's misleading when people (whether for kashrus hashgocho or otherwise) claim to be "affilated with" or represent "Chabad." Chabad is a movement ANYONE can claim affiliation with. Since we're on the topic of hashgachot, there are several hashgachot operated by Lubavitchers (OK, CHK, KSA, as well as numerous local Va'ads, particularly in Canada, California, and Florida), some of which are reliable and some are not. None are "affilated with" or represent Chabad, beyond the fact that their proprietors and/or supervising rabbis may be chabad chassidim. Each chabad organization and institution is entirely independent, as are of the local shluchim. Beware of anyone who claims to represent "Chabad" as such, as its typically a fundraising scam.

Anyhow, I definitely agree with your suggestion about focusing on a great time Monday night. Yasher koach again for organizing it! 8)
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:49 pm

P.S. Just to clarify, none of this was related in any way with Rabbi Yosef Wilhelm, who is the rabbi of Chabad Young Professionals, a project of Chabad of the Upper East Side. I know Rabbi WIlhelm well and trust him implicitly. I'm very happy to hear that he'll be supervising the wine-pouring.
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elchonon Hellinger » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:09 pm

oh snap! Flight booked.. Sorry Eli I couldent come today besides im still recovering from surgery... but I expect you to pick me up at JFK ;) :P
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:37 am

In commemoration of the one year passing of Daniel Rogov, I will be bringing a bottle of the very limited edition Carmel "Rogov" brandy for tasting during the last hour of the event. A special thanks to Gabriel Geller for helping me secure this bottle.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Adding once again to the list of wines. This time not to taste but only to view and take orders to purchase. The following vintage wines are expected to be present at the event:

1.5L 2000 Labegorce Zede
3L 2000 Smith Haute Laffite
2000 Yarden Katzrin red
2001 Yarden El Rom Cabernet Sauvignon
1.5L 2002 Castel Grand Vin
1.5L 2003 Castel Grand Vin
A variety of Capcanes
A vertical of old Yarden, including cabernet sauvignon

I would expect that these wine will have fixed prices, but that it might be possible to negotiate further.
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Alas, I have college Monday nights.This is all making it very tempting for me to cut class and go anyway. Being that I'm only 21 this would actually be my first opportunity to be able to get into a real tasting.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Adam M wrote:In commemoration of the one year passing of Daniel Rogov, I will be bringing a bottle of the very limited edition Carmel "Rogov" brandy for tasting during the last hour of the event. A special thanks to Gabriel Geller for helping me secure this bottle.

Anytime Adam, my pleasure. Hope you and all the folks there will like it as much as our fellow forumite Mark Lieser did.
no avatar
User

Marc G

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 pm

by Marc G » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Im attending by myself and would like to meet some of you. Since I havent met almost anybody, I was wondering what would be the best way to meet.
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elchonon Hellinger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Marc G wrote:Im attending by myself and would like to meet some of you. Since I havent met almost anybody, I was wondering what would be the best way to meet.

Wear a sign ? lol naw c'mon there's 150 people, you want to get to know every one there!!
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:24 pm

at the Domaine Roses Camille table! See you all tomorrow
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:31 am

Adam:
It occured to me that most people here, not being used to shmita wine, probably aren't aware of the strict halachic prohibition against spitting such wine. You should have some sort of sign to remind people that halachically, the shmita wine is holy and must be swallowed.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:11 am

Hi Eli - we have discussed this with the Rabbi who will be supervising and have left it with him as to how best to handle. Best, Adam
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Not to derail the conversation or segue into an ill-placed kosher-centric discussion, but FYI - only Shmittah wines designated Otzar Beit Din cannot be wasted (i.e. spat) - this is not true for the many Shmittah wines that are Heiter Mechira.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:50 pm

The only 08 so far are Yarden and galil which are Otzar Beit din.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Guys, was the glaring lack of wine from outside of israel on purpose? Just wondering?

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

NYC

by Adam M » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Yes. This is not intended to be a "kitchen sink" type of tasting. We were very selective. In consideration of this, we decided to limit the universe so as to avoid uncomfortable conversations. About 120 wines for about 100 people isn't too shabby. I'm worried about this vintage debacle, though :shock:
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Yes, we wanted to focus on Israeli wine specifically, though there are a few exceptions (some excellent wines that are hard to come by).
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Indeed the addition of Shirah and DRC are nice.

Thanks
PreviousNext