Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

An herb Q for the experts

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

An herb Q for the experts

by Bob Henrick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 am

I usually plant several herbs in the garden each spring including basil, rosemary, parsley, oregano, chives, thyme, and some I don't even remember. Several years ago (10 or more) I planted some tarragon and it has propagated to the point that I almost wish it were eradicated. This summer I took my string trimmer and whacked it to the ground, but alas it is on the rise again. The last two years (for various reasons or excuses) I haven't planted many herbs so I have had to purchase whatever I needed except for thyme and some oregano, and of course the tarragon. Since the tarragon is pushing up from the massacre and the fact that I don't have basil, would it be possible (if sacrilegious) to use some of the tender young tarragon leaves in place of basil as a caprese like salad? Also, if you have recipes using fresh tender tarragon I would like to see them, so I can gather these leaves while they are young and tender. Of course I will make a liter or so of tarragon flavored vinegar, but not try to dry any of it as the oil will dry up and this results in an almost flavorless herb. Thanks in advance.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: An herb Q for the experts

by Carl Eppig » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 am

I'll leave the substitution question to others, but just wish my tarragon would begin to get established. This year I gave it lots of room and it still fizzeled.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 am

Carl Eppig wrote:I'll leave the substitution question to others, but just wish my tarragon would begin to get established. This year I gave it lots of room and it still fizzeled.

Be careful of what you wish for Carl. Tarragon is almost as invasive as mint, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. BTW, I started mine in a controlled space and soon had to move it to the yard.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:04 am

Bob, tarragon's delicious with tomatoes; also particularly delicious with chevre cheese so you might consider both substitions.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:10 am

My French Tarragon does the same thing. Be happy, it is hard to find in the nurseries sometime and I am told it is difficult to propagate.. When it gets too big, dig some out and give it away or dry it. I use it in chicken dishes a lot, Bearnaise Sauce, scrambled eggs, chicken and noodle soups, use it in pesto, and if you want to use it with tomatoes, do it. It is fun to play with herbs. There is no right or wrong what you do with your herbs. I've made tarragon butter to smear on roasted chicken. I love it on fillet steaks. Use it when sautéing mushrooms, make tarragon mayo, it is great with crab and mango salads, and so on!!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm basically on the same wavelength as Karen. I think one can freely substitute any herb for any other herb. Of course, the dish will taste differently but it will "work". This is why you see recipes for non-basil pesto, etc.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Of course I will make a liter or so of tarragon flavored vinegar, but not try to dry any of it as the oil will dry up and this results in an almost flavorless herb. Thanks in advance.

Although I have not tried drying it at home, I do use Penzey's dried tarragon. I can tell you that it is not flavorless. When I open the jar, I can immediately smell it's aroma. I use it in cold dishes and cooked. I also buy it in bulk for the winter season. I should try drying some of mine. .