Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tomato soup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Tomato soup

by John Treder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:19 pm

I have this tomato tree that's burgeoning. I'm thinking I want to make tomato soup for supper next week sometime. And I want something that isn't just red or pink stuff that you could put in a mug and drink.
I'm thinking I'll make some regular soup, and then poach some tomato slices in it. Has anyone tried something like that? A handy how-to guide for dummies?

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tomato soup

by Jenise » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:31 am

John, if you are talking about using Campbell's soup as your base, haven't done that but can't imagine that it wouldn't improve on the original. What I'd be more likely to advise you to do is combine your fresh tomatoes with canned tomatoes, add butter, salt, sugar, lots of black pepper and milk, and cook that for a good half hour or so and then puree--make your own tomato soup.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 pm

I was planning to make my own soup puree, then add some slices and poach them. Plain tomato soup, even homemade, is just sort of blah.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Perhaps roast the tomatoes along with some onions and garlic with a good amount of olive oil and S&P first prior to the puree soup part to intensify the flavor. A little Worcestershire and anchovy might liven it up and add some lip smacking goodness to the mix And wouldn't a sprinkle of gremolata be good on tomato soup? Gotta try that...
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Good idea, Fred!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm going to make this one tonight and substitute roasted garlic for the powder and a whole poblano for the half jalapeno.

http://steamykitchen.com/14010-roasted-tomato-soup.html

With the obligatory grilled cheese w/sharp cheddar and dijon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:05 pm

John Treder wrote:I was planning to make my own soup puree, then add some slices and poach them. Plain tomato soup, even homemade, is just sort of blah.

Not mine!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Golly, mine is not blah either. I always roast the veggies; tomatoes, deep red bell peppers, red jalapeño, a head of garlic. and onion. I also add the half-sharp paprika or smoked. I do not want it tasting like marinara sauce. It has to be served with a grilled cheese sandwich, preferably an English sharp white cheddar. The Amish Paste tomato, Cherokee Purple, along with a variety of cherry types makes a nice soup.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:54 pm

Well, the only homemade tomato soup I can remember was Grandma's, and it had tomatoes with a little onion and quite a lot of celery. "To thicken it up," she said.

I never had a doubt that tomato soup could have more substance, but a cursory Google showed mostly recipes that looked like Grandma's. Ergo, my post here! 8)

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:00 pm

I make mine more as a bisque, somewhat more opaque than a straight tomato soup but not heavily so (2% milk). Seasoning with lots of pepper and sometimes tarragon gives a broad-spectrum of flavor, and sometimes we garnish it with crumbled blue cheese. But that's only to make it different; it's plenty exciting enough on its own.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Tomorrow's the day. We shall see what we shall see. (Another Grandma saying.)

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bob Sisak

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 am

Shrewsbury, MA

by Bob Sisak » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:27 pm

I found a great recipe on www.saveur.com for French Tomato Soup about a year ago and have made it many, many times since. You simmer chopped tomatoes, onions, potatoes and garlic with thyme and parsley in water (I use chicken stock) for about 30 mins. Then run it through a food mill, add creme fraiche and season to taste. Delicious!
Bob Sisak
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:28 pm

I made my tomato soup this morning. I checked the recipe offered by Steamy Kitchen posted above, and mine is similar in that I roast the tomatoes, onions, fresh garlic, red bell peppers, red jalapeño, then throw it in the blender. I add salt, pepper, smoked paprika, a little half-sharp paprika and that is it. Pure and delicious tomato soup. The Amish Paste tomatoes and the addition of a variety of the cherry types made for a thicker soup. I added some home made chicken broth, no cream or anything else. It is very tasty, and the fresh tomato flavor shines.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I made it and it was good!
Sauteed some onion and garlic, added chopped fresh Early Girl tomatoes (the ugliest ripe ones) and some oregano leaves, and stewed for about 20 minutes. Chilled for a while and pureed it with a hand blender.
Then I put it in a pan and warmed it up, adding a good bit of chopped basil, the tomato rounds, and some chopped pieces of the rest of that tomato, a goodly amount of pepper. Simmered very slowly for 10 minutes while I was making the cheese sandwich. Locally made goat's milk cheddar.
The wine was 2005 Hawkes Merlot, Alexander valley. Good soup, good wine.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John in the wine county