Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

It's terrine time again!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: It's terrine time again!

by Jenise » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:46 am

Wow is that beautiful, Heinz. Is the yoghurt frozen, or is it more of a stiff mousse?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Everything Heinz has posted has been amazing!!!
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:28 am

Jenise wrote:Wow is that beautiful, Heinz. Is the yoghurt frozen, or is it more of a stiff mousse?

Thank you Jenise and JuliaB. The terrine is a yogurt mousse.
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:21 am

Yesterday we had a rabbit galantine for lunch. The deboned rabbit was filled with a chicken-pistachios-farce and the rabbit innards. (liver and kidneys)

1.jpg

Slices of the galantine were served on a Madeira sauce with black walnuts and sliced bohemian dumpling.

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:30 am

Yum!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Arrived here a tad late but really like that Mushroom Terrine. Think I might have a go when I am in the mood!
Will probably spend the rest of the day on YouTube checking out terrines, pates, galantines. Oh, have a `09 Bordeaux tasting tonite, grin wink.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Heinz, once again beyond beautiful. What's it served with in the last picture? Slices of bread dumpling? And?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Jenise wrote:Heinz, once again beyond beautiful. What's it served with in the last picture? Slices of bread dumpling? And?

Thank you Jenise. The galantine is served on Madeira sauce with sliced bohemian dumpling and black walnuts (Pickled unripe Walnuts harvested around the 20th of June)

Bohemian dumpling

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:55 am

Heinz your dish looks great (well all the dishes you have posted look sensational)
I wonder if you could please share your Bohemian dumpling recipe, yours looks much more interesting than
any I have recipes I have found on the net so far.
Many thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Heinz your dish looks great (well all the dishes you have posted look sensational)
I wonder if you could please share your Bohemian dumpling recipe, yours looks much more interesting than
Many thanks.

I'd be interested in it too. I recognized it because it's something I tried to make a few months ago, and my version did not work out. It was too dry because I wrapped it in foil (even though I poked holes in it to allow some seepage during the boil), but the recipe I was following called for it to go in the water bare ass naked and I was just sure it would come apart if I did that. And if I thought so it probably would have, the dumpling itself was probably too dry to begin with.
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:47 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Heinz your dish looks great (well all the dishes you have posted look sensational)
Many thanks.

My mother's recipe

Bohemian Dumplings (Serves 6)
Ingredients

70 g soft butter,
4 eggs separated,
Salt,
approx. 1/4 l whipping cream,
300 g of flour,
1 tsp baking powder
4 stale rolls, or an equivalent volume of Toasts.
40 g butter for roasting.

Preparation
Whip up the butter and egg yolks until frothy, add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat with a wooden spoon and pour in whipping cream portion wise until the dough becomes a pasty texture. Cut the stale rolls into cubes (about 1 centimeter), and fry in melted butter until golden brown. Let cool down and stir into the batter. Beat eggwhites until stiff and fold in carefully. Don't care if the dough becomes smoothy. The lighter the dough, the fluffier the dumplings. Place the dough onto a cold water moistened and well squeezed dish towel and shape the dough into a roll by softly wrapping the towel around it. Tight well both ends of the roll with kitchen strings and drop it into boiling salted water. Let simmer for 30 - 40 minutes. Unwrap the napkin just prior to serve and cut the dumpling into equal slices using a yarn and drizzle with melted butter.

Good luck and bon appetite
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:08 am

Heinz many thanks for sharing your mother's recipe.
I look forward to trying it in the near future.
Barb
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:03 pm

So I made the dumpling and it was excellent, light and fluffy. It made a great accompaniament to some leftover cassoulet and indeed I think I may use it as the starch next time I do a cassoulet party.
I can see many uses for this as an alternative starch dish, and I am sure it will lend itself to additions such as herbs.
Again thanks Heinz, it's a keeper.
Barb
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:55 am

On Sunday I made a veggie terrine and a rabbit galantine for this week. In the terrine, chicken farce, pistachios, mixed vegetables and slices of smoked turkey breast were incorporated. The rabbit galantine contains chicken farce and minced rabbit meat seasoned with garlic and italian herbs. A slice of the veggie terrine and of the rabbit galantine were served with lambs lettuce. A yogurt - mustard dressing complemented the light supper. Toasted rye bread as side dish.

1.jpg
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:24 am

That is a pretty terrine. You must have quite a sharp knife to get the asparagus to cut in such neat circles.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 am

I love love love those classic vegetable terrines, Heinz, both to eat and make. Yours is gorgeous!

And it makes me feel good just looking at it. Layering in the ingredients of a complex multi-part terrine is creatively therapeutic, and the suspense of waiting to see how it turns out when you cut into that first slice--no two are ever really quite the same--is culinary tension of the very best kind. I'll have to dig out a pic to show you of the terrine I was most nervous about of all terrines--an all-meat one, but I had never attempted a pattern before and the result exceeded my expectations.
Previous