Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recipe comments

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Recipe comments

by Jenise » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:09 am

Just now I was searching the 'net for a white sangria recipe. The first one I looked at cracked me up. There's the recipe, then there's the first commenter who gave the recipe five stars out of five, though she said she had to tweak it a "little". Compare the recipes. Other than the fact they both had fruit....

•1 Bottle of white wine (Riesling, Albarino, Chablis, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc)
•2/3 cup white sugar
•3 oranges (sliced) or may substitute 1 cup of orange juice)
•1 lemon (sliced)
•1 lime (sliced)
•2 oz. brandy (optional)
•1/2 liter of ginger ale or club soda (ginger ale for those with a sweeter tooth!)

Preparation:

Pour wine in the pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the orange,lemon and lime into the wine, add brandy if desired. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and add sugar. Chill overnight. Add ginger ale or club soda just before serving.
If you'd like to serve right away, use chilled white wine and serve over lots of ice.

Addition ideas: sliced strawberries, peaches, handful of fresh blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, a shot or two of gin, brandy or rum, a cup of citrus-flavored soda pop.

User Reviews

5 out of 5

a little tweaking makes a great hit!, Member coolchix

what you need: 1 bottle of reisling 1 bottle of vino verde 4 OZ cointreau 2 OZ brandy 4 little cans of dole OJ/pineapple juice (24 OZ total) 4 green apples 4 oranges 3 lemons pomegranate seeds 2 25.4 fluid OZ bottles of italian lemonade soda.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Recipe comments

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:19 am

Looks fine to me.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Needs more cow bells!!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:45 pm

OK, maybe "tweak" is not quite what she did....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Those reviews always crack me up. More often though, I find someone pans a recipe, saying it was awful, but they didn't have dijon so substituted yellow mustard, and didn't have currants so left them out, etc. etc.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Those reviews always crack me up. More often though, I find someone pans a recipe, saying it was awful, but they didn't have dijon so substituted yellow mustard, and didn't have currants so left them out, etc. etc.

Same here. So much so that I generally don't even read the user reviews; most of what's there just isn't relevant. The recipe itself is going to look like what I need or it's not, and the opinions of people who don't have as good a palate as I do aren't going to help!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:34 am

For a great parody on user-submitted recipes followed by comments that are even better, see the Ice Cube recipe on Food.com.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:07 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:For a great parody on user-submitted recipes followed by comments that are even better, see the Ice Cube recipe on Food.com.

:lol: Excellent!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:For a great parody on user-submitted recipes followed by comments that are even better, see the Ice Cube recipe on Food.com.

:lol: Excellent!

This comment from the poster is what made me hysterical. " I'm publishing this recipe because I'm sure that there are other families who have members, who don't know how or have forgotten how to make ice when the ice tray is empty. "

OK, so if I had a family member who did not know or had forgotten how to make ice, it would be time for them to receive full time care. Really? Does anyone measure the amount of water they put in their ice trays.?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:This comment from the poster is what made me hysterical. " I'm publishing this recipe because I'm sure that there are other families who have members, who don't know how or have forgotten how to make ice when the ice tray is empty. "

Often, comments like that are aimed at teenagers who think that ice cubes just magically appear in the freezer....
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:09 pm

You want some funny comments? Check this shit out!

http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398/

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Robert J. wrote:You want some funny comments? Check this shit out!

http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398/

I believe that would be the same shit that Mike mentioned about five posts upthread. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44948#p367764
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Oh, you think I actually read all of these posts, don't you? Silly Robin.
:oops:

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Robert J. wrote:Oh, you think I actually read all of these posts, don't you? Silly Robin.

I sort of hated to out you in public like that, but it was just too good an opportunity not to. You know ...
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:This comment from the poster is what made me hysterical. " I'm publishing this recipe because I'm sure that there are other families who have members, who don't know how or have forgotten how to make ice when the ice tray is empty. "

Often, comments like that are aimed at teenagers who think that ice cubes just magically appear in the freezer....

Yea, well some teens do. They think a lot of things that will come to light with maturity and then the bubble bursts.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Oh, you think I actually read all of these posts, don't you? Silly Robin.

I sort of hated to out you in public like that, but it was just too good an opportunity not to. You know ...

Never, ever turn down an opportunity like that.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 am

An aside on the topic of mixed wien drinks. Do they rub anyone else the wrong way? I prefer to drink only wines that are pleasant as wine, and chucking sugar, fruit etc. into a wine doesn't improve it in my book, unless it is a poor wine that I wouldn't drink on its own, in which case why would I drink it tarted up to try and make it palatable? Guess I just don't get mixed drinks based on wine - would rather drink wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:44 am

I'm with you, Bill. Although a few weeks ago, I'll admit to soaking sliced fruit in a cheap white jug wine and then mixing it with ginger ale, on ice, for a "crew brew" kind of pick-me-up when spending all day in the Clubhouse kitchen a few weeks ago when it was 80 degrees outside, and liking that just fine. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Remind not to invite either one of you to go wassailing with me.

Nor to munch tapas together.

And I shan't bother giving you a copy of my lovely book on punches.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm with you, Bill. Although a few weeks ago, I'll admit to soaking sliced fruit in a cheap white jug wine and then mixing it with ginger ale, on ice, for a "crew brew" kind of pick-me-up for my helpers when spending all day in the Clubhouse kitchen a few weeks ago when it was 80 degrees outside, and liking that just fine. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm with you, Bill.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:I'm with you, Bill.

Well, not THAT way. :wink:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:53 pm

I make an exception for a good-quality Sangría, either red or white. Granted, I only consume them in hot weather, but they can be quite nice. As for the wine involved, I'd place it in the same category as "cooking wine:" a bottle of something that I don't mind drinking but not something that I'd typically drink on its own.

Mark Lipton
(Does this mean I can have tapas with you, Jeff? :lol: )
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:(Does this mean I can have tapas with you, Jeff? :lol: )

Yes, it does.

When's your next deposition... a great Spanish-Sephardic place recently opened near my house.