The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Thanksgiving Day Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: Thanksgiving Day Wines

by John Tomasso » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:05 am

NV Pierre Peters Champagne Blanc de Blanc Brut Cuvée de Réserve
Beautiful yellow - golden color, with a frothy mousse. Roasted nut and yeasty nose - medium weight on the palate - some mineral notes, and tart fruit, but also an odd touch of sherry flavor - oxidation?
Enjoyable bottle, but not as good as other examples of this bottling that I've had.

Hitching Post 2000 Highliner - Santa Barbara County
My last bottle of this - it's been quite some time since I've opened one.
Wonderful brick color, clear at the rim, and perfectly transparent. The color is one of a mature wine.
The nose is fragrant with crushed berry and earth - the wine hits the palate with elegance and grace - lovely cola notes, along with the berries following from the nose - some candied fruit - good underlying acidity - this bottle is fully mature and drinking very well. Pinot Noir in a style I love. This was an excellent bottle of wine.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: WTN: Thanksgiving Day Wines

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:12 pm

I was told to leave my own bottles home and just bring the bread, so I did and this is what we pulled from our gentle hosts' wine cabinet.

'03 Testarossa Palazzio Pinot Noir, Central Coast, 14.3% alc./vol., MSRP $32.00 Very strong earthy, barnyard, to some in the room offensive aroma, to me simply Pinot Noir. Although somewhat overwhelmed by the homemade jalapeño-laced whole cranberry sauce (yum), there was adequate acidity to keep things in balance. Trended toward a dark fruit, more California-style, drink-alone, complex Pinot Noir.

'02 Testarossa Palazzio Pinot Noir, Central Coast, 14.2% alc./vol., MSRP $32.00 Less barnyard, more oak on the nose. This wine had relaxed and was ready to drink. This Pinot Noir trended toward a more Burgundian style (despite the alcohol level!!), less forward, more subtle fruits. Not so good with the cranberry sauce, but great with the turkey.
And now what?