Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Artichoke Nibblers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Artichoke Nibblers

by Jenise » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:16 pm

At a pot luck wine tasting last Friday night, my favorite thing were these tangy, chewy little squares or marinated artichoke goodness and I convinced their maker to send me her recipe. It's a brilliant party food, and I'm sharing!

ARTICHOKE NIBBLERS
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 6oz jars marinated artichoke hearts
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp each pepper, oregano and tabasco sauce
1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 tbsp parsley

Drain the liquid from one jar of artichoke hearts and discard. Drain the liquid from the other jar into a fry pan. Add onion and garlic and saute. Chop artichokes into quarters. Combine eggs, crumbs, salt,pepper, oregano and tabasco. Stir in cheese and artichoke. Add onion mixture. Pour into 7" x 11" buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with parsley, Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly set. Cool and cut in 1" squares.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Artichoke Nibblers

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Jenise, this recipe goes back into the 80's and possibly the 70's. It was big party food then. There was another version called Chilie Cheese Squares which used Ortega Chiles that was also very good. Those eggy appetizers were the thing in those days. When I first read it, I thought perhaps the 60's so I looked it up. I'm going to check my Better Homes and Gardens, circa 1963.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, this recipe goes back into the 80's and possibly the 70's. It was big party food then. There was another version called Chilie Cheese Squares which used Ortega Chiles that was also very good. Those eggy appetizers were the thing in those days. When I first read it, I thought perhaps the 60's so I looked it up. I'm going to check my Better Homes and Gardens, circa 1963.

Not at all surprised, Karen. But the result isn't eggy, or custardy, at all. I was surprised to see that it had that much egg in it--didn't show at all in Gail's version.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:23 pm

I found an online reference to this recipe in The Best of Bridge series cookbook (Canada, late 1970's). Who knows where they got it from...!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Not at all surprised, Karen. But the result isn't eggy, or custardy, at all. I was surprised to see that it had that much egg in it--didn't show at all in Gail's version.

You are right and that is why they were so good.....the egg is just the glue that holds all the yummy things together. May just have to put that on my list to make the artichoke version soon. Our eldest son is coming up to go hunting with a life long family friend. I could send it with him for the guys to enjoy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:24 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I found an online reference to this recipe in The Best of Bridge series cookbook (Canada, late 1970's). Who knows where they got it from...!

Wow, a Bridge book! How fun--food for "ladies who lunch". A true time-capsule food, then, as Karen suggested, though for those of us with no other reference (and at a wine tasting, no less, where the flavors were particularly exciting) it seemed entirely modern and fresh. I'd be willing to nominate it to "timeless classic" status.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Wow, a Bridge book! How fun--food for "ladies who lunch". A true time-capsule food, then, as Karen suggested, though for those of us with no other reference (and at a wine tasting, no less, where the flavors were particularly exciting) it seemed entirely modern and fresh. I'd be willing to nominate it to "timeless classic" status.]

I'm not a wine connoisseur, (I just know if I like it or not) but I have heard that artichoke can be difficult to match with wine. So I'm guessing that since it was in a casserole type dish, that it did not matter as much? Or was there a wine served that went well with artichoke?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Wow, a Bridge book! How fun--food for "ladies who lunch". A true time-capsule food, then, as Karen suggested, though for those of us with no other reference (and at a wine tasting, no less, where the flavors were particularly exciting) it seemed entirely modern and fresh. I'd be willing to nominate it to "timeless classic" status.]

I'm not a wine connoisseur, (I just know if I like it or not) but I have heard that artichoke can be difficult to match with wine. So I'm guessing that since it was in a casserole type dish, that it did not matter as much? Or was there a wine served that went well with artichoke?

Yes and no. Straight artichokes aren't the wine friendliest food in the world that's true, but they actually go quite well with inexpensive oaky new world chards and pinots. If you don't, or won't!, drink inexpensive oaky new world chards and pinots you're in trouble.

But like a lot of difficult stuff, when combined with other flavors that ARE quite wine friendly, like cheese and eggs, there's virtually no issue. These were just great with the Cab Francs we were tasting that night.
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 pm

Artichokes, asparagus, spinach and fennel are difficult companions for wine. The culprit is a substance called cynarin that makes wine taste either sweet or bitter and metallic. Give a generous amount of lemon juice over artichokes and the effect is nearly blocked and wines such as young, full bodied Chardonnays, fresh Sauvignons and simple red wines from southern France get a chance.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Made this for a last minute invite to a small bites pot luck gathering before a concert. The entire pan vanished between 5 people. Made as per recipe with Wisconsin aged, white cheddar. Quite tasty. Worked well in a pinch.
Other bites were red pickle eggs; steamed edamame; chorizo crostini; smoked Lake Superior whitefish. Everyone had enough by concert time.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Glad the recipe worked out for you, thanks for the report.