Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Return / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Return / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:46 am

bsd
On an envelope the words "Return to Sender" are ominous;however in a reflective mode ring true and clear.
While sitting on the plane to and from Israel,I had many an opportunity to read the screen which tells of the temperature where you are; the time where you came from and the time at the place where you're going and how high one is in the air. Yes;sometimes its good to return to the deepest part of who we are and who we can become.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Return / WeeksEnd wine

by Stacey B » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Return return. Just landed in the Holy Land on Thursday :D !
Thursday night Ramot Naftaly Shiraz 2009
Friday Night galil Ela 2010, Recanati Cab Franc 2010,Alexander merlot 2006
Shabbat Day Galil Alon 2010
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov,

I was almost done writing my notes when my PC suddenly switched off! :x

Friday night:

Binyamina, Reserve Shiraz 2007: I never paid attention to the label until last night apparently, as I didn't know that alike its "older brother" in the Avnei Hachoshen series, this Syrah/Shiraz is also blended with 3% Viognier, 14 months in french and american barrels. Anyway dark garnet, medium to full-bodied with on the nose loads of red plums, ripe blackberries as well as some oak, followed on the palate by juicy blackberries, red plums, licorice and sweet cedar wood with soft tannins rising on the moderately long finish. A very new world fruit bomb yet with gentle oak and good acidity. Like this one very much.

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Appellation Carignan Old Vines 2008: This vintage is very successful for this wine which I never was a fan of till the '07. Blended as every year with a bit of Petit Verdot for added body and color, 12 months in french oak barrels. Dark, almost impenetrable royal purple, full-bodied with on the nose plenty of ripe black fruit and cigar tobacco, followed on the palate by dark cherries and ripe bramble, licorice, and notes of fresh espresso with big, almost chewy tannins on the long finish. A big wine and a great QPR.

Gmar Chatima Tova and I apologize and ask you all for forgiveness if anyone was ever offended in any way either by one of my posts or for whatever reason.

GG
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:44 am

Hi Harry,

Lueria Rosso 2008 - From a blend resembling that of a Super Tuscan, I expected a wine radically different from all other Israeli reds, but in the end what I got was a wine with pretty typical Cabernet Sauvignon characteristics, albeit restrained and mellow. This wine is a blend of 40% Sangiovese, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon and 20% Barbera, sporting a very restrained 13% AbV, yet with a very ripe and lush mouthfeel. Although the wine spent 18 months in French barrels the tannins are very silky and coat the mouth nicely. The flavor profile is primarily that of dark fruit such as blackberry and plum, toffee and chocolate. The bass notes of tannin are present, but the high notes of acid are absent. Overall, its a lovely and easy wine to drink, but do not expect something stylistically out of the ordinary. B-/**

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:54 am

2001 Point Reyes Vineyards Quail Ridge Vineyard cabernet (Marin County)
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:35 am

hi; mount olivio rosso 2005;contrary to the prophets of doom this wine is drinking so nicely.Perhaps browning on the edges,yet the chocolate ,dark fruit nad nice finish are there to enjoy.Also Herzog zinfandel 2009 good with a bit of licorice on the mouth feel.h
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:02 am

Hi. I enjoyed the 2008 Terra di Seta Chianti Classico. Considering that I paid only $14, this has a solid QPR. Drinking well, but throwing sediment despite the fact that it is relatively young. I was under the mistaken impression you only have to watch out for sediment in older wines.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:30 am

Kidush once again on 2011 Flam Rose. I just can't help myself!
2010 Recanati Chardonnay (B-/**) Medium body; nice balance with good acidity and bright passion fruit; short on the finish; not terribly exciting. A simple chardonnay without heavy oak.
2007 Yarden Pinot Noir (B+ to A-/**) What a difference a year makes! Last time I had a bottle of this wine less than a year ago it was full bodied and exploding with spice -- you had to pinch yourself to believe it's a pinot. Now the spiciness has faded, the body has thinned, and it has begun to assume the brick color typical of aged PN. When I first opened the bottle there was some oxidation on the nose but that blew off, however it scared me out of aerating or decanting, but the wine ended up taking forever to open up and was much better then next day, when the intense spiciness reemerged in a more muted, balanced form. Drinking very well but not sure how much longer this wine will hold up. Next time I'll decant several hours before.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 am

Friday night - GHW Yarden Pinot Noir 2008 - This wine was really enjoyable. Full bodied, with a very intense and concentrated nose and mouth of dark cherries with strong notes of spice and oak. The finish on this wine was very long and full (it reminds me of some of their single vineyard wines). It was enjoyable after being open for a few hours but was much better the next day.
Shabbos day - Finished the Pinot, had a Malheur 12 (Belgian Quadruple) with the cholent - superb! For dessert - still drinking the Yarden T2 2008, which is still delicious after being open for a week.
no avatar
User

Marc G

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 pm

by Marc G » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:54 pm

2002 Carmel Ramat Arad Cab
2006 Prix LAte HArvest Chardonnay
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Marc G wrote:2002 Carmel Ramat Arad Cab
2006 Prix LAte HArvest Chardonnay

Marc:
How was the Ramat Arad? I haven't had one of those in YEARS! Personally I think Carmel's best single vintages were before they launched the SV series: the Ramat Arad (especially the Merlot) and the Zarit were both fantastic.
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Friday night - Bravdo Shiraz 2007 - Found it Friday morning in the temperature-controlled back room at Hinnawi Yehud - Owner sold it to me for the same price as the 2010 - Still full of berriess but has calmed down and no longer so powerful (like the 2009).
Shabbat morning - Galil Mt. Viognier 2011.
Chatima Tova.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Marc G

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 pm

by Marc G » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:31 pm

The Ramat Arad used to be one of the best kosher wines around. The story is that it was made from Yatir grapes. Its still very drinkable but starting to develop those raisin and prune flavors.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Fri Night - Carmel Kayoumi SV CS 2007 - delicious and smooth.
Sat Lunch - Split a growler of Victory Festbier (Oktoberfest-style lager) with my dad. Also delicious and smooth.