Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

In honor of Erev Yom Kippur, Yarden El Rom 2008

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi guys in Honor of erev Yom Kippur when festive food is a mitzvah, we opened a bottle of El Rom 2008. What can I say... total blast! :D We opened it 2 hours before drinking using a vinturi and a decanter carafe. Yet the wine was not fully opened up.

GHW, Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon El Rom Vineyard 2008: Dark, almost impenetrable garnet with some purple reflections at the rim, full-bodied with on the nose ripe blackberries, dark cherries, black currants and some hints of toasted wood as well as cigar tobacco, the same following on the palate layer after layer with notes of espresso and backer's chocolate lingering with beautiful, almost mouth-coating tannins on a seemingly endless finish. Luciously scrumptious.

Gmar chatima tova,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

Re: In honor of Erev Yom Kippur, Yardel El Rom 2008

by Adam M » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:Hi guys in Honor of erev Yom Kippur when festive food is a mitzvah

Hi Garbiel - After a quadruple take I still didn't get this? Seeing as it is not yet Erev Yom Kippur and I certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone that they drink wine while stockpiling food on their way to shul. I could speculate as to what I think you are saying but thought I'd simply pass it back to you...
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Adam,

Yes, here in Israel it's Monday night so we're already erev Yom Kippur. The gemara, Rosh Hashana Ch. 9, says that just as there is a mitzvah to fast on Yom Kippur, there is also a mitzvah to eat Erev Yom Kippur. Now if this mitzvah should apply starting from the previous night is another question but while the relationship is not exactly parallel and based on Rashi the mitzvah of eating Erev Yom Kippur seems to properly prepare for the fast by eating a good meal beforehand. Now I wouldn't drink wine just before a fast, especially not before Yom Kippur but the previous night? Why not? This ain't Tisha B'av and Yom Kippur is a Yom Tov, not a day of mourning. Now please excuse me but I've never considered this forum to be the most appropriate place for divrei torah...

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

by Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:50 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:Hi Adam,

Yes, here in Israel it's Monday night so we're already erev Yom Kippur. The gemara, Rosh Hashana Ch. 9, says that just as there is a mitzvah to fast on Yom Kippur, there is also a mitzvah to eat Erev Yom Kippur. Now if this mitzvah should apply starting from the previous night is another question but while the relationship is not exactly parallel and based on Rashi the mitzvah of eating Erev Yom Kippur seems to properly prepare for the fast by eating a good meal beforehand. Now I wouldn't drink wine just before a fast, especially not before Yom Kippur but the previous night? Why not? This ain't Tisha B'av and Yom Kippur is a Yom Tov, not a day of mourning. Now please excuse me but I've never considered this forum to be the most appropriate place for divrei torah...

Best,

GG

Good point actually, as the mitzvah is to feast
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

Re: In honor of Erev Yom Kippur, Yarden El Rom 2008

by Yehoshua Werth » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:11 am

Had a glass of wine before the fast :) SILLY!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Isi M

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 am

Israel

by Isi M » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:44 am

Now please excuse me but I've never considered this forum to be the most appropriate place for divrei torah...

Best,

GG

Hello,

Why not ?
On the contrary I think. Many of the latest posts is about kosher wine.
Kosher wine and blessings goes often together.

Regards
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Isi M wrote:

Now please excuse me but I've never considered this forum to be the most appropriate place for divrei torah...

Best,

GG

Why not ?
On the contrary I think. Many of the latest posts is about kosher wine.
Kosher wine and blessings goes often together.

Hi Isi, moadim lesimcha! You're right but it has been often discussed on this forum that we should avoid halachic and religious discussions here as this forum is about wine after all, essentially kosher and/or israeli but not only and I wouldn't like to see people staying away if such chats would make them feel uncomfortable in any way.

Have a great Sukkot!

GG