The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bad News for Beaujolais (Nouveau)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Bad News for Beaujolais (Nouveau)

by Joy Lindholm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:17 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/26/france-wine-beaujolais-idUSL5E8KQ4NJ20120926

While I don't think anyone will be any worse off with less Beaujolais Nouveau in the market this year, this doesn't bode well either for Cru Beaujolais.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Bad News for Beaujolais (Nouveau)

by Tim York » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:31 pm

There's mixed news there. If it is correct, as the article states, that the wines will be more concentrated and therefore better (the latter doesn't necessarily follow, IMO), that is positive. On the other hand, if the low volumes mean that some producers will be bankrupt, that is a negative develop if it affects promising youngsters.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Tim York wrote:There's mixed news there. If it is correct, as the article states, that the wines will be more concentrated and therefore better (the latter doesn't necessarily follow, IMO), that is positive. On the other hand, if the low volumes mean that some producers will be bankrupt, that is a negative develop if it affects promising youngsters.

Agreed. I just hope the jump in price isn't so significant as to take away the affordability of great Cru Beaujolais. We have such great success selling Morgon and Moulin-a-Vent, as Burgundies of comparable quality can be 2-3 times the cost.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:
Tim York wrote:There's mixed news there. If it is correct, as the article states, that the wines will be more concentrated and therefore better (the latter doesn't necessarily follow, IMO), that is positive. On the other hand, if the low volumes mean that some producers will be bankrupt, that is a negative develop if it affects promising youngsters.

Agreed. I just hope the jump in price isn't so significant as to take away the affordability of great Cru Beaujolais. We have such great success selling Morgon and Moulin-a-Vent, as Burgundies of comparable quality can be 2-3 times the cost.

Joy,
This brings to mind a question. Morgon and M-a-V are the two crus producing the most ageworthy wines. If I were buying Gamay wines to serve in the near term, I'd be looking to Chiroubles, Fleurie (some), Brouilly and the better non-Cru Beaujolais (Chermette, Brun, Lapierre's Raisins Gauloises). Do you think that your patrons would not be as willing to buy those "lesser" Crus? Just curious.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Joy,
This brings to mind a question. Morgon and M-a-V are the two crus producing the most ageworthy wines. If I were buying Gamay wines to serve in the near term, I'd be looking to Chiroubles, Fleurie (some), Brouilly and the better non-Cru Beaujolais (Chermette, Brun, Lapierre's Raisins Gauloises). Do you think that your patrons would not be as willing to buy those "lesser" Crus? Just curious.

Mark Lipton

Absolutely, but from what is currently available here we have found two offerings of these crus that stand out. Our list is less than 100 labels, so we have to narrow down quite a bit.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Interesting article, Joy, thanks for posting.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:37 am

Joy,
I'm a novice about Beaujolais. When I looked up Morgon I found three: Georges Duboeuf Morgon Descombes, Georges Duboeuf Morgon Domaine de la Chaponne and Georges Duboeuf Morgon Flower Label Cru Du Beaujolais. Were you referring to one of them?

Dan
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:Joy,
I'm a novice about Beaujolais. When I looked up Morgon I found three: Georges Duboeuf Morgon Descombes, Georges Duboeuf Morgon Domaine de la Chaponne and Georges Duboeuf Morgon Flower Label Cru Du Beaujolais. Were you referring to one of them?

Dan

Dan,
I am referring to small grower-producer Beaujolais, rather than négociant (someone buying grapes from many growers and selling them under their own label) based Beaujolais. Georges Duboeuf, Louis Jadot, and Joseph Drouhin are three of the most well known négociant in Beaujolais and Burgundy. The Morgon I was referring to is made by Jean-Paul Thévenet. Here is a link to the importer, Kermit Lynch's site, where you can find other great cru Beaujolais: http://kermitlynch.com/our_wines/jean-paul-thvenet/.

Cheers,
Joy
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Kermit Lynch is money in the bank!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:44 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Kermit Lynch is money in the bank!

C'mon, at least some of his wines are cheap and cheerful.