The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2012 Oregon Growing Season

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

2012 Oregon Growing Season

by Jenise » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Per a newsletter I just received from Cristom Winery in McMinneville:

Summer arrived on July 5th and we’ve had gorgeous weather for over two months now. Gorgeous in Oregon means that we attained our average high temperature of 83F during the day, with clear blue skies and evenings where you can dine al fresco without a jacket. October is continuing this trend! October 1st saw a high/low of 82F/54F. To date, we have more heat units in 2012 than we had in 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2011.

October 1st also brought with it the beginning of harvest. We have processed 3 tons of our “Parking Lot” block of Louise Vineyard Pinot Noir and 2.75 tons of Pinot Gris. The fruit is coming in on small clusters with small berries. The brix are perfect and acid is lower, making it a perfect year for our whole cluster fermentation. This vintage brings to mind 2000, a vintage whose wines are drinking beautifully right now
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: 2012 Oregon Growing Season

by Hoke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:26 pm

And weather is holding for the next week, temps high at 69/72, with no sign of rain. One little spot of negligible rain during the summer/early fall, and that's it.

So it's looking good for grapelets.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:38 pm

On the other hand, now that some nightly cold air is coming in the leaves may get frosty and drop, thereby shutting down any growth/ripening. Still be able to allow some hang time, so sweetening may occur, but no further ripening. Still looks like a very good harvest.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:44 am

It's turning cold fast, isn't it? Last week we had to leave here at 6 a.m. for an 8:00 appt in Seattle. It was warmish in the low 50's when we pulled out of our driveway in the dark but a surprising mere 38 by the time we passed through Everett.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov