Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Rain/WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Rain/WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:00 am

bsd
Falling from the sky and seeding the ground.A connection which actualy helps sustain life.
And sometimes its very pitter pattter can sing a song.
Kind of the same with us.Taking the tools were naturaly given and elevating them beyond the self
we can dance so very high.
have a good one ; h
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

Re: Rain/WeeksEnd wine

by YoelA » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:19 pm

On tap for tonight: 2009 Don Ernesto Crescendo, a mainly cabernet blend from Hagafen. the Don Ernesto wines have not disappointed yet.
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Friday night: Tishbi Estate Merlot 2007,Barkan Tzapit 2009, Barkan Pinotage 2007,DaltonPetit Syrah 2010, Shiloh Mor 2009
Shabbat Lunch: Recanati Petit Syrah Zinfandel 2010, Carmel Cab Franc 2008
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Shavua tov Harry,

Friday night:

Midbar, Red 55 2008: Really a nice and different Israeli Bordeaux blend.

Shabbat lunch:

Binyamina, Zinfandel Reserve 2008: Initially planned on having this one in the sukka, I couldn't resist to this old love of mine (I was offered 2 bottles last week). Best vintage so far, yet it has evolved since the last time I had it almost a year ago. The color has turned from purple to more red-ish, the tannins have mellowed a bit, and it's now clearly tasting like a Zin but an excellent one! :D

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Harry.
Gvaot Herodion Vineyards Dance 2008 and Merlot 2009.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi Harry
Ella Valley Syrah 2007 - Enjoyed immensely
Hagafen Lodi Roussanne 2006 - this was well off peak and barely drinkable. Might have been a result of bad storage conditions. I bought it from a local wine shop which could have had it sitting on the shelf for a few years.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:34 am

Hi; galil mt barbera 07 drinking nicely but still has that twist in the finish. And here's a shocker,Anav cabernet 2002,this wine is fine.full bodied some fruit on the pallete,licorice and a medium finish. H
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:55 am

2007 Yarden Merlot this weekend. Not sure what I am going to have over the first 2 days of Sukkot, but I'll be at home with my entire cellar theoretically available (let's face it - some wines are being held for future events and are not really options).
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:38 am

Recanati Special Reserve 2007 - Excellent, opened up quickly and was enjoyable throughout the meal. Paired with a 40 oz Dry Aged Rib Steak. Shabbos day - La Trappe Quadruple Barrique Aged Beer - very good and the peaty oak flavor was unusual in a good way but definitely not worth the $20 for a 12.7 oz bottle.
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:06 am

Friday night: Shirah Counterpunch 2010. Reticent on the nose. Dark fruits. Wife really liked it. I remember it being a bit more forward a few months ago but I had a little congestion so my nose/ taster may have been off.
Saturday- my last bottle of 2009 Covenant Lavan Chardonnay.Fruit has faded a bit. Seemed quite oaky. I think the 2008 is holding up better. I have one more bottle of that so I'll find out soon.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:23 pm

indeed Jonathan, the 2008 covenant lavan is really lovely and is not a wine that needs to be rushed. I just had it over Rosh Hashanah, and it was only great after four hours, so there is no reason to rush this wine.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Fri Night - came off a transcon flight a little stuffy so went with a Amarcord Birra Da Tavola. Nice Blonde ale.
Sat Lunch - Glass of Gamla CS 2010 and a short bottle of Duvel. Both fine.
no avatar
User

Marc G

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 pm

by Marc G » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:33 pm

2000 Patris
2003 Covenant
2007 Prix Sav Blanc
no avatar
User

Joel D Parker

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:32 am

by Joel D Parker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:27 am

Had the 2010 Barbara by Ramot Naftali with osso buccu. Very impressive acid, restrained but pleasant fruit, an array of spices (I want to say nutmeg, anise and cumin?) and a decent finish, even on day two. A bit too much citrus there on the mid-palate for my tastes, but a very good effort indeed. It worked well with the osso buccu which had a heavy sauce with some lemon peel grated into it. The acid cut through the sauce amazingly and the wine as a whole was certainly big enough to handle the juicy veal and bone marrow with its bold Israeli structure and its 14%+ alcohol. By far the best Israeli Barbara known to me or any anyone I've asked who's tried this wine. Payed about 130nis, which unfortunately, makes it more expensive than some good Italian Barbara D'Albas out there. Still, if you are looking for kosher Israel, I really do recommend this wine.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:49 pm

2009 Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon

Needed about 4 hours and then.. .. I think this will be a good one :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi Harry,

Having contracted a stomach flu, and a running a fever Friday night, I was not consuming much alcohol and when I did I suspect that my perception was off.

Tzora Shoresh Blanc 2009 - This is a dry wine made primarily of Gewurztraminer (85%) with the remainder Chardonnay. My qualifying statement not withstanding, I'm starting to believe that the best style of Gewurz is that which is off-dry or technically even sweet, containing up to 1.5% residual sugar. I have several more bottles and I'll labor through them. If I'm not mistaken Tzora decided that the Shoresh Blanc will no longer be made of Gewurztraminer. I suspect they'll start making it of Sauvignon Blanc, reserving the Gewurztraminer grapes solely for their dessert wine, the Shoresh Or.

Best,
-> Pinchas
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Joel D Parker wrote:Had the 2010 Barbara by Ramot Naftali with osso buccu. Very impressive acid, restrained but pleasant fruit, an array of spices (I want to say nutmeg, anise and cumin?) and a decent finish, even on day two. A bit too much citrus there on the mid-palate for my tastes, but a very good effort indeed. It worked well with the osso buccu which had a heavy sauce with some lemon peel grated into it. The acid cut through the sauce amazingly and the wine as a whole was certainly big enough to handle the juicy veal and bone marrow with its bold Israeli structure and its 14%+ alcohol. By far the best Israeli Barbara known to me or any anyone I've asked who's tried this wine. Payed about 130nis, which unfortunately, makes it more expensive than some good Italian Barbara D'Albas out there. Still, if you are looking for kosher Israel, I really do recommend this wine.

Hi Joel,

I did not find it in Israel during my last visit in late August. Their website has an ambiguous statement that might be interpreted as meaning that they will no longer be producing a Barbera.

As an aside, I tried another Israeli attempt at producing an Italian styled wine, the Rosso from Lueria, but I walked away not all that impressed.

Best,
-> Pinchas